Wireless Noise Canceling Stereo Headset
Wireless Noise Canceling Stereo Headset
Do not install the appliance in a confined space, such as a bookcase or built-in cabinet.
Do not expose the batteries (battery pack or batteries installed) to excessive heat such as sunshine, fire or the like for a long time. Do not dismantle, open or shred secondary cells or batteries. Do not expose cells or batteries to heat or fire. Avoid storage in direct sunlight. In the event of a cell leaking, do not allow the liquid to come in contact with the skin or eyes. If contact has been made, wash the affected area with copious amounts of water and seek medical
Secondary cells and batteries need to be charged before use. Always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions or equipment manual for proper charging instructions. After extended periods of storage, it may be necessary to charge and discharge the cells or batteries several times to obtain
maximum performance. Dispose of properly.
RECYCLING RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES
Rechargeable batteries are recyclable. You can help preserve our environment by returning your used rechargeable batteries to the collection and recycling location nearest you. For more information regarding recycling of rechargeable batteries, visit http://www.sony.com/electronics/eco/environmental-management Caution: Do not handle damaged or leaking rechargeable
batteries. This equipment complies with FCC/IC radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled environment and meets the FCC radio frequency (RF) Exposure Guidelines and RSS-102 of the IC radio frequency (RF) Exposure rules. This equipment has very low levels
of RF energy that is deemed to comply without testing of specific absorption rate (SAR).
FOR UNITED STATES CUSTOMERS. NOT APPLICABLE IN CANADA, INCLUDING IN THE PROVINCE OF QUEBEC. POUR LES CONSOMMATEURS AUX ÉTATS-UNIS. NON
APPLICABLE AU CANADA, Y COMPRIS LA PROVINCE DE QUÉBEC.
You are cautioned that any changes or modifications not expressly approved in this manual could void your authority to operate this equipment. This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
(1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and
(2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful
interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
– Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
– Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
– Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
– Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
This equipment must not be co-located or operated in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter. For the customer in Canada This device complies with Industry Canada’s licence-exempt RSSs. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
(1) This device may not cause interference; and
(2) This device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
High volume may affect your hearing.
Do not use the unit while walking, driving or cycling. Doing so may cause traffic accidents.
Do not use at a dangerous place unless the surrounding sound can be heard.
The unit is not waterproof. If water or foreign objects enter the unit, it may result in fire or electric shock. If water or a foreign object enters the unit, stop use immediately and consult your nearest
Sony dealer. In particular, remember to follow the precautions below.
– Use around a sink, etc. Be careful that the unit does not fall into a sink or container filled with water.
– Use in the rain or snow, or in humid locations
– Use while you are sweaty
If you touch the unit with wet hands, or put the unit in the pocket of a damp article of clothing, the unit may get wet. For details on the effect of contact to the human body from the mobile phone or other wireless devices connected to the unit, refer to the instruction manual of the wireless device.
This product has magnets which may interfere with pacemakers, defibrillators and programmable shunt valves or other medical devices. Do not put this product close to these medical devices and
the person who use any of these medical devices. Consult your doctor before using this product, if you have any concerns. This product has magnets. Placing cards with magnets in the vicinity of the product may affect the magnetism of the card and render it unusable.
Note on static electricity Static electricity accumulated in the body may cause mild tingling in your ears. To reduce the effect, wear clothes made from natural materials, which suppress the generation of static electricity.
IMPORTANT: THE VOICE GUIDANCE FOR THIS UNIT IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH.
