Ultima 20 Stereo Bookshelf Speakers
and User Manual
Before operating the speakers, please read the safety notes and user manual carefully. Only in this way, you can ensure that all functions are used in a safe and reliable manner. Store the user manual in a safe place and also be sure to pass it on to any subsequent owner.
General Notes and Information
The information in this document may change without prior notice and in no way constitutes any liability on the part of Lautsprecher Teufel GmbH.
No part of this user manual may be reproduced in any form or be broadcasted in any way electronically, mechanically, by photocopy, or recording without the written permission of Lautsprecher Teufel GmbH.
© Lautsprecher Teufel GmbH Version 4.0, March 2022
If you wish to exercise your right of return, we ask that you be absolutely sure to hold on to the packaging.
We can only accept the return of the speakers WITH THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING.
Empty boxes are not available!
In case of a complaint, we will need the following information to process your inquiry:
- Invoice number
Can be found on the sales slip (enclosed with the product) or on the order confirmation received as a PDF document, e.g. 4322543
- Serial number or batch number
Located on the back side of the device, e.g. serial no.: KB20240129A-123.
Thank you for your support!
Please contact our customer service with any questions, suggestions, or criticism:
Lautsprecher Teufel GmbH BIKINI Berlin Budapester Str. 44
10787 Berlin (Germany)
Phone 00800 – 200 300 40 (toll-free)
Fax: +49 (0)30 / 300 930 930
For Your Safety
The speakers are designed for the playback of audio signals that are transmitted by an external amplifier via a speaker cable.
Only use the speakers as described in this user manual. Any other use will be deemed as not in accordance with the instructions and may lead to damage of property or even persons.
The manufacturer accepts no liability for damage caused by improper use.
The speakers are intended for domestic use.
Explanation of terms
You will encounter the following signal terms in this user manual:
This signal term indicates a moderate risk, which, if not avoided, may result in death or severe injury.
This signal term indicates a low risk, which, if not avoided, may result in minor or moderate injury.
This signal term warns you of potential damage.
This chapter contains general safety notes which you should always observe to protect yourself and third parties. Also, observe the warning notes in each chapter of this user manual.
An unsuitable setup location may result in injury and damage.
- If the speakers are not securely mounted, do not use them in vehicles, in unstable locations, on wobbly tripods or furniture, on under-dimensioned brackets, etc.
The speakers may tip or fall over and cause injury to persons or be damage themselves.
- Place the speakers in such a way that they cannot be knocked down inadvertently and make sure that the cables do not pose a tripping hazard.
- Do not place the speakers near heat sources (e.g. heaters, ovens, other heat-generating equipment such as amplifiers, etc.).
Children can become trapped in the plastic wrapping when playing and suffocate.
- Do not allow children to play with the device or the plastic wrapping. There is a danger of suffocation.
- Ensure that children do not remove small parts from the unit or take them off of the unit (e.g. control knobs or plug adapters). They could swallow the parts and choke.
Extended listening at high volumes may lead to hearing loss.
To avoid damage to health, avoid extended listening at high volumes.
- When the volume is set high, always keep a certain distance and never hold your ears directly on the speaker.
- If an amplifier is set to full volume, this may produce very high sound pressure. This may have psychological consequences and also cause physical injury.
Children and pets are particularly at risk. Set the volume control of your amplifier to a low setting before you turn it on.
This product contains magnetic material.
- If necessary, consult your physician and ask for effects on implants such as pacemakers or defibrillators.
If the speakers are subjected to warm temperatures after being cold – (e.g. after transport), condensation may occur inside of them.
- In this case, wait at least 2 hours before you connect and activate the speakers.
Improper handling of the speakers may result in damage or fire.
- Do not place open flames such as burning candles or similar on the speakers.
- Ensure sufficient ventilation.
- Do not expose the speakers to direct sunlight.
- Only use the speakers in indoor areas.
- Do not use the speakers in wet rooms and protect them against dripping or spraying water. Make sure that no vases or other liquid-filled objects are located on or near the speakers in order to prevent liquid from penetrating the housing.
If the amplifier is under-dimensioned, the amplifier may end up in clipping operation at high volumes, which could destroy the tweeters.
