tp-link Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender Installation Guide
Plug the extender into a power outlet next to your router. Wait until its Power LED turns solid on.
Via the Tether App
- Get the up-to-date Tether app from the Apple App Store or Google Play, or simply scan the QR code.
- Launch the Tether app and log in with your TP-Link ID. If you don’t have an account, create one first.
- Tap the + button and select Range Extender. Note: If you cannot find your device, please refer to FAQ > Q1.
- Follow app instructions to complete the setup. The RE LED should turn solid on, indicating successful connection to your router.
Note: If the LED does not turn solid on, please refer to FAQ > Q2.
More Setup Methods
Via a Web Browser:
- Connect your computer or smartphone to the extender’s network TP-Link_Extender.
- Visit http://tplinkrepeater.net or http://192.168.0.254 in a web browser. Create a password to log in.
- Follow web instructions to complete the setup.
Via the WPS Button:
- Press the WPS button on your router.
- Within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on the extender for 1 second. The RE LED should change from blinking to solid on, indicating successful connection.
Extended Network Name:
Router’s network name with _EXT at the end
For more details, please refer to the user guide at: https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/.
- Plug in the extender about halfway between your router and the Wi-Fi dead zone. The location you choose must be within the range of your router.
- Wait for about 2 minutes until 3 or more LEDs light up. If not, relocate the extender closer to the router to achieve better signal quality.
Tip: For more intuitive location assistance, access extender settings via the Tether app and go to Tools > Location Assistant.
Connect your devices to the extender wirelessly or via an Ethernet cable, then enjoy the internet. The password of your extended network is the same as your host router.
Tip: You can also set up the extender in Access Point mode to transform your existing wired network to a wireless one. For details, refer to the user guide at https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/.
Access Extender Settings
After setup, you can access extender settings via any of the methods below. You can reselect host network, change extended network settings and more.
Note: If your extender and router use the same network name, Method 1 is recommended.
Method 1: Via the Tether App
- Connect your smartphone to the extender`s or router’s network.
- Launch the Tether app, select your extender, and log in.
- View or change extender settings as needed.
Method 2: Via a Web Browser
- Connect your computer or smartphone to the extender’s network. If you are using a computer, unplug the Ethernet cable if any.
- Launch a web browser, enter http://tplinkrepeater.net in the address bar, and log in.
- View or change extender settings as needed.
Other top tp-link manual’s:
- tp-link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender User Guide
- tp-link Universal Wifi Range Installation Guide
- tp-link TL-WPA4220 TKIT AV600 Powerline Universal WiFi Range Extender Installation Guide
FAQ (Frequently Asked Question)
Q1. What should I do if the Tether app cannot find my device during setup?
Try another method by following the steps below:
- Connect your smartphone to the extender’s network TP-Link_Extender.
- Launch the Tether app, and select your extender.
Tip: If you have connected to the extender’s Wi-Fi but still cannot find your device, try turning off your cellular data.
- Follow app instructions to complete the setup. If you are still having problems, contact our technical support.
Q2. What should I do if the RE LED doesn’t turn solid on after completing setup via the Tether app or web browser?
- You may have entered incorrect Wi-Fi password for your host router during the configuration. Check the password and try again.
- Make sure the extender is close to your router, preferably within 16 feet, and away from large electrical appliances.
- If you have enabled wireless MAC filtering, wireless access control, or access control list (ACL) on your router, disable them first, then follow any method on the front page to complete the configuration.
- Try setting it up via the WPS button.
- Reset the extender and go through the configuration again.
If you are still having problems, contact our technical support.
Q3. How do I reset the extender?
- With the extender powered on, use a pin to press the RESET button for 1 second. The extender will reboot.
- Keep the device away from water, fire, humidity or hot environments.
- Do not attempt to disassemble, repair, or modify the device.
- Do not use the device where wireless devices are not allowed.
- The socket-outlet shall be installed near the equipment and shall be easily accessible.
Please read and follow the above safety information when operating the device. We cannot guarantee that no accidents or damage will occur due to improper use of the device. Please use this product with care and operate at your own risk.
TP-Link hereby declares that the device is in compliance with the essential requirements and other relevant provisions of directives 2014/53/EU, 2009/125/EC, 2011/65/EU and (EU)2015/863. The original EU declaration of conformity may be found at https://www.tp-link.com/en/ce.
To communicate with TP-Link users or engineers, please join the TP-Link Community at https://community.tp-link.com.
If you have any suggestions or needs for our product guides, you are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For technical support, the user guide and other information, please visit https://www.tp-link.com/support/, or simply scan the QR code.
Documents / Resources
|tp-link Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender [pdf] Installation Guide|
Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, TL-WA850RE
- Trying to Configure the Range Extender? | TP-Link
- TP-Link Community
- Download for TL-WA850RE | TP-Link
- CE Regulatory Compliance | TP-Link
- TP-Link Product Support - Wireless Networking Equipment Support
- Download Center | TP-Link
- User Manual