Instructions For Use
Kinsa Smart Ear 2-Button Thermometer
Thank you for purchasing the Kinsa Smart Ear Thermometer™, a professionally accurate instrument for fast and easy temperature taking in the ear. Please read these instructions carefully to ensure accurate temperatures and safe operation.
Your Kinsa Smart Ear Thermometer is designed for use with or without a mobile device. For the full experience including features such as symptom tracking and fever guidance, download the Kinsa app on the iTunes or Google Play store and connect your thermometer to your mobile device. To see the full list of supported devices, see kinsahealth.com/devices.
A. Power On/Start button
C. Probe tip
E. Bluetooth pairing button
F. Battery door
G. °C/°F switch
H. Protective cap
I. Kinsa mobile app
Indications For Use
The Kinsa Smart Ear Thermometer is intended to measure the human body temperature in the ear. This device is reusable for clinical or home use on both adults and children.
Warnings And Precautions
- This thermometer functions with most Apple and Android mobile devices. Please see kinsahealth.com/devices for the full list of supported devices.
- Clean the probe before and after use.
- Never use the thermometer for purposes other than body temperature measurement.
- Please follow the safety precautions when using on children.
- The operating ambient temperature range for this thermometer is 60.8 °F~95 °F (16 °C~35 °C).
- Do not expose the thermometer to temperature extremes: (below -13 °F / -25 °C or over 131 °F / 55 °C) or excessive humidity (>85% RH).
- Use of this thermometer is not intended as a substitute for consultation with your physician.
- High, prolonged fever requires medical attention. Be sure to contact your physician.
- The thermometer is water resistant, not waterproof. Never dip the thermometer into water or other liquids. Do not boil the probe. For cleaning and disinfecting, please see Cleaning and Storage.
- Keep out of reach of unattended children. Do not allow children to walk or run while taking a temperature.
Features of your Kinsa Smart Ear Thermometer
- Fast 1 second reading.
- Meets ASTM & ISO standards for professional accuracy.
- Gentle and easy to use in the ear.
- No probe covers needed.
- Conveniently displays in °F or °C.
- Water resistant, for safe cleaning.
- Use with or without your mobile device. Connects via Bluetooth Low Energy.
- Additional Smart functionality available through Kinsa app.
Temperature readings vary from person to person, by age, time of day, and by site of
measurement. For example, core body temperature often decreases with age. The
best method to determine your own normal temperature is to use the thermometer
when you are feeling well. Record your temperature twice a day (early morning and late afternoon) using the Kinsa app. Take the average of the two temperatures. This is
considered your normal body temperature. Any variation from it may indicate some
sort of illness and you should consult your physician.
Why Measure in the Ear?
Ear temperatures accurately reflect core body temperature, since the ear drum shares
a blood supply with the temperature control center in the brain: the hypothalamus.1
The Kinsa Smart Ear Thermometer monitors the infrared heat radiated from the
eardrum and surrounding tissue and detects once an accurate temperature
measurement has been taken.
To Set Up Your Thermometer For First Time Use
Open the battery door . Use the °C/°F switch to select the temperature scale for your display.
Insert two AAA batteries (included) into the thermometer. Snap battery door into place.
Enable Bluetooth on your mobile device.
Download the Kinsa app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play. The app can also be downloaded by going directly to kinsahealth.com/download. Please see kinsahealth.com/devices for the full list of supported devices.
Launch the Kinsa app. (The app will be on your Home screen or in your Apps folder depending on type of mobile device.)
Tap Set Up Now for your model of Ear thermometer, then follow the prompts to install your thermometer.
Your thermometer is now successfully connected to your mobile device. For future temperature readings, open the Kinsa app to automatically sync readings to your mobile device and assign to individual family members, add notes or symptoms/medications, and see fever guidance.
To Set Up Your Thermometer with Another Mobile Device
1.On the original phone, disable Bluetooth (until you get the new device paired with the Ear)
2. Reset the thermometer by first pressing and holding the small white Bluetooth button E on the left side of the thermometer.
3. Next press and hold the large round power button A located above the LCD screen.
4. Keep holding both buttons A + E down for 5-7 seconds until the screen resets. The screen will start flashing, beep, and then display the Bluetooth icon at the top.
