Please read all of the installation instructions carefully before installing the product. Improper installation will void the manufacturer’s warranty. The installation instructions do not apply to all types of vehicles and are written as guidelines to assist in installing the system. Please consult an experienced technician if you are not comfortable installing the product. Prior to using and installing the Backup Camera System, please read the safety information provided in this user manual. Be sure to use the product as outlined in this user manual. Alteration or modifications carried out without appropriate authorization may invalidate the user’s right to operate the equipment.
WARNING: Failure to read and follow these warnings and instructions may result in serious injury, including damaged property, so please pay close attention and exhibit the utmost care.
- The Digital Backup Camera is designed as an aid to the driver in detecting potentially hazardous driving conditions, obstructions, and large stationary objects. You, the driver, must also remember to drive safely and properly. Use of the Digital Backup Camera is not a substitute for safe, proper and legal driving practices.
- Never back up while looking only at your connected monitor display screen. You should always check behind and around the vehicle when backing up just as you would if the vehicle did not have the Digital Backup Camera. Always make sure your driving area is clear. Always back up slowly and with caution.
- Never depend on the Backup Camera entirely when backing up. The image on the monitor display screen may be slightly different from actual and real-time conditions. Objects viewed in the rear view monitor differ from actual distances because a wide-angle lens is used. So use the camera as an aid and always follow intended driving practices to properly judge distances from objects.
- The Backup Camera’s assisted low lux lighting performance feature is also an aid to a driver. Always use your own eyes to confirm the vehicle’s surroundings, as the displayed image may be not well lit or not entirely visible. Always proceed with caution and perform double-checks before proceeding.
- The area displayed by the Backup Camera is limited. It does not display objects that are close to or just below the bumper, underneath the vehicle, or objects out of the camera’s view. The camera’s view can change according to your vehicle’s orientation on the road or changing road conditions.
- Be sure to check the camera is properly functioning, is properly positioned and securely mounted, every time you operate your vehicle.
- Make sure your trunk or hatch operates correctly, as intended, before and after installation.
- Proceed with caution when cleaning your vehicle around the camera. Avoid excess water exposure around the camera especially with spraying or a power washer.
- Please make sure to keep the camera clean and unobstructed from any debris
- Follow all traffic laws and motor vehicle regulations.
- Consult local laws and regulations for any restrictions on installation or use.
- Using a Backup Camera System is not adequate enough to completely eliminate a vehicle’s blind spot. Always remember to drive with caution, following all traffic laws.
System Installation and Wiring
Note: Camera System installation on diesel vehicles may require a slightly different wiring install.
Caution: Connecting to other types of electrical systems will cause damage to your vehicle. Please contact the manufacturer if you are unaware of the system type in yOur vehicle. Refer to the model’s power requirements prior to connection and installation.
This rearview backup camera system comes in two parts, one is the camera, the other is the monitor. When installing, the camera can be mounted either in the rear of your vehicle (preferably just above the license plate) or in front of your vehicle (also, preferably just above the license plate).
This kit includes necessary wiring and cable connector accessories sufficient for typical connections. However, additional accessory cables and installation materials may be necessary for a completely secure and operational backup camera performance.
Connect the camera, using the red cable, of the included DC 12V power cable, to the positive 12V reverse tail light in the rear of your car. Then, connect the black wire, of the DC 12V power cable, and ground properly. This connected power and ground cable then connects to the camera, and will supply power to the camera directly.
Next, use the included yellow RCA video connector cable, and run that cable from the yellow RCA video connector jack of the camera, to the yellow video connector of the rearview mirror assembly’s power and wiring harness.
Power & Wiring Harness Connection:
Then, connect the included power and wiring harness. Use the DC 12V power connection cable, use it’s a red wire and connect to your vehicle’s positive 12V ignition switch voltage (Which will only be powered when your vehicle is on or activated by key). This followed by connecting the black wire of the DC 12V input and grounding properly. The green line, from the power and wiring harness, activates the 12V reverse positive trigger (Reverse Signal Sense) and supplies power once the vehicle in placed into the reverse gear. Also located on the Power & Wiring Harness are (2) video RCA connection jacks (Labeled V1 and V2). You may use these to connect to the included monitor, along with an additional compatible monitor in your vehicle.
Display Monitor Connection:
Finally, connect the power connection cable of the display monitor into the Power and Wiring Harness Connection.
The additional video input on the monitor and mirror assembly’s harness (V1/V2) is available for connecting an additional monitor or display screen. The included display monitor assembly, when connected, automatically retrieves the video signal when activated. The included display monitor will also give you the option to choose between your video sources (V1/V2).
1. Locate the reverse taillight wiring behind your vehicle’s reverse light. You may need to remove an interior panel, or other cover, in
order to locate the wiring. Connect the included power 12V DC power cable to the reverse light.
2. Connect the camera to this ‘reverse light’ connection installation, then mount the camera in the desired location. The camera also features (3) colored Control Wires (Red, Blue and White).
Control Wires (Red, Blue and White)
Use these optional wiring cables to take advantage of the backup camera’s additional features. Wiring the colored cables together allow further camera control and ability:
Control Wires, Wiring Combinations Output Effect:
Red, Blue, and White:
Wired together, this combination flips the video display horizontally and activates the distance scale lines on the display monitor.
Blue and Red:
Wired together, this combination ONLY activates the distance scale line display on your video monitor
White and Red:
Wired together, this combination ONLY flips the video display horizontally (For mounting the camera in the front of your vehicle.)
3. Attach the Display Monitor.
4. Use the included Power and Wiring Harness’ 12V DC power cable to connect to, preferably, your vehicle’s fuse panel. – 12V ignition control line, this line receives power 12V with key on, loses power with key off.
5. Connect the Power and Wiring Harness to the Display Monitor.
6. Connect the RCA video cable from the camera, to the Power and Wiring Harness.
Camera Installation Transcript:
a. Connect the camera’s Red wire to your vehicle’s reverse light positive wire.
b. Connect the camera’s Black wire to your vehicle’s reverse light negative wire.
c. Connect your desired ‘Control Wires’ combination.
d. Reverse Signal Sense ‘Green Line’ 12V reverse positive trigger – This receives 12V positive power when the reverse lights are activated on the vehicle. It forces the monitor to the ‘ON’ position and into rear view camera mode.
‘Please remember to run cables in the least obtrusive route possible. Vehicle vibrations and bumpy driving conditions can result, so extra care should be taken to securely mount the camera and fasten all cables and wiring to secure locations.
‘Ensure the wires are safely and securely connected, with proper isolation applied to all connections.
– Determine the best location for the camera (The camera is preferably mounted just above the license plate).
– Be sure when running the connection cables to leave a small amount of slack so you can still move the camera around the license plate, if you decide to slightly adjust the camera’s positioning at a later time.
– After installation, Test the camera before use. Placing your vehicle in reverse should provide o picture in the monitor within the rearview mirror assembly.