Thank you for purchasing the Sharper Image Universal Battery Charger. This eco-friendly device is designed to save you time and money by recharging virtually all disposable and rechargeable batteries. But frst, please take a moment to read these instructions and keep them for future reference.
- Easy to use
- Intelligent microprocessor controlled
- “Negative Delta V” deletion
- Recharges all battery sizes: AA, AAA, C, D and 9V
- Recharges 1-4 batteries at a time
- Microprocessor monitors each charging bay
- Short-circuit protection
- LED and LCD display shows the status of each battery while it is charging
- Individual maximum timer control for overcharge protection
- Plugs into an AC outlet
- Charges these types of batteries:
Ni-Cd (Nickel Cadmium)
Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride)
Alkaline* and RAM (Rechargeable Alkaline Manganese)
Because of the chemistry of standard alkaline batteries, they cannot be recharged nearly as many times as standard rechargeable type batteries like Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries. However, the Universal Battery Charger uses a recharge current of 130 mAh and the entire charging process is controlled intelligently by microprocessors, which can recharge most standard alkaline batteries to 75%-90% of their original capacity upwards of 30+ times depending on the quality of the battery.
PLEASE NOTE: Standard alkaline batteries should be completely drained before recharging with your Universal Battery Charger.
IDENTIFICATION OF PARTS
- DC power socket
- LED light (9V battery)
- Charging bay (for 9V battery)
- Positive “+” pole
- Battery selection switch
- Negative “-” pole
- Charging bay
- Power light
- LED indicators
- LCD display
Not shown: AC adapter
LED + LCD DISPLAY
- The Universal Battery Charger can charge 4 kinds of batteries: Ni-Cd (Nickel
Cadmium), Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride), Alkaline and RAM (Rechargeable
- The four separate battery charging bays function independently — this enables
charging of up to 4 batteries simultaneously.
- You must select the battery type before you begin charging. (For RAM batteries, use the Alkaline setting.) PLEASE NOTE: Batteries charging together must be the same type (i.e., Ni-Cd, Ni-MH or Alkaline). Do not mix battery types in the same charging session.
- Charger accommodates AA, AAA, C, D and 9V batteries.
- This device uses the latest battery charging technology, including “Negative Delta V” deletion when charging Ni-Cd batteries. (In this process, the charge is drained first, then quickly recharged. Once the battery is fully charged, a constant current trickle charge will keep the battery at optimum capacity.)
DISCHARGING THE BATTERY (NI-CD ONLY)
Discharge times depend on capacity and charge state. Typically, the discharge process could take up to one hour, before the charge cycle commences. During the discharge process, the indicator LED will glow YELLOW.
OPERATING THE UNIVERSAL BATTERY CHARGER
- Attach the power cord to the DC power socket back of the device. Plug the other end of the cord into an AC outlet. This will cause the red LED power indicator light to turn ON.
- Select the required battery type by moving the battery selector switch to Ni-Cd, Ni-MH or ALK.
- Insert 1 to 4 batteries into the charging bays, observing the correct polarity as
diagrammed inside the charging device. NOTE: The switch must not be moved after the batteries are loaded.
- After approximately 2 seconds, the Universal Battery Charger will automatically detect the status of the battery. Once battery detection is complete, one of the following charging programs will commence.
Ni-Cd batteries: A characteristic of a Ni-Cd battery is that it suffers from a memory
condition, which means after repeatedly topping off the battery, its capacity is significantly reduced. To counteract this effect, the Universal Battery Charger
discharges (drains) the battery first. The LCD will display “DIS” while the LCD capacity indicator flashes downward and the LED lights up YELLOW. Once the discharge cycle is completed, the Universal Battery Charger will begin the quick charge program. The LCD will blink “CHA” and the energy level indicator will be flashing upward while the LED lights up RED. When the battery is fully charged, the LCD will show “OK” and the LED lights up GREEN.
Ni-MH and Alkaline batteries: Since neither Ni-MH nor Alkaline batteries have memory characteristics, the Universal Battery Charger will automatically start the quick charge process immediately. The LCD will blink “CHA” and the energy level indicator will be flashing upward while the LED lights up RED. When the battery is fully charged, the LCD will show “OK” and the LED lights up GREEN. The Universal Battery Charger will automatically “trickle charge” the battery, keeping it at its optimum capacity.
9V batteries: When the item is charging the back light will illuminate red. When
charging has completed the red back light will turn off.
Note: The charging status for the 9V battery will not show on the screen like it does for AA, AAA, C & D batteries.
- Always observe the safety instructions.
- Do not open or modify the device.
- Do not short-circuit the charging contacts or batteries.
- It is normal for batteries to get warm during the charging process. Please handle recharged batteries with care.
- The Universal Battery Charger must not come into contact with moisture or wetness.
- The Universal Battery Charger is not a toy. Keep out of reach of children.
- For indoor use only.
- Designed for use with Ni-CD, Ni-MH or Alkaline batteries only.
- Do not use an extension cord to connect this device to an AC outlet.
- Place batteries in the charging bay according to the correct polarity (“+” and “-”).
- Use only at temperatures of 0°C-40° C.
- Unplug the device after every use.
- Do not use the device if the cord appears damaged or frayed. Contact Sharper Image Customer Service for a replacement.
- AAA accumulators (rechargeable batteries) with a capacity of 300 mAh can never be charged for more than 0.5 hours.
- In the case of damages caused by failure to observe these operating instructions, improper use or the failure to observe the safety instructions, the warranty will be voided. We assume no liability for consequential damages, property damages or personal injury arising from improper use of this device.
WARRANTY / CUSTOMER SERVICE
Sharper Image branded items purchased from SharperImage.com include a 1-year
limited replacement warranty. If you have any questions not covered in this guide, please call our Customer Service department at 1 (877) 210-3449. Customer Service agents are available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.
Read More About This User Manuals…