Vicks SmartTemp Thermometer
READ AND SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Thank you for purchasing the Vicks SmartTemp Digital Thermometer, a professionally accurate instrument for fast and easy temperature taking. Using Bluetooth® technology, the thermometer wirelessly connects to your Smartphone device to display temperature readings. Please read these instructions carefully to ensure accurate temperatures and safe operation. When used properly, this high quality product will give you years of accurate, dependable service.
This thermometer is intended for the intermittent measurement and monitoring of human body temperature orally, rectally, or under-the-arm. It can be used on people of all ages except pre-term babies or very small (for gestational age) babies. It is intended for household use only. This thermometer is intended to be used with Apple and Android mobile devices. Please see www.vicksthermometers.com/smarttemp for the full list of supported devices. If you have any questions or comments about the Vicks SmartTemp Digital Thermometer, call our toll-free Consumer Relations line: 1-800-477-0457 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- This product is not intended to diagnose any disease. Use of this thermometer is not intended as a substitute for consultation with your physician
- High, prolonged fever requires medical attention. Please consult your physician immediately.
- Do not allow children to take their temperatures unattended. Keep the thermometer and all parts out of reach of children under 12 years.
- Do not allow children to run or walk during temperature taking.
- Never immerse the thermometer into water or other liquids.
- Changes or modifications to this unit not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
Your Vicks SmartTemp Digital Thermometer is a 3-in-1 thermometer for oral, rectal or underarm use. Whichever method is used, it is recommended that for 15 minutes prior to use, avoid eating or drinking any liquids, exercising, smoking, or taking showers or baths.
OPERATING YOUR Vicks SmartTemp DIGITAL THERMOMETER
SETTING UP YOUR THERMOMETER AND SMARTPHONE FOR TEMPERATURE TAKING
Note: This setup is only required once per Smartphone device. You do not need to perform this setup every time you take a temperature.
- Download the Vicks SmartTemp App from the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store. The App can also be downloaded by going to www.vicksthermometers.com/smarttemp.
- To pair the thermometer to your Smartphone, enable the Bluetooth® setting on your phone and open the Vicks SmartTemp App.
- Following the prompts on your phone, PRESS AND HOLD the On/Off button on the thermometer until you see the STEADY RED LIGHT (approximately 5 seconds). When the STEADY RED LIGHT appears, press “Confirm” on the App to complete the setup.
Note: If the setup prompt does not automatically appear, go to the “More” (menu in the SmartTemp App and select “Add new device”. Follow the prompts.
SETTING UP A PROFILE (OPTIONAL)
- Open the Vicks SmartTemp App on your mobile device.
- Select “Create Profile” and fill in the patient’s name, birthdate and photo (optional). Select “Save” when complete.
TAKING A TEMPERATURE
- Open the Vicks SmartTemp App on your mobile device and make sure the thermometer is On (Press On/Off button).
- If you have completed the initial setup, and the Bluetooth® setting is enabled on your phone, the Smartphone and thermometer will connect automatically within 5 seconds.
- On the App, select the patient’s profile or select “Take a temperature without profile”.
- Select the location where you intend to take a temperature (oral, rectal, underarm).
- Insert the thermometer. The display on your Smartphone will change to show the temperature rising, indicating that the thermometer is working.
- When the measurement completes, a beep will sound on the thermometer and your mobile device screen will display the temperature value. On this screen, you can click “+” to add details such as symptoms, medications, and notes.
- To retake, press “Retake temp” on your mobile device.
- Probe covers can be purchased and used on this thermometer to prevent the spread of germs.
- Clean the probe tip after each use by washing the tip with soap and warm water or by disinfecting with rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl).
- Wipe dry with a soft cloth.
- Do not submerge the thermometer in water. It is not waterproof. DO NOT BOIL OR CLEAN IN DISHWASHER. This will cause the thermometer to no longer function and will void the warranty. Do not wash the unit with any thinner or chemical solvent.
