AIMS Solar Charge Controller User Manual
This device is a PWM 12/24V 30A charge controller used in solar applications. Its flush mount design is ideal for solar power systems in RV’s, boats and vehicles. Carefully read the manual before installation.
- PCBA common negative design, necessary for all negative grounded solar power systems.
- 12/24V auto recognition. Lithium battery must be set manually set.
- PWM 3-phase charging: equalize – boost- float (for Flooded, AGM and GEL).
- Easy to use settings. User defined parameters for lithium battery. SJ Flush mount design for convenient installation.
- Back lit LCD display (system status, current, voltage, voltage value settings, etc).
- Easy to use menu buttons.
- SV USB port for mobile device charging.
- Temperature compensation for better battery maintenance in extreme environments.
- Multiple built in protections including solar reverse connection, battery reverse connection, battery over-discharge and over voltage.
- The battery must be connected to the controller first.
- Please note that the maximum solar (PV) input voltage is SSV open circuit voltage (OCV). Do not use solar panel(s) with working voltage (VMP) of more than 40V (refer to solar (PV) module specs).
- Note the maximum solar (PV) input power is 450W/12V or 900W/24V. Do not exceed the rated power.
- Do not change any settings in the “LI” battery mode if you are not using a lithium battery.
- In the LI battery mode, you must set the battery system voltage (12 or 24V) manually. SET THE VOLTAGE FIRST, then set the charging voltage.
- If you would like to check the information in the “Li” battery mode settings, but not alter any settings, remember to set the correct voltage set (12 or 24V) before exiting from the settings.
- For maximum PWM charge efficiency, we suggest using solar panels with an output of 18V (VMP) for a 12V battery system, and 36V (VMP) panel for 24V battery systems. You can still use panels with lower voltages but it may lead to a slightly lower charge efficiency. In all cases the solar (PV) input voltage (VMP) must be higher than the battery system voltage.
- For added safety and protection we suggest using a DC breaker or fuse between both the solar panel and the controller, as well as between the controller and the battery.
|Parameter set button|
Solar input wiring terminal
|Battery wiring terminal|
- First: Connect the battery first.
- Last: Connect the solar panel second, use 10AWG PV wire.
You can check system information using the LCD display, including PV input voltage, charge current, battery voltage, battery capacity, controller temperature, error code and battery setting pages.
Solar (PV), Battery & Charge Indications
|PV Indication||ON||PV volt higher than light control volt|
|OFF||PV volt lower than light control volt|
|Slow flash ON||Charging|
|Fast flash ON||PV over voltage|
|Battery Indication||ON||Battery is ok|
|OFF||Battery is not ok|
|Fast flash ON||Battery over discharged|
|No flow||No charge|
OPERATION & SETTINGS PAGES
Button Setting Info
There are 2 buttons on the controller for operations and settings. Check the below diagram for setting details:
|In Setting||Press & hold||Enter page|
|Quickly press||Enter next page for settings|
|Not in Setting||Press & hold||Enter page for settings|
|Quickly press||Enter next page|
||In Setting||Press & hold||No function|
|Quickly press||To adjust parameter|
|Not in Setting||Press & hold||No function|
|Quickly press||No function|
Remarks: “In Setting” means the user is in process of setting parameters.
BATTERY TYPE & PARAMETER SETTINGS
Battery Type Setting
|FLD||Flooded Battery||Battery system voltage auto recognition; parameters set.|
|LI||Lithium Battery||System voltage, charge/ discharge parameters, adjustable.|
Battery System Voltage Setting (only for lithium battery, set manually)
Charge Voltage Setting (only for lithium battery)
CONTROLLER ERROR INFO & RECOVERY
The controller may display an error code on the LCD screen if there is an issue in the system. If this happens please refer to the below diagram:
|E01||Over-discharged||The battery has been discharged below normal ranges.||Recovered once battery voltage returns to normal range. An alternate charge source may be required depending on depth of discharge|
|E02||Over voltage||The battery voltage exceeds the normal range.||Recovered after the battery voltage returns to the normal range. It is possible that the battery may be defective.|
|E06||Device over heating||Charge shuts down due to high temperature inside the controller||Recovered after temperature returns to the normal range.|
|E08||Input over load||The solar (PV) input power exceeds the rated value||Recovered after the solar (PV) input power is within the controller ratings.|
|E10||PV over voltage||The solar (PV) input voltage is too high.||Recovered after the solar (PV) input voltage is within the controller ratings.|
|E13||PV anti-connection||Solar (PV) module +- polarity reverse-connection||Correct the + and – solar connection.|
|E14||Battery anti-connection||Battery+- polarity reverse-connection||Correct the + and – battery connection.|
|No-load Loss||8ma (12V) , 12ma (24V)|
|Max PV Input Voltage||< 55Voc|
|Rated Change Current||30A|
|Max PV Input Power||450W/12V; 900W/24V|
|Battery Type Selection||FLD||SEL||GEL||LI|
|Equalize Charge Voltage||14.8V (12V)
|/||14.6V (12V) / 29.2V (24V)|
|Boost Charge Voltage||14.6V (12V) 29.2V (24V)||/||14.4V (12V) / 28.8V (24V)||14.2V (12V) / 28.4V (24V)||14.2V (12V) / 28.2V (24V) adjustable|
|Float Charge Voltage||13.8V (12V)/ 27.6V (24V)||—|
|Boost Charge Recovery Volt||13.2V (12V) / 26.4V (24V)||—|
|Over Discharge Recovery Volt.||12.6V (12V) / 252V (24V)||11.0V (12V) /
21.0V (24V ) ‘auto adjusted
to over-discharge volt
|Over Discharge Voltage||11.1V(12V) / 22.2V(24V)||10.0V (12V) / 20.0V (24V) adjustable|
|Light Control Voltage||5V(12V system) , 1OV(24V system)|
|Light Control Delay Time||lOs|
|Operation Temperature||-35°C — +45°C|
|Net Weight||1 lb|
|Controller Size||6.67″ x 5.12″ x 184″|
Documents / Resources
|AIMS Solar Charge Controller [pdf] User Manual|
AIMS, Solar, Charge, Controller, PWM 12, 24V, 30A, charge controller