3-in-1 Thermometer Instruction
Scope of delivery:
– 1 x contactless thermometer
– 2 x AAA Alkaline batteries
– 1 x instruction manual
1. Measuring sensor
2. Illuminated display
3. Mode key
(to switch between body and object temperature)
4. Memory key (measured value memory)
5. Signal sound key (to switch the signal tone on or off)
6. LED warning light (3 colours)
7. On/off key and scan key
8. Battery compartment
9. C/F switch
(to switch between measuring in centigrade or Fahrenheit)
10. Measured value
11. Signal tone icon
12. Battery condition icon
13. Object/ambient temperature icon
14. Body temperature icon
16. Memory icon
17. Position in measured value memory
Contactless infra-red thermometer
Congratulations on your purchase of a new reer thermometer. With this innovative thermometer you can measure body temperature at the temples reliably in a matter of seconds. The contactless temperature measuring guarantees safe and hygienic measuring and reduces the transmission of viruses or other germs. Thanks to its background lighting and the option of switching off the signal tone, it is possible for you to measure your child‘s temperature at night in the dark without waking them. In addition, you can quickly and easily determine the temperature of surfaces (e.g. the surface temperature of bathwater, baby bottles) and the surrounding temperature thanks to the extended measuring range from 0°C to 100°C. The unique measuring technology with a modern infra-red sensor guarantees that every measurement is precise and reliable if applied correctly. We are convinced that you will enjoy the quality of our products for many years to come.
Please read the instruction manual before using the device for the first time to be able to make use of all the advantages this device offers. Please keep the instruction manual in a safe place for future reference.
General safety instructions
- Check the device for visible damage before each use. If you detect any damage, the device may not be used.
- The thermometer is intended for private use.
- Always see a doctor in case of high fever or ambiguous measuring results.
- Children should not use the device without help from adults. Medical products are not toys.
- The infra-red technology in your reer thermometer is absolutely safe. Although it is not harmful to look through the lens while the temperature is being measured, it is not recommended.
- The device may not be opened, with the exception of the cover on the battery compartment. No modifications may be made to the device. If a device should not work correctly, please contact your dealer.
- Keep the battery out of reach of children. There is a risk of swallowing.
- Do not subject the device to physical shocks.
- Avoid direct heat and sunlight.
- The thermometer is not water-proof and must not be immersed in water or directly in liquid.
Some information on temperature measurements at the temples
The contactless thermometer measures the infra-red energy at the temples emitted by the skin. In this process, the value of the energy emitted at the temple is measured and, together with the ambient temperature, converted into a body temperature value. The measuring result is shown within one second.
A fever condition is present if the body temperature rises above 38 degree Celsius. Fever is a sign of our body battling with pathogens. Measurements from various body parts should not be compared, since a temperature range is normal for a human body even in a fever-free condition. There may also be variations in the body temperature, depending on the time of day and the age of the person. Basically, we distinguish between the body core temperature and the surface temperature.
The body core temperature (rectal measurement) may quite normally be higher compared to the surface temperature (measured at the temple), depending on the fever trend. When the temperature is rising, the body conserves the heat internally. This leads to the skin cooling down temporarily, despite the existing fever condition. In this case, the surface temperature measured with the contactless thermometer may be extraordinarily low. In this case, we recommend a second measurement with a traditional clinical thermometer suitable for rectal measuring to check.
We recommend measuring the body core temperature with a rectal clinical thermometer in the following cases:
- If the measuring result is surprisingly low
- For new-born babies during the first 100 days
- For children under the age of 3 with a vulnerable immune system or who react alarmingly in case of fever or the absence of fever.
If you are unsure about the interpretation of the results or in case of abnormal values (e.g. fever), you should consult a physician.
Before first use
Before using the thermometer for the first time, the batteries must be inserted. Make sure the polarity (+/–) of the batteries is correct.
Used batteries do not belong in normal household waste. The batteries included must not be recharged or reactivated by other means, may not be disassembled or exposed to fire or short-circuited. Batteries must be disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner. Remove the batteries from the device if it is not to be used for lengthy periods of time.