The voice guidance can be heard from the unit when:
• When powering on: “Power on”
• When powering off: “Power off”
• When the remaining battery level is low and recharge is recommended: “Low battery, please recharge headset”
• When automatically turning off due to low battery: “Please recharge headset. Power off”
• When checking the remaining battery level by pressing the POWER button while the unit turns on: “Battery fully charged” / “Battery about 90%” / “Battery about 80%” / “Battery about 70%” / “Battery about 60%” / “Battery about 50%” / “Battery about 40%” / “Battery about 30%” / “Battery about 20%” / “Battery about 10%”
• When entering pairing mode: “Bluetooth pairing”
• When establishing a Bluetooth connection: “Bluetooth connected”
• When disconnecting a Bluetooth connection: “Bluetooth disconnected”
• When turning on the noise canceling function: “Noise canceling”
• When turning on the Ambient Sound Mode: “Ambient sound”
• When turning off the noise canceling function and the Ambient Sound Mode : “Ambient sound control off”
• When starting the NC Optimizer: “Optimizer start”
• When the NC Optimizer is finished: “Optimizer finished”
• When the automatic switching setting of Speak-to-chat is on: “Speak-to-chat activated”
• When the automatic switching setting of Speak-to-chat is off: “Speak-to-chat deactivated”
On BLUETOOTH® communications
• Bluetooth wireless technology operates within a range of about 10 m (30 feet). The maximum communication distance may vary depending on the presence of obstacles (people, metal objects,
walls, etc.) or the electromagnetic environment.
• Bluetooth communications may not be possible, or noise or audio dropout may occur under the following conditions:
– When there is a person between the unit and the Bluetooth device. This situation may be improved by positioning the Bluetooth device so that it faces the antenna of the unit.
– When there is an obstacle, such as a metal object or a wall, between the unit and the Bluetooth device.
– When a Wi-Fi device or microwave oven is in use, or microwaves are emitted near the unit.
– Compared to use indoors, use outdoors is subjected little to signal reflection from walls, floors, and ceilings, which results in audio dropout occurring more frequently than use indoors.
– The antenna is built into the unit as indicated by the dotted line in the illustration below. The sensitivity of the Bluetooth communications can be improved by removing any obstacles between the connected Bluetooth device and the antenna of this unit.
• Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (IEEE802.11b/g/n) devices use the same frequency (2.4 GHz). When using the unit near a Wi-Fi device,electromagnetic interference may occur, resulting in noise, audio dropout, or the inability to connect. If this happens, try performing the following remedies:
– Establish a connection between the unit and the Bluetooth device when they are at least 10 m (30 feet) away from he Wi-Fi device.
– Turn off the Wi-Fi device when using the unit within 10 m (30 feet) of the Wi-Fi device.
– Position the unit and the Bluetooth device as near as possible to each other.
• Microwaves emitting from a Bluetooth device may affect the operation of electronic medical devices. Turn off this unit and other Bluetooth devices in the following locations, as it may cause an accident:
– in hospitals, near priority seating in trains, locations where inflammable gas is present, near automatic doors, or near fire alarms.
• The audio playback on this unit may be delayed from that on the transmitting device, due to the characteristics of Bluetooth wireless technology. As a result, the sound may not be in sync with the image when viewing movies or Playing games.
• This product emits radio waves when used in wireless mode.When used in wireless mode on an airplane, follow flight crew directions regarding permissible use of products in wireless mode.
• The unit supports security functions that comply with the Bluetooth standard as a means of ensuring security during
communication using Bluetooth wireless technology. However, depending on the configured settings and other factors, this security may not be sufficient. Be careful when communicating using Bluetooth wireless technology.
• Sony shall assume no responsibility for any damages or loss resulting from information leaks that occur when using Bluetooth communications.
• Connection with all Bluetooth devices cannot be guaranteed.
– Bluetooth devices connected with the unit must comply with the Bluetooth standard prescribed by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and must be certified as compliant.
– Even when a connected device complies with the Bluetooth standard, there may be cases where the characteristics or
specifications of the Bluetooth device make it unable to connect, or result in different control methods, display, or
– When using the unit to perform hands-free talking on the phone, noise may occur depending on the connected device or the communication environment.
• Depending on the device to be connected, it may require some time to start communications. If sound skips frequently during playback
• The situation may be improved by setting the sound quality mode to “priority on stable connection.” For details, refer to the Help Guide.
• The situation may be improved by changing the wireless playback quality settings or fixing the wireless playback mode to SBC on the transmitting device. For details, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the transmitting device.
• When listening to music from a smartphone, the situation may be improved by closing unnecessary apps or restarting the smartphone. On the use of calling apps for smartphones and computers
• This unit supports normal incoming calls only. Calling apps for smartphones and computers are not supported.