- Only connect your speakers to amplifiers, which suit the output of your speakers.
An over-dimensioned amplifier can destroy the bass speakers due to excessive volume.
- If the music playback sounds distorted, reduce the volume.
Unpacking and Setup
- Carefully open the boxes, take out the EPE foam parts and carefully lift the speakers out of the box without touching the diaphragms.
Due to differing customer requirements, the Ultima 20 speakers are shipped without speaker cables. You can find suitable cables in our webshop
( www.teufelaudio.com) in the “Accessories” area.
- Check that all items have been delivered and that nothing is damaged. If you find any damage, do not operate the device; instead, contact our customer service department.
- Select a stable, level base.
- Make sure that the environment is clean and free from dust.
- Select a location away from heat sources and direct sunlight.
- Lay the connector cords so that they do not pose a tripping hazard.
- Do not place any heavy objects on the cables or the speakers.
Positioning the speakers
The following data concern an “ideal listening room”, in which the listener sits in a central position at a sufficient distance in front of the speakers (see the graphic) and no objects (tables or the like) are located in between. Unfortunately, the room, furnishings or other circumstances do not always allow for optimum arrangement.
Modern amplifiers offer a variety of possibilities for electronically compensating losses associated with the arrangement. The following general rule applies: You can always experiment with what works best in your listening room in terms of sound and appearance based on our recommendations. Let your ears (and eyes) decide!
Use as front speakers
The speakers should be situated to the left and right of the listener and if possible, form an equilateral triangle with the listener – the so-called stereo triangle (distance from the listener = distance between the speakers). The speakers should project sound straight into the room or be arranged slightly towards the listener. For example, shelves or sideboards are very well suited as a setup location for the speakers.
Use as rear speakers The rear speakers are set up or hung to the side of or behind the listener at a height of 1.20 m to 2.10 m (see the gray areas in the graphic).
The ideal position is offset by approx.
20 degrees from the parallel position to the listener on the left and right sides. It is generally recommended that the distance of the rear speakers to the hearer’s place exceeds one meter. However, if you (need to) sit closer, please ensure that the front sides of the speakers are not directly facing you. Rather, the speakers must be angled towards the wall.
Alternatively, you can create a greater distance by placing the speakers higher than 1.20 m (e.g. also on the
ceiling) or further away.
Wall mounting is also possible. For this purpose, appropriate holders are available in our webshop (www.teufelaudio.com) in the “Accessories” area. They are mounted using
the M6 threaded hole is located in the speaker base.
It also serves to fix corresponding speaker stands, which you can also purchase in our webshop.
Risk of tripping!
– Lay the cables so that they do not pose a tripping hazard.
- Switch your AV receiver or multichannel active subwoofer off.
- Lay one speaker cable from your AV receiver or multi-channel active subwoofer to each speaker. Use a high-quality double-wire speaker cable with marked strands for this.
The cross-section should amount to at least 1.5 mm².
A connector terminal with two terminals is located on the back of each speaker; the speaker cable must be attached to them.
The terminals are each marked red (+) and black (-).
Make sure the polarity is correct!
– Connect each of the like-colored terminals of your speakers and your amplifier with one another; otherwise the sound quality will suffer.
To facilitate this, the individual single wires of the speaker cables are marked with different colors or shapes.
- Split the single wire down by approx. 30 mm on both ends and remove approx. 10 mm of insulation each.
- Twist the stripped wire ends so that no strands are protruding. The tin coating is not necessary.
- Turn the connector terminal counterclockwise until loose. Run the stripped cable end into the now visible hole. Close the connector terminal by turning them clockwise. The cable has now been clamped in place.
- Connect the speaker cable to your AV receiver or multi-channel active subwoofer. You should be able to find corresponding notes in the user manual of your device.
Removing the protective grids
You can take the protective grids off of the speakers by carefully reaching behind the protective grids and slowly pulling them off to the front.
By removing the protective grid, especially high frequencies will sound clearer.
When putting the protective grids on, please make sure that the installation pins slide directly into the corresponding jacks on the speaker.
Care and Cleaning
The veneered surfaces of our speakers have a protective surface coat so no wood polish is necessary.
