tripp lite N785-CH12 Slot Rack-Mount Media Converter Chassis
- House and power up to 12 media converters from the Tripp Lite N784/N785-Series (select models only, see Compatible Models for details)
- Prevent network downtime and protect media converter installations
- Three cooling fans ensure an optimal operational environment is maintained
- LED panel allows for continuous monitoring of the cooling fans and media converters
- Includes a 75W AC power supply (N785-CH75-AC), but is also capable of being powered by DC power (N785-CH75-DC, sold separately)
- The chassis can operate with two load-sharing power supplies at once, with one being the primary power source and the second providing redundant backup power
- Redundant power supply provides protection from short circuits and features Auto-Recovery protection in the event that the primary power supply fails
- ON/OFF trigger guard prevents accidental power switch activation.
- N785-CH12 12-Port Chassis
- N785-CH75W-AC 75W AC Power Supply Preinstalled (Input: 90-240V, 50/60 Hz, 2A; Output: 12V 6.5A)
- Mounting Bracket (x2)
- Mounting Panel (x24)
- Rack-Mount Kit (x2)
- M3 6 x 5 mm Screw (x48)
- F3 6 x 5 mm Screw (x10)
- M5 16 x 10 mm Screw (x6)
- M4 10 x 8 mm Screw (x4)
- Fuse Glass Tube (x1 installed in the AC power supply and x2 spares)
- 6 ft. Power Cord
- Owner’s Manual
- N785-CH75W-AC 75W AC Power Supply
- 6 ft. Power Cord
- Fuse Glass Tube (1 preinstalled and 2 spares)
- Owner’s Manual
- N785-CH75W-DC 75W DC Power Supply
- Owner’s Manual
- N784-H01-SCMM Hardened 10/100 Copper to Fiber Media Converter, Multimode, RJ45/SC
- N784-H01-STMM Hardened 10/100 Copper to Fiber Media Converter, Multimode, RJ45/ST
- N784-H01-SCSM Hardened 10/100 Copper to Fiber Media Converter, Singlemode, RJ45/SC
- N785-H01-SCMM Hardened Gigabit Copper to Fiber Media Converter, Multimode, RJ45/SC
- N785-H01-SCSM Hardened Gigabit Copper to Fiber Media Converter, Singlemode, RJ45/SC
- N785-H01-SFP Hardened Gigabit Copper to Fiber Media Converter, RJ45/SFP
- N785-CH75W-AC 75W AC Power Supply for N785-CH12
- N785-CH75W-DC 75W DC Power Supply for N785-CH12
N785-CH12 Chassis Installation
N785-CH12 Front Panel
N785-CH12 Rear Panel
The chassis can be mounted on a wall with the use of a shelf. The shelf should be securely mounted to a suitable structure and must be able to hold at least 33 lb. (15 kg). The shelf should also be large enough to accommodate the chassis and also allow space for adequate ventilation.
- The chassis can also be placed flat on any desktop. Allow space for ventilation.
The chassis can be rack-mounted into any standard 19-inch rack and takes up 3 units of space (3U). The unit includes mounting brackets, rack-mounting kit and hardware (see Package Contents for details).
- Mount the two included brackets to either side of the chassis using the M3 black screws (x10).
- Attach the rack-mounting kit handles to the bracket using the included M4 silver screws (x4).
- Mount the chassis to the open slot of the rack using the M5 silver screws (x6).
Media Converter Installation
- The N785-CH12 is compatible with a variety of Tripp Lite N784- and N785-Series media converters. Up to 12 media converters can be installed in the chassis’s input slots. See Compatible Models for details.
- The below image shows a media converter being installed into the chassis using the included mounting brackets and hardware. The media converter can be installed into the chassis without the use of the brackets. However, this is not recommended.
- Using a Phillips screwdriver, remove the screws from the side panels of the media converter.
- Place the media converter and set of brackets on a flat surface and reinsert the screws with the brackets secured on each side.
- After ensuring the rails are flush with the underside of the converter, the converter is ready for loading into the chassis. Repeat steps 1-3 for additional media converters.
- Once the brackets have been attached to all desired media converters, they can be inserted into the chassis.
- Using a Phillips screwdriver, remove the screws from the slot cover panels.
- Gently insert the media converter into the open slot with the front panel of the converter facing outward.
Note: Always ensure the converter’s power socket at the rear of the unit is positioned at the base of the chassis.
- Securely fasten the built-in panel screws into place on the chassis port.
Status Monitoring Panel
The chassis features a Status Monitoring Panel with three red “Fan” LEDs that illuminate to indicate the three rear cooling fans are functioning properly. The 12 green “Slot” LEDs illuminate toindicate a media converter has been correctly installed in the input slots. The LEDs will not illuminate if media converters are not currently installed or if there is a problem with the power supply.
