Whirlpool W10648064A Gas Cooktop
WARNING: If the information in this manual is not followed exactly, a fire or explosion may result causing property damage, personal injury or death.
– Do not store or use gasoline or other flammable vapors and liquids in the vicinity of this or any other appliance.
– WHAT TO DO IF YOU SMELL GAS:
- Do not try to light any appliance.
- Do not touch any electrical switch.
- Immediately call your gas supplier from a neighbor’s phone. Follow the gas supplier’s instructions.
- If you cannot reach your gas supplier, call the fire department.
– Installation and service must be performed by a qualified installer, service agency or the gas supplier.
WARNING: Gas leaks cannot always be detected by smell.
Gas suppliers recommend that you use a gas detector approved by UL or CSA.
For more information, contact your gas supplier.
If a gas leak is detected, follow the “What to do if you smell gas” instructions.
State of California Proposition 65 Warnings:
WARNING: This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer.
WARNING: This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire, electrical shock, injury to persons, or damage when using the cooktop, follow basic precautions, including the following:
- WARNING: NEVER use this appliance as a space heater to heat or warm the room. Doing so may result in carbon monoxide poisoning and overheating of the cooktop.
- CAUTION: Do not store items of interest to children in cabinets above the cooktop – children climbing on the cooktop to reach items could be seriously injured.
- Proper Installation – The cooktop, when installed, must be electrically grounded in accordance with local codes or, in the absence of local codes, with the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA70 or the Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1. Be sure the cooktop is properly installed and grounded by a qualified technician.
- This cooktop is equipped with a three-prong grounding plug for your protection against shock hazard and should be plugged directly into a properly grounded receptacle. Do not cut or remove the grounding prong from this plug.
- Disconnect the electrical supply before servicing the cooktop.
- Injuries may result from the misuse of the cooktop such as stepping, leaning, or sitting on the top surface.
- Maintenance – Keep cooktop area clear and free from combustible materials, gasoline, and other flammable vapors and liquids.
- Storage on the cooktop – Flammable materials should not be stored on or near surface units.
- Top burner flame size should be adjusted so it does not extend beyond the edge of the cooking utensil.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
KEY USAGE TIPS
LP Gas Conversion
IMPORTANT: This cooktop is factory set for use with Natural gas. If you wish to use Liquid Propane (LP), call a licensed professional to install the LP gas conversion kit (included).
Placement of Burner Heads and Caps
All burner caps and burner bases should be properly installed BEFORE operating the cooktop. Check that each burner has the right size head and cap.
Refer to the “Assembling Your Cooktop” section for proper burner head placement details.
Lighting the Burners
IMPORTANT: All burners will click/spark when a knob is pushed in. A burner will light only if the knob is pushed in then turned counterclockwise to IGNITE.
To light the burners:
- Push in the knob.
- Turn the knob counterclockwise to IGNITE. Wait until you see a flame.
- Turn the knob anywhere between Hi and Lo to the desired setting.
Power failure: In case of a power failure, burners can be lit manually.
Hold a lit match near the burner and turn the knob counterclockwise to IGNITE.
Cleaning the Burner: Tips
The burners should be kept clean. Spillovers should be cleaned immediately since they can clog the openings in the burners.
IMPORTANT: Before cleaning, make sure all controls are off and the cooktop is cool. For more information, see the “Care and Cleaning” section.
- Remove the burner cap from the base. Clean the burner cap with hot soapy water and then rinse it.
- Remove the burner base and clean the gas tube opening under the base.
- Clean clogged burner ports with a straight pin, needle or small-gauge wire as shown. Do not use a wooden toothpick or clean in the dishwasher.
- Gently clean the igniter with a damp cloth.
ASSEMBLING YOUR COOKTOP
Assembling the Burners
Check your model number. Then refer to the following for information specific to your burners.
Burner Head Placement
- Burner caps and heads are included with your cooktop.
- Always match the burner head size to the cap size.
- Always line up the hole in the burner head to the electrode.
- The cooktop comes with an extra Melt cap on WCG9 series models. This is a large cap with “MELT” and “FOR SMALLEST BURNER” printed on it. Use this cap over the smallest burner only.
- Standard, SpeedHeat™ and FlexHeat™ burners are similar in assembly. Note that there is no hole in the FlexHeat™ dual flame burner head to insert the electrode. The FlexHeat™ burner electrode (C) aligns with the semicircle notch in the head (B).
To install the grates, align the feet on the center grate with the indents on the cooktop. Then install the 2 outer grates by aligning the tabs on the center grate with the slots in the outer grates. Be sure to line up the slots and tabs for proper grate alignment.
This burner has the flexibility of two burners in one, providing heat ranges from fast boiling to precise simmering.