Measuring body temperature
The thermometer was developed to measure the body temperature above the eyebrows in the area between forehead and temple. If you measure in another part of the body, the measuring data may be inaccurate.
- Before each measurement, ensure that the sensor is clean. If it is not, please clean the device as described on page 20.
- Check if the forehead is damp (cool skin effect). It must be absolutely dry.
- Make sure the temples are free of dirt and cosmetics. Avoid measuring on possibly existing scars.
- Vasoconstrictive medication may affect the measuring value.
- Portable and mobile communication devices may affect the device.
- Wait for at least 30 minutes before measuring after doing
- sports or exercise, after a bath or after a meal.
- If possible, only use the thermometer indoors, not outdoors. External influences such as wind and the outside temperature can affect the measuring result.
- If the device has been in an environment with extreme temperatures, keep it at room temperature for at least one hour before measuring.
- If the thermometer is held in your hand for too long before measuring, the device heats up. This can affect the measuring result.
The thermometer has an optical LED warning indication installed that warns in case of increased body temperature.
If the LED on the device lights up red during the temperature measurement, the body temperature should be constantly monitored and a physician should be consulted if the condition of the person is ambiguous.
Use of this device in no way replaces a physician‘s examination. Always see a doctor in case of high fever or ambiguous measuring results.
Measuring object/ ambient temperature
Liquids should be measured outside the container, if possible, to avoid the deposition of moisture on the sensor.
The device is not water-proof and thus must not be immersed in water or directly in liquid.
The „object/ambient temperature“ mode only displays the radiation temperature of the surface/room temperature and does not give any indication regarding the body temperature. This measuring mode thus cannot be used for measuring a fever temperature.
After about 30 seconds of inactivity, the device switches off.
Measured value memory
The thermometer automatically saves the temperature values of the last 19 measurements. If the 19 memory slots are exceeded, the oldest available value is overwritten.
Cleaning and maintenance
The sensor is the most sensitive part of the infra-red thermometer. Please make sure you don‘t touch or scratch the surface of the measuring sensor. If the sensor is dirty, carefully clean it with a cotton swab soaked with alcohol or a mild detergent (e.g. a highly diluted dish washing detergent). Do not use any aggressive cleaning agents. Clean the case and display with a soft dry cloth or an alcohol pad. The device is not water-proof and thus must not be immersed in water or exposed to direct humidity. Remove the batteries from the device if it is not to be used for lengthy periods of time. This product does not require any special maintenance. Repairs must be carried out by skilled personnel only.
As a rule, an inspection of the thermometer is not required. For devices used in medical practice, the German Medical Products Operator Ordinance of 29 June 1998 requires a metrological control after 2 years.
Legal basis for putting the device in circulation in the EU: The manufacturer has been certified by the certification agency SGS United Kingdom Ltd. as the body nominated by the EU according to the Directive 93/42/EEC for medical products.
This device complies with the European standard EN60601- 1-2 on electromagnetic compatibility and the ASTM E 1965 „standard specifications for infra-red thermometers for intermittent determination of patient temperature“
Please retain your receipt, the user manual and part number. Warranty claims or claims from promises of guarantee must be processed by the dealer. The technical specification, information and characteristics of the product described herein have been compiled to the best of our knowledge and belief and are correct at the time of printing. Any information provided by reer should be correct and authoritative. Nevertheless, reer does not accept liability for potential errors in this document and reserves the right to make changes to the product design and/or specifications without prior notice.
Reproduction and disclosure of information contained in this copyright-protected document, in any form or by any means – graphical, electronic or mechanical by photocopying, recording on tape or storage in a data retrieval system (even in part), require prior written consent from reer.
At the end of its life, this product must not be disposed of as normal domestic waste, but should be recycled at a collection point for electrical appliances. Please see the relevant symbol on the product, in the user manual and packaging. Materials can be recycled as specified.
Do not put used batteries into household waste. Instead they should be disposed of as hazardous waste or with a battery collection station provided by the dealer. An important contribution to the protection of the environment can be made by reusing the unit, recycling its components or otherwise reusing old appliances. Please contact your local council to find out more about an appropriate disposal centre.
Questions about your Manual ? Post in the comments!