5. Follow the prompts in the app to pair.
6. Your thermometer is now successfully connected to your new mobile device(s).
Taking a Temperature
- Tap the Power/Start button A to turn on the thermometer. You will hear a
beep when the thermometer is ready to take a temperature. During an internal self-check, the display shows all segments. The thermometer will be ready for temperature taking when the screen shows three dashes.
2. Fit the probe snuggly into the ear canal then push and release the
a. For infants under the age of 1, gently tug the ear straight back to straighten the ear canal and ensure an accurate temperature reading
b. For children over the age of 1 and adults, gently tug the ear straight up and back.
3. A beep will indicate when the temperature measurement is successfully completed. Temperature readings typically take 1 second.
4. The temperature reading will be shown on the illuminated display. A smiley
face will indicate a low, medium, or high temperature.
5. The thermometer will automatically turn off after 30 seconds of inactivity.
The display will briefly flash OFF and it will go blank.
NOTE: Always take measurements in the same ear since temperature readings may
differ from the right and left ear.
Kinsa recommends taking your temperature three times in the same ear and using the
highest of those readings. This is especially important if you meet the following criteria:
- Children under three with a compromised immune system
- Individuals unfamiliar with this thermometer
Understanding Your Thermometer Display
Changing The Temperature Scale
If you wish to change the temperature scale of your thermometer:
- Open the battery door F
- Remove batteries
- Use the °C/°F switch G to select the temperature scale for your display
- Replace batteries and battery door
NOTE: temperature scale in app can be changed within app settings.
Cleaning And Storage
To ensure your Smart Ear thermometer is recording accurate temperatures, it is very important to keep the probe sensor tip clean. To clean the probe tip, gently wipe it with a cotton swab or soft cloth moistened with alcohol. Gently circle the alcohol wipe around the inner sensor area at the tip of the Smart Ear. Be sure to clean the inner flat surface of the sensor – not just the rim. Never submerge your Kinsa or put it in boiling water or a dishwasher.
Keep the protective cap snapped onto the top of the thermometer when not in use to protect the tip from damage.
Replacing The Batteries
The thermometer is supplied with two AAA batteries. To ensure accurate temperatures, replace batteries when they are low. A low battery will be indicated on the display with a flashing icon.
Open the battery door F. Remove old batteries and replace with new batteries, making sure the poles are in the right direction. Snap battery door into place.
Caution: To protect the environment, dispose of the product and empty batteries at
your retail store or at appropriate collection sites according to national or local regulations.
This thermometer is initially calibrated at the time of manufacture. If this thermometer
is used according to the use instructions, periodic re-adjustment is not required. If at
any time you question the accuracy of temperature measurements, please contact
- Do not mix alkaline, standard or rechargeable batteries.
- Changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate this device.
This thermometer conforms to the following standards:
ASTM Standard E 1965-98:2009 Standard Specification for Infrared Thermometers for Intermittent Determination of Patient Temperature
EN 12470-5: 2003 «Clinical thermometers» – Part 5: Performance of infrared ear thermometers (with maximum device)
IEC/EN 60601-1: 3/96 «Medical electrical equipment» – Part 1: General requirements for safety
IEC/EN 60601-1-2:2014 «Medical electrical equipment» – Part 1-2: General requirements for safety – electromagnetic disturbances and electromagnetic emissions
IEC 60601-1-11:2010 «Medical electrical equipment» – Part 1-11: General requirements for basic safety and essential performance – Requirements for medical electrical equipment and medical electrical systems used in the home healthcare environment
FCC Rules – This device complies with part 15 of FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions; (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
535 Mission Street, 18th Fl
San Francisco, CA 94105
Customer Support: [email protected]
Kinsa, Inc warrants this product against any defects that are due to faulty material or
workmanship for a period of one year from the original date of consumer purchase or
receipt as a gift. This warranty applies when used for normal household use in
accordance with the Instructions for Use and excludes the battery and damage to the
product resulting from accident or misuse. This product is not warranted when used in
a professional environment.
In no event shall Kinsa, Inc be liable for any special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages in connection with the purchase or use of this product or costs over the original cost of the product.
If the product should not perform to specifications within the warranty period, please
contact Customer Support.
Explanation of Symbols
Questions about your Manual ? Post in the comments!