- Power: Select Hi for preparing large quantities of food or to boil liquids quickly. For best results, rotate the knob to Hi in the Power range.
- Simmer: Use Simmer to slowly cook foods or to hold a simmer. For best results, rotate the knob to the end of the Simmer range. Only the small flame will light, making this the best burner for simmering or slow cooking.
Accusimmer® and Accusimmer® Plus Burners
The Even-Heat™ Simmer burner is for simmering sauces. Position the knob closer to Melt for a more delicate simmer level.
NOTE: The melt cap is available on WCG9 series models only.
Melt: For melting chocolate or butter or an even more delicate simmer, the melt cap can be used in place of the standard burner cap on the smallest burner. Set the knob to the “Melt” position.
Remove the small burner cap and replace it with the larger Melt cap for delicate simmering. For less delicate simmering, use the small cap.
EZ-2-Lift™ Hinged Cast Iron Grates
Your cooktop comes with hinged grates for easier cleaning. The grates pivot upward and toward the back of the cooktop for easy access under the grates.
The grates will stop once they are moved to their vertical (fully open) position. A 20″ (50.8 cm) minimum clearance from the countertop to the bottom of the upper cabinets/appliances is needed to fully open the grates.
Be sure to return the grates to their normal (down) position once cleaning is complete.
The grates are removable for cleaning.
To attach the grates to their hinges, insert the grate slot over the hinge pin on the back of the cooktop. Be sure to keep the grate angled above the cooktop to avoid scratching the cooktop until the grate is seated on the hinge pin. Then position the grate down onto the cooktop.
Use the SpeedHeat™ burner for rapid boiling, searing and frying. The SpeedHeat™ burner is the left rear burner on 30″ (76.2 cm) models and the center burner on 36″ (91.4 cm) models.
CARE AND CLEANING
IMPORTANT: Before cleaning, make sure all controls are off and the cooktop is cool. Soap, water and a soft cloth or sponge are suggested first unless otherwise noted. Food spills containing acids, such as vinegar and tomato, should be cleaned as soon the cooktop is cool. These spills may affect the finish.
Enhance your new cooktop with the following genuine Whirlpool accessories. For more information on options and ordering, call 1-800-442-9991, or visit us at: www.whirlpool.com/accessories. In Canada, call 1-800-807-6777 or visit us at www.whirlpoolparts.ca.
Gourmet Griddle (optional accessory)
A griddle accessory is available for these cooktops. The griddle provides a large surface for cooking meats, pancakes, sandwiches, etc. It is designed to match the right grate of your cooktop without interfering with the controls. Order Part Number W10685483.
White Ice and Black Ice Collection
To complete the look of your White Ice or Black Ice Whirlpool kitchen appliances, coordinating knobs can be ordered. Gray grates are also available for white models.
Stainless steel color knobs: order Part Number W10698166.
Gray grates: order Part Number W10594440 for model number WCG51US0DW or Part Number W10594443 for model number WCG51US6DW.
COOKING WITH YOUR COOKTOP
Selecting the proper flame size
The flame size should match the cookware you are using. When you adjust the heat, watch the flame, not the knob. A flame larger than the bottom of the cookware wastes energy and will heat the handle.
- High flame – Start food cooking, bring water to a boil, or pan broiling.
- Medium flame – Maintain a slow boil, fry or sauté, thicken sauces, steam, or stew.
- Low flame – Keep food cooking, simmer, or keep food warm.
REMEMBER: When cooktop is in use, the entire cooktop area may become hot.
Ideal cookware should have a flat bottom, straight sides and a well-fitting lid. The material should be medium to heavy thickness.
Rough finishes may scratch the cooktop. Aluminum and copper cookware may be used but may leave permanent marks on the grates or cooktop. Use the chart below as a guide for cookware material.
IMPORTANT: Do not leave empty cookware on a hot surface cooking area or burner.
When canning for long periods, alternate the use of burners between batches to allow time for the most recently used area to cool.
- Center the canner on the gate.
- Do not place the canner on 2 burners at the same time.
For more information, contact your local agricultural department or a company that manufactures home canning products.
First try the solutions suggested here. If you need further assistance or more recommendations that may help you avoid a service call, refer to the warranty page in this manual and scan the code there with your mobile device, or visit www.whirlpool.com/product_help for recommendations that may help you avoid a service call. In Canada, visit http://www.whirlpool.ca.
Contact us by mail with any questions or concerns at the address below:
In the U.S.A.:
Whirlpool Brand Home Appliances
Customer eXperience Center
553 Benson Road
Benton Harbor, MI 49022-2692
Whirlpool Brand Home Appliances
Customer eXperience Centre
200 – 6750 Century Ave.
Mississauga ON L5N 0B7
Please include a daytime phone number in your correspondence