CHANGING THE BATTERIES
The Vicks SmartTemp thermometer includes a long lasting battery. When the battery needs replacing, a message will appear on your mobile device indicating that the battery needs replacing.
- Using a coin, unlock the battery cover and carefully remove the battery with a non-metallic instrument
- Replace the battery with a CR2032. Insert the new battery with the positive side (+) facing the battery cover. Replace cover and close.
ERRORS AND TROUBLESHOOTING
For errors & troubleshooting, see the MORE menu on the Vicks SmartTemp App.
Battery Life: More than 100 measurements or approximately 2 years if used every week.
Temperature Range: 89.6°F-109.2°F (32.0°C-42.9°C)
Operating Ambient Range: 50-104°F (10-40°C)
Storage Temperature Range: -13°F to 131°F(-25°C to +55°C)
Operating and Storage relative humidity: 15-95% RH±5%
Accuracy for displayed temperature range: ±0.2°F (±0.1°C) within measurement range 95.9-107.6°F (35.5-42°C), and ±0.4°F (±0.2°C) outside of this range
Compatibility: For use with Apple and Andriod devices. See ww.vicksthermometers.com/ smarttemp for the full list of supported devices.
TEST PROTOCOL (Laboratory Use Only
- Once thermometer is paired with Smartphone, launch the Vicks app.
- Go to the “More” tab and tap “Settings.” Then, tap “Measurement Mode” and select “Monitor Mode.”
- Go to the “Take Temp” tab and follow the prompts to check for device accuracy.
This thermometer is specified to operate at 1 atmospheric pressure (700-1060hPA) or at altitudes with an atmospheric pressure up to 1 atmospheric pressure (700-1060hPA). This appliance conforms to ASTM E 1112 (Kaz USA, Inc., Southborough, MA). This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: 1. This device may not cause harmful interference, and 2. This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. For a complete list of standards visit the SmartTemp App or www.vicksthermometers.com. Internally powered ME equipment.
This device is calibrated at the time or manufacturing. No recalibration is required. Contact Customer Service for any accuracy issues.
- ASTM E1112
- EN 12470-3
- ISO 80601-2-56
- SO 14971:2012
- IEC 60601-1:2005
- FCC Part 15 for Intentional Radiators
- Category 1 Radio Equipment RSS-210 Bluetooth SIG Qualification
- IEC 60601-1-2-2007 Electromagnetic compatibility series of standards
- EC 62304:2006
- FDA Guidance document: Radio Frequency Wireless Technology in Medical Devices
- MEDDEV 2.1/6 (2012) – Guidelines for the qualification and classification of standalone SW used within healthcare within the regulatory framework of medical devices
- IEC/TR 80002-1:2009 – Medical device SW – Part 1: Guidance on the application of ISO 14971 to medical device SW
- FDA Mobile Medical Applications
- NB-MED/2.2/Rec4 – SW and Medical Devices (2001)
- FCC part 18
- Category 1 Radio Equipment RSS-210 and Industry CA Requirements for Intentional Radiators
ONE YEAR WARRANTY
Your Vicks SmartTemp Thermometer is durable and manufactured for normal, household use. Following directions carefully will ensure years of dependable operation. If for any reason (other than misuse or normal battery replacement) you are dissatisfied with your Vicks SmartTemp Thermometer, we will repair or replace it, at our option, free during the one year warranty period. Modification to the product by the consumer is not authorized and voids the warranty.
If the thermometer does not function properly, first check the battery. Replace it if necessary. If repair is necessary call our Consumer Relations Department at 1-800-477-0457 or write to Kaz USA, Inc. Consumer Relations Department, 250 Turnpike Road, Southborough, MA 01772 USA, or e-mail email@example.com, explaining just how the thermometer is improperly working. Our consumer service representative will provide further instruction on how to correct the trouble yourself or will ask you to return the thermometer for repair or replacement.
Questions about your Manual ? Post in the comments!