On charging the unit
• This unit can be charged using USB only. A computer with a USB port or a USB AC adaptor is required for charging.
• Be sure to use the supplied USB Type-C cable.
• When charging, the unit cannot be turned on and the Bluetooth and noise canceling functions cannot be used.
• If the unit is not used for a long time, the rechargeable battery may become depleted quickly. The battery will be able to hold a proper charge after it is discharged and recharged several times. When storing the unit for a long time, charge the battery once every six months to prevent over-discharge.
• If the rechargeable battery becomes depleted extremely quickly,it should be replaced with a new one. Please contact your nearest Sony dealer for a battery replacement. If the unit does not operate properly
• Follow the procedure below to reset the unit. Press the and NC/AMBIENT buttons simultaneously while the unit is charging. The unit is reset. When the unit is reset, the pairing information in the unit is not deleted.
• If the problem persists even after the unit is reset, perform the procedure below to initialize the unit.
Disconnect the USB Type-C cable and turn off the unit. Press and hold the and NC/AMBIENT buttons simultaneously for at least 7 seconds. The indicator (blue) flashes 4 times, the unit is initialized, and the unit is reset to the factory settings. When the unit is initialized, all pairing information is deleted.
• After the unit is initialized, it may not connect to your iPhone or computer. If this happens, delete the pairing information of the unit from the iPhone or computer, and then pair them again. On the noise canceling function
• The noise canceling function senses external ambient noise (such as the noise inside a vehicle or the sound of air conditioning inside a room) with built-in microphones, and produces an equal-but-opposite sound that cancels out the ambient noise.
– The noise canceling effect may not be pronounced in a very quiet environment, or some noise may be heard.
– The noise canceling function works for noise in the low frequency band primarily. Although noise is reduced, it is not canceled completely.
– When you use the unit in a train or a car, noise may occur depending on street conditions.
– Mobile phones may cause interference and noise. Should this occur, locate the unit further away from the mobile phone.
– Depending on how you wear the unit, the noise canceling effect may vary or a beeping sound (howling) may occur. If this happens, take off the unit and put it back on again.
Do not cover the microphones of the unit with your hands or other objects. Doing so may prevent the noise canceling
function or the Ambient Sound Mode from working properly, or may cause a beeping sound (howling) to occur. If this happens, take your hands or other object off of the microphones of the unit.
Notes on wearing the unit
• Because the headphones achieve a tight seal over the ears, forcibly pressing them against your ears or quickly pulling them off can result in eardrum damage. Pressing the headphones against your ears may cause the speaker diaphragm to produce a click sound. This is not a malfunction. Other notes
• Do not subject the unit to excessive shock.
• The touch sensor may not operate properly if you apply stickers or other adhesive items to the touch sensor control panel.
• Be careful not to catch your finger in the unit when folding.
• When you use the unit as wired headphones, use the supplied headphone cable only. Make sure that the headphone cable is firmly inserted.
• The Bluetooth function may not work with a mobile phone, depending on the signal conditions and the surrounding
• Do not apply weight or pressure to the unit for long periods, including when it is stored, as it may cause deformation.
• If you experience discomfort while using the unit, stop using it immediately.
• The earpads may be damaged or deteriorate with long-term use and storage. Cleaning the unit
• When the outside of the unit is dirty, clean it by wiping with a soft dry cloth. If the unit is particularly dirty, soak a cloth in a dilute solution of neutral detergent, and wring it well before wiping. Do not use solvents such as thinner, benzene, or alcohol, as they may damage the surface.
• If you have any questions or problems concerning this unit that are not covered in this manual, please consult your nearest Sony dealer. Replacement parts: earpads Please consult your nearest authorized Sony retailer or www.sony.com for information about replacement parts.
