DIGITAL EAR THERMOMETER
Model: CTD 504
PARTS NAMES / Display Symbols
PRECAUTIONS (Intended Use)
- The CTD504 is a clinical electronic thermometer that uses an infrared sensor to
detect the body temperature of people of any age from the auditory canal in a
- Do not use the CTD504 as a replacement for medical advice. Consult your
doctor if you have any concerns.
- ONLY the CTD504 probe tip is waterproof. Do not immerse it in water or any other liquid.
- Do not drop the CTD504, and avoid any strong impact.
- Do not use the CTD504 on any body part other than your ear.
- Do not move or shake your body while measuring.
- Do not use for any purpose other than the intended use. The manufacturer is not
liable for misuse.
- The CTD504 can measure up to six times a day. To know your normal body
temperature range, we suggest you measure regularly.
- If any damage occurs to the sensor inside the probe tip or to the unit itself,
return the product to your local distributor.
- Keep the CTD504 away from children. Do not let them use the CTD504 on their
own. They may choke on the battery or tiny component parts by accident.
- Install a new CR2032 lithium battery when the power is low. Use of any other
battery may lead to inaccurate results or malfunction.
- Without regular recalibration, the results may not be accurate. Every CTD504 is
calibrated right after production. See “Warranty and Recalibration” for details.
- Keep the CTD504 away from sunlight and dusty places.
The CTD504 does not require a probe cover during use. It is important to
clean and disinfect the CTD504 before and after each use. See “Cleaning and
Disinfection” for details.
- When asleep, pressure on the ear may cause higher-than-normal temperature. Wait a few minutes, and then measure again.
- Clean your external ear before measuring. To ensure an accurate result, keep your ear free from obstructions or excess earwax.
- The measuring results from the left and right ears may differ slightly. We recommend measuring in the same ear.
- Before measuring, the user and the CTD504 should be in a steady room temperature for at least 30 minutes. The user should also rest for 30 minutes after exercising.
HOW TO OPERATE
- Press the |/O button. The LCD screen displays all digital segments.
- If the CTD504 has saved past results, the LCD screen automatically displays the latest result.
3. When C or F fl ashes with a short beep, the CTD504 is ready to use.
- To improve accuracy, follow the illustrations below. For adults, pull the ear up and back. For infants and children, pull the ear back.
2. Fit the probe tip into the ear canal, and then press the START button. Release the button and wait a few seconds until you hear a long beep.
3. Take the CTD504 out of the ear canal. The LCD displays the latest measuring result. Without any operation, the CTD504 automatically shuts off after 1 minute.
Note: Before re-measurement, wait 1 – 3 minutes.
HOW TO SWITCH FROM CTO F
- BATTERY flashes: You can still measure, but the accuracy may not impaired.
- BATTERY lights or no reaction at all: Change the battery as soon as possible.
Note: Change the battery away from small children and any source of heat.
- Press the upper part of the battery cap to unlock it.Insert the tip of a tool into the gap at the side of the battery compartment. Remove the worn-out battery.
- Insert a new CR2032 lithium battery into the CTD504, according to the polarities in the figure. Push it firmly into place with a “click”, then replace the cap.
The CTD504 does not require a probe cover during use. Clean and disinfect the
CTD504 before and after each use. If you wish to share the CTD504 with others,
follow the instructions below.
- Cotton bud: Available in supermarkets.
- 70 % concentration alcohol swab: Available in supermarkets.
Note: Dispose of used cotton buds and alcohol swabs in accordance with local regulations.
Cleaning : Probe area
Use a clean cotton bud to wipe off any visible dirt or ear wax. Gently wipe the area
Note: The most delicate and sensitive part of the CTD504 is the sensor inside the
probe tip. Poking it with force may cause damage to the CTD504. When cleaning,
take extra care.
Hold the CTD504 facing down to prevent water getting into the CTD504. Use an
alcohol swab to clean the probe area in a circular motion for 15 seconds (around 20
DISINFECTION (Probe & Exterior Area)
- Hold the CTD504 facing down to prevent water getting into the CTD504. Use an alcohol swab to clean the probe area in a circular motion for 15 seconds (around 20 times).
- Then, use the same alcohol swab to wipe the exterior area back and forth for another 15 seconds (around 20 times).
- Wait at least 30 seconds until the CTD504 is completely dry.
Continue to set units on the next page, and start measuring. Repeat the steps above when measurement is done.
Do not use detergent or any strong chemicals on the CTD504.
The CTD504 has a built-in “Fever Alert” feature. If you have a fever between 37.5 °C – 43.0 °C (99.5 °F – 109.4 °F), the “Fever Alert” function will inform you by a fl ashing result, red LED backlight, and a series of beeps.
Do not use the CTD504 as a replacement for medical advice. Consult your doctor if
you have any concerns.
MAINTENANCE and STORAGE
- If you will not use the CTD504 for over 2 months, remove the battery from the
- Always store the CTD504 in its container after use.
- ONLY the CTD504 probe tip is waterproof. Do not dip it in water or any other
- Keep the CTD504 away from:
• Extreme temperatures
• Overly humid or dry environment
• Direct sunlight
• Dusty places.
- For details of environmental conditions, refer to “Specifi cations”. Using the
CTD504 outside the stated range may lead to inaccurate results or malfunction.
- Do not disassemble or change any parts of the CTD504. Such action may
reduce its accuracy.
- Do not drop the CTD504, and avoid any strong impact.
ABOUT THE EAR THERMOMETER
Normal body temperature differs by body parts, time and age. Here are two tables
for your reference:
- Normal Body Temperature Range
Source: Offi cial Health Central, http://www.offi cialhealthcentral.com.
2. Figure: Diurnal Variations in Body Temperature
Source: 1911, Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th edition, Volume 2, Part 1, Slice 1, p95.
This product conforms to the provisions of the EC directive
93/42/EEC (Medical Device Directive). And also complies
with following standards (included but not limited):
EN 60601-1 Medical electrical equipment part 1: General requirements for safety
EN 60601-1-2 Medical electrical equipment part 1-2: General requirements for
safety- Collateral standard: Electromagnetic compatibility- Requirements and tests
EN 12470-5, Clinical thermometers – Part 5: Performance of infra-red ear
thermometers (with maximum device)
Follow instructions for use.
Warranty & Recalibration
Warranty For One Year from Manufacturing Date
CITIZEN SYSTEMS JAPAN Co., Ltd. grants a 1 year warranty on the product
commencing on the date of purchase. Within the limited time, we will eliminate any
defects in the appliance resulting from faults in the material or workmanship free of
Please note that this service does not cover damage caused by misuse or abuse;
accident; the attachment of any unauthorized accessory; alteration to the product;
improper installation; unauthorized repairs or modifi cation; improper use of
electrical/power supply; loss of power; dropped product; malfunction or damage
of an operation part due to failure to provide the manufacturer’s recommended
maintenance; transportation damage; theft; neglect; vandalism; or environmental
conditions; loss of use during the period the product is at a repair facility or
otherwise awaiting parts or repair; or any other conditions whatsoever that are
beyond the control of the importers or distributors.
Every CTD504 is properly calibrated right after production. We recommend that USERs bring the CTD504 to certain laboratories every 2 years for proper recalibration. The CTD504 does not need periodic recalibration, if the user handles it according
to this manual.
Questions about your Manual ? Post in the comments!