External influences may damage or destroy the device.
– If possible, only use plain water without any additives.
In case of stubborn marks, a mild soap solution may be used.
– Do not use caustic cleaning products, white spirit, thinners, petrol, or similar under any circumstances. Such cleaning agents may damage the delicate surface of the housing.
- Ideally, you should remove dust or small amounts of dirt with a dry, smooth leather cloth.
- Rub off stubborn dirt with a damp cloth. Make sure that no liquid penetrates the speakers.
- Then immediately wipe the surfaces dry with a soft cloth without applying pressure.
|Sinus power:||40 Watt (longterm), 80 Watt (shortterm)|
|Recommended cross-over frequency
when using a subwoofer:
|X-over frequencies:||2800 Hz|
|Low-range speaker:||165 mm|
|High-range speaker:||25,4 mm|
|Dimensions (W × D × H):||215 MM × 251 MM × 335 MM|
|Net weight:||6,2 kg|
You can find further technical data on our website.
Technical changes reserved!
Declaration of Conformity
Lautsprecher Teufel GmbH declares that this product complies with the relevant European and national directives. The full text of the CE Declaration of Conformity can be found at this web address:
Important information in accordance with the Electrical and Electronic Equipment Act (Germany: ElektroG)
We advise owners of electrical and electronic appliances that old electrical and electronic devices must be handed in separately from municipal waste, in accordance with the applicable regulations. Batteries and rechargeable batteries that are not firmly enclosed in old electrical devices and lamps and that can be removed from the old device without destroying them must be separated from them in a non-destructive manner before they are handed to the collection point for their intended disposal. Please take note of our
information on the Batteries Act [Germany: BattG] below for disposing of batteries.
You make an important contribution to returning, recycling, and further processing old devices if you separate your old devices into the correct collection groups for recycling.
The symbol below of a crossed-out dustbin, applied to electrical and electronic appliances, also advises of the duty to separate collections:
Consumer electronics stores and supermarkets are obliged, under certain conditions, to take back old electrical and electronic devices, in accordance with section 17 of the Electrical and Electronic Equipment Act. Stationary retailers must take back an old electrical device of the same type when a new electrical device is bought (1:1 return). This also applies to home deliveries. These retailers must also take back up to three small old electrical devices (≤ 25cm) without this being linked to a new purchase (0:1 return). In accordance with the Electrical and Electronic Equipment Act, as online retailers of electrical devices and due to our product range, our obligation is limited to 1:1 return of large devices of > 50 cm when selling a new electrical or electronic device of the same type. We comply with the obligation to return of devices other than large devices through our service provider. You can find the exact contact data and collection points on our website www.Teufel.de/entsorgung. It is also possible to return old electrical and electronic appliances free of charge at an official delivery point run by the public waste disposal authorities.
Important: For safety reasons we ask that you refrain from sending lighting fixtures (some lamps). For the return of lighting fixtures please use the public waste disposal collection points or contact us directly at www.Teufel.de/entsorgung. As an end-user, you are responsible for deleting any personal data on old electrical appliances before handing it in.
Important: Our appliances can contain batteries/rechargeable batteries. If this is the case, please refer to its attached product documentation for additional information on the type and chemical makeup of the battery. For products with battery compartments, you can directly remove the batteries or rechargeable batteries and dispose of them properly. If the batteries are built into the product, do not in any case attempt to remove the batteries yourself, instead, contact one of our employees or appropriate specialist staff.
Please contact our customer service department
with any questions, suggestions, or complaints:
Lautsprecher Teufel GmbH
BIKINI Berlin, Budapester Straße 44
10787 Berlin (Germany)
Phone: 00800 200 300 40 (toll-free)
Fax: +49 (0)30 – 300 930 930
No responsibility is assumed for the correctness of this information.
Technical changes, typographical errors, and other errors are reserved.
Manual No. 91548_EN_20220302_V4.0
Documents / Resources
|Teufel Ultima 20 Stereo Bookshelf Speakers [pdf] User Manual|
Ultima 20, Stereo Bookshelf Speakers, Ultima 20 Stereo Bookshelf Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Speakers