Wireless Noise Canceling Stereo Headset
DC 3.7 V: Built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery
DC 5 V: When charged using USB
0 °C to 40 °C (32 °F to 104 °F)
Rated power consumption:
When connecting via the Bluetooth device Music playback time: Max. 30 hours (NC ON), Max. 22 hours
(Ambient Sound Mode), Max. 38 hours (NC OFF) Communication time: Max. 24 hours (NC ON), Max. 18 hours (Ambient Sound Mode), Max. 30 hours (NC OFF) Standby time: Max. 30 hours (NC ON), Max. 22 hours (Ambient Sound Mode), Max. 200 hours (NC OFF) When connecting via the headphone cable with NC ON: Max. 36 hours
Note: Usage hours may be shorter depending on the Codec Charging time: Approx. 3 hours (About 5 hours of music playback is possible after 10 minutes charging.)
Note: Charging and usage hours may be different depending on the conditions of use. Charging temperature: 5 °C to 35 °C (41 °F ~ 95 °F) Mass: Approx. 255 g (8.99 oz) Receiver Type: Closed, dynamic Driver unit:
40 mm (1 5/8 in.) Impedance: 47 Ω (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on)
16 Ω (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off) Sensitivity: 104 dB/mW (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on) 101 dB/mW (when connecting via the headphone cable with
the unit turned off) Frequency response: 4 Hz – 40 Hz (JEITA) Microphone Type: MEMS Directivity: Omni directional
Effective frequency range:
50 Hz – 8,000 Hz
Wireless Noise Canceling Stereo Headset (1)
USB Type-C™ cable (USB-A to USB-C™) (approx. 20 cm
(7 7/8 in.)) (1)
Headphone cable (approx. 1.2 m (47 1/4 in.)) (1)
Carrying case (1)
Plug adaptor for airplane (1)1)
1) Depending on the in-flight entertainment services, it may not be
Bluetooth Specification version 4.2
Bluetooth Specification Power Class 2
Maximum communication range:
Line of sight approx. 10 m (30 ft)1)
2.4 GHz band (2.4000 GHz – 2.4835 GHz)
Compatible Bluetooth profiles2):
A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)
AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile)
HFP (Hands-free Profile)
HSP (Headset Profile)
Qualcomm® aptX™ audio
Supported content protection method:
Transmission range (A2DP):
20 Hz – 40,000 Hz (Sampling frequency LDAC 96 kHz, 990
1) The actual range will vary depending on factors such as
obstacles between devices, magnetic fields around a microwave
oven, static electricity, reception sensitivity, antenna’s
performance, operating system, software application, etc.
2) Bluetooth standard profiles indicate the purpose of Bluetooth
communications between devices.
3) Codec: Audio signal compression and conversion format
4) Subband Codec
5) Advanced Audio Coding
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
System requirements for battery
charge using USB
USB AC adaptor
A commercially available USB AC adaptor capable of supplying an
output current of 1.5 A or more
(As of August 2018)
Personal computer with pre-installed with any of the following
operating systems and USB port:
When using Windows
Windows® 10 Home / Windows® 10 Pro
Windows® 8.1 / Windows® 8.1 Pro
Windows® 8 / Windows® 8 Pro
Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Ultimate
When using Mac
macOS (version 10.10 or later)
Compatible iPhone/iPod models
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6 Plus
iPod touch (6th generation)
(As of August 2018)
• Windows is a registered trademark or trademark of Microsoft
Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
• Apple, iPhone, iPod, iPod touch, macOS and Mac are trademarks
of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
• Use of the Made for Apple badge means that an accessory has
been designed to connect specifically to the Apple product(s)
identified in the badge, and has been certified by the developer
to meet Apple performance standards. Apple is not responsible
for the operation of this device or its compliance with safety and
• Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
• The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks
owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by
Sony Corporation is under license.
• The N-Mark is a trademark or registered trademark of NFC Forum,
Inc. in the United States and in other countries.
• Qualcomm aptX is a product of Qualcomm Technologies
Qualcomm is a trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated, registered
in the United States and other countries, used with permission.
aptX is a trademark of Qualcomm Technologies International,
Ltd., registered in the United States and other countries, used
• The LDAC name and logo are trademarks of Sony Corporation.
• USB Type-C™ and USB-C™ are trademarks of USB Implementers
• Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective
Questions about your Sony WH1000XM3 Noise Cancelling Headphones? Post in the comments!
Download Sony WH1000XM3 Noise Cancelling Headphones Manual [PDF]