R1016 IP-STB User Manual 4100000408-MP2_Bryan-QSG_US_FOR-PRINT.indd Roku, Inc.
ROKU Ultra User Manual
Quick Start Guide
© 2017 Roku, Inc. All rights reserved. ROKU and the ROKU logo are the registered trademarks of Roku, Inc.
Why do I need to create a Roku account?
Before you can start streaming, channels must be downloaded and installed on your streaming player. To accomplish this, your streaming player must be linked to a Roku account. With a Roku account, not only can you add channels from the Roku Channel Store, but you can also manage your subscriptions, view your purchase history, and update payment method. For more information, visit go.roku.com/whyaccount
Why do I need to enter a credit card?
Saving a payment method makes it easy to rent or buy movies on demand, subscribe to popular services, and enroll in free trials. Charges will not be made without your authorization. For more information, visit go.roku.com/paymenthelp
What should I do if my streaming player is not connecting to my wireless network?
Your streaming player connects to your wireless network the same as your laptop or smartphone. If these other devices can access the internet, then your streaming player should be able to do the same. Make sure to select the same network name, and enter the same password you use with the other devices. Remember that passwords are case-sensitive and easy to enter incorrectly. For more help, visit go.roku.com/wireless
Can I take my Roku streaming player with me when I travel?
Yes. You can bring your streaming player and watch your favorite entertainment when you travel. Remember to also bring the power adapter, remote and any cables you use to connect your streaming player at home, and make sure your destination has a good internet connection. You will also need a computer or smartphone with wireless capabilities and a web browser to help get your streaming player connected to the network. For more details, visit go.roku.com/travelwithroku
STEP 5: On-screen setup and activation Follow the instructions on your TV screen.
Activate your streaming player by using your computer or smartphone to link to a Roku account.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you type roku.com/link into the browser being careful not to misspell or add extra characters. Typing this incorrectly may take you to fraudulent websites.
NOTE: You will need a High Speed HDMI® Cable for HD TVs or a Premium High Speed HDMI® Cable for 4K and HDR TVs.
STEP 1: Connect to TV Connect your streaming player to an HDMI port on the back of your TV using a High Speed HDMI® Cable (not included).
To stream 4K or HDR choose an HDMI port that supports HDCP 2.2. Use a Premium High Speed HDMI® Cable (not included). For help determining which port supports HDCP 2.2, visit go.roku.com/hdcp
STEP 2: Connect to power Use the included power adapter to connect your streaming player to a wall outlet.
STEP 3:Power on TV and select input Use your TV remote to power on your TV and select the input you used to connect your streaming player. For help on how to select the correct input, visit go.roku.com/selectinput
STEP 4: Insert batteries On the back side of the remote, slide open the battery cover. Insert included batteries placing the negative (-) ends in fi rst. Your remote should pair with your streaming player automatically. For help pairing your remote, visit go.roku.com/remotehelp
NOTE: To enable the private listening feature of your streaming player, plug the headphones into your Roku remote. Your TV will be muted when headphones are plugged in.
SETS FORTH ROKU’S SOLE OBLIGATION AND YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IN THE EVENT OF ANY BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY; REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF YOUR PLAYER SHALL NOT RESET OR EXTEND THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PERIOD; AND UPON REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF YOUR PLAYER, ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY WHICH YOU HAVE AGREED TO DISCLAIM FOR THE ORIGINAL PLAYER SHALL ALSO BE DISCLAIMED WITH RESPECT TO THE REPAIRED OR REPLACED PLAYER. THE LIMITATIONS ABOVE ARE SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LOCAL LAWS AND YOU MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
Automatic Software Updates
Roku reserves the right to automatically update the software on the Player from time to time in its sole discretion, including adding, changing or removing channels, functionalities and features (including but not limited to, changing the user interface or the manner in which you are able to access content via the Player). For further information please see www.roku.com/ support.
Additional Legal Notices
Federal Communication Commission Interference Statement This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one of the following measures:
• Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
• Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
• Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
• Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help. This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
Roku® Streaming Player
Important Product Information
The Roku streaming player which accompanies this Important Product
Information (“Player”) allows you to stream online entertainment to your
TV. A Roku account is required to activate your Player. When you sign up
for a Roku account, you will be asked to provide your contact information
and a payment method so that you can easily rent movies or sign-up for
additional services. Your authorization is required for any such charges.
There are no equipment rental fees for owning a Player. However, a paid
subscription or other form of payment may be required to access some
channels or content. Channel availability is subject to change and varies
by country. Check with each channel provider for specific bandwidth
requirements to stream 720p, 1080p HD, 4K and HDR (if your player
supports 4K and/or HDR) content.
The Player has been designed with the highest concern for safety. However,
any electrical device, if used improperly, has the potential for causing
fire, electrical shock, property damage or personal injury. To help ensure
accident-free operation, follow these guidelines:
• Observe all warnings, precautions and instructions.
• Regularly inspect the AC power adapter for damage.
• Stop use, unplug the AC power adapter from the electrical outlet and disconnect any other cables immediately, if the Player has been damaged, cracked or punctured, or if the Player functions in an abnormal manner, produces unusual sounds or smells or becomes too hot to touch.
• For more information on product safety and troubleshooting, please go to www.roku.com/support.
Use and Handling
• Do not operate the remote using any vigorous or forceful motions or gestures.
• The remote control and the headphones are not toys. If your Player comes with a remote control and/or headphones, keep them both out of reach of children under the age of six.
• The product packaging may include plastic bags, cable ties and fasteners. Dispose of these properly and keep them out of reach of children, as they could present a choking hazard.
• Do not touch the Player or connected cables during an electrical storm.
• Do not allow liquid, small particles or other foreign objects to get into the Player or accessories.
• Do not expose the Player or accessories to liquid, smoke or steam.
• Do not expose the Player or accessories to high temperatures, high humidity or direct sunlight.
• Do not place the Player or the remote on the floor or in a place where they may cause someone to trip or stumble.
• Permanent hearing loss may occur if the Player or earpieces are used at high volume. To prevent possible hearing loss, limit the amount of time you use the Player or any earpieces at high volume.
• Do place your Player within range of your wireless network.
• Do not place your Player in an enclosed cabinet; it may interfere with the wireless signal.
• Do not place anything on top of your Player; it may cause the Player to overheat.
• Do not drop, crush or disassemble the Player.
• Do not attempt to repair your Player yourself. Disassembling the Player may cause damage not covered by the warranty.
Important Tips About Battery Handling
Inserting batteries: Be sure to insert each battery negative (-) side first, pushing it into the coil and then into the compartment. Never insert batteries positive (+) side first.
Replacing batteries: Always replace dead batteries with two brand-new batteries from the same manufacturer. Never use damaged batteries. Disposal of batteries: Always dispose of batteries following federal guidelines or local ordinances. Do not dispose of used batteries in an open fire.
Warning Signs: If your remote gets warm/hot during use, discontinue use and contact Roku Customer Support immediately at www.roku.com/ support. There is a risk of explosion if a battery is replaced by an incorrect type.
The License Agreement
The applicable software license terms for the Player is at www.roku.com/ legal. Use of the Player constitutes your agreement to those license terms and the limited warranty set forth below for your country. If you disagree and you are within the allowable time period for returns under Roku’s return policy (if purchased from Roku) or the applicable return policy of the authorized distributor (if purchased from such distributor), you may return the Player to the place where you obtained it for a refund, subject to the terms of the applicable return policy.
Questions about your R1016 IP-STB User Manual? Post in the comments!
R1016 IP-STB User Manual [PDF]