Cooling Fan Maintenance
The N785-CH12 features three cooling fans located at the rear of the unit to draw air into the chassis. Each fan is connected to the Status Monitoring Panel on the front of the unit. The fans may be cleaned periodically by removing the panel assembly.
- Switch both power supplies off (primary and redundant, if applicable) via the ON/OFF switches on each power supply.
- Unscrew the cover screws and remove the covers.
- Disconnect the three power cables supplying power to the fans.
- Remove any dust or debris from the fans with a clean, dry cloth.
- Replace the fan panel by reconnecting the power cables and screwing the panel back into place.
The N785-CH12 chassis is compatible with the following Tripp Lite media converters:
The N785-CH12 chassis is not compatible with the following converters due to the media converters not fitting into the chassis ports (see tripplite.com for details):
Power Supply Specifications
- The N785-CH12 is compatible with both AC and DC power supplies. The chassis includes one preinstalled AC power supply.
- Only one type of power supply should be used. Do not mix AC and DC power supplies.
Input: 90-240V, 50/60 Hz, 2A; Output: 12VDC/6.5A
The N785-CH12 chassis includes one N785-CH75W-AC 75W power supply installed. A second N785-CH75W-AC power supply can be installed in the redundant power supply bay to provide redundant power to the unit (sold separately, see tripplite.com).
Input: Up to 48VDC/3A; Output: 12VDC/6.5A
If DC power is desired, the N785-CH75W-DC 75W DC power supply can be used (sold separately, see tripplite.com). Simply replace the preinstalled AC power supply and replace it with the N785-CH75W-DC. A second DC power supply can be installed to provide redundant power.
- Power off the unit before removing the power supply.
- Exercise caution when handling power supplies, they may hold a residual charge from the unit following removal.
- The N785-CH75W-AC power supply preinstalled with the chassis comes with one fuse glass tube installed and a second spare fuse stored in a slot next to the installed one. A third spare fuse is included in each of the N785-CH12 and N785-CH75W-AC packaging cartons.
- Unscrew the two screws on the top and bottom of the power supply slot and remove the power supply cover.
- Using the handle, gently insert the power supply into the slot.
- Fasten the screws to the chassis.
- Optional: If adding a redundant power supply, unscrew the screws on the second power supply slot and repeat steps 2-3.
Replacing a Fuse
The N785-CH75W-AC power supply requires a fuse glass tube to function. One fuse is preinstalled in the power supply. One spare fuse is included in the slot next to the active fuse, and a third fuse is included in the unit packaging. If the power supply stops functioning due to a blown fuse, the following steps can be taken to replace it:
- Using a flathead screwdriver, open the fuse located in between the power plug and the power switch.
- Remove the fuse and replace with one of the spare fuses.
- Insert the fuse back into the slot.
Warranty & Product Registration
1-Year Limited Warranty
Seller warrants this product, if used in accordance with all applicable instructions, to be free from original defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of initial purchase. If the product should prove defective in material or workmanship within that period, Seller will repair or replace the product, at its sole discretion. Service under this Warranty can only be obtained by your delivering or shipping the product (with all shipping or delivery charges prepaid) to Tripp Lite, 1111 W. 35th Street, Chicago, IL 60609 USA. The seller will pay return shipping charges.
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT APPLY TO NORMAL WEAR OR TO DAMAGE RESULTING FROM ACCIDENT, MISUSE, ABUSE, OR NEGLECT. SELLER MAKES NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES OTHER THAN THE WARRANTY EXPRESSLY SET FORTH HEREIN. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ALL WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS, ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE WARRANTY PERIOD SET FORTH ABOVE; AND THIS WARRANTY EXPRESSLY EXCLUDES ALL INCIDENTAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. (Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, and some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This Warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction).
WARNING: The individual user should determine prior to use whether this device is suitable, adequate, or safe for the use intended. Since individual applications are subject to great variation, the manufacturer makes no representation or warranty as to the suitability or fitness of this device for any specific application.
Visit tripplite.com/warranty today to register your new Tripp Lite product. You’ll be automatically entered into a drawing for a chance to win a FREE Tripp Lite product! No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions apply. See the website for details.
Use of this equipment in life support applications where the failure of this equipment can reasonably be expected to cause the failure of the life support equipment or to significantly affect its safety or effectiveness is not recommended. Tripp Lite has a policy of continuous improvement. Specifications are subject to change without notice. Photos and illustrations may differ slightly from actual products.
Documents / Resources
|tripp lite N785-CH12 Slot Rack-Mount Media Converter Chassis [pdf] Owner's Manual|
N785-CH12 Slot Rack-Mount Media Converter Chassis, Slot Rack-Mount Media Converter Chassis, Media Converter Chassis, Converter Chassis, 75W AC Power Supply, N785-CH75W-AC, 75W DC Power Supply, N785-CH75W-DC
- Help Center | Tripp Lite
- Product Registration | Tripp Lite
- Tripp Lite - Power and Connectivity Solutions