PowerXL GLA-502S Air Fryer Elite
PREVENT INJURIES! – CAREFULLY READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE!
When using electrical appliances, always follow these basic safety precautions.
- READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons
(including children) with reduced physical, sensory, mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge unless they are given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
Where to Use the Appliance
- DO NOT place on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
- DO NOT place your appliance on a
cooktop, even if the cooktop is cool,
because you could accidentally turn the
cooktop on, causing a fire, damaging the appliance, your cooktop, and your home.
- DO NOT place or use this appliance near water.
- When cooking, DO NOT place the appliance against a wall or within 5 inches of other appliances. DO NOT place anything on top of the appliance.
- A fire may occur if this appliance is covered by or touching flammable material, including curtains, draperies, walls, and the like, when in operation.
- DO NOT use outdoors.
- DO NOT place the appliance in any container or small confined space while the appliance is heated or in operation.
- ALWAYS operate the appliance on a horizontal surface that is level, stable, and noncombustible with adequate space for airflow.
- Before using your appliance on any countertop surface or other fragile surface, such as a glass tabletop, CHECK WITH YOUR COUNTERTOP MANUFACTURER OR INSTALLER for recommendations about using appliances on your surfaces. Some manufacturers and installers may recommend protecting your surface by placing a hot pad or trivet under the appliance for heat protection. Your manufacturer or installer may recommend that hot pans, pots, or electrical appliances should not be used directly on top of the countertop. If you are unsure, place a trivet or hot pad under the appliance before using it.
- THIS APPLIANCE HAS A POLARIZED PLUG (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. DO NOT ATTEMPT to modify the plug in any way.
- DO NOT operate any appliance if it has a damaged cord or plug, if it is not working properly, or if it has been damaged or dropped. Return appliance to an authorized service facility for examination, repair, or adjustment.
- This appliance should be serviced ONLY by qualified service technicians. Contact Customer Service using the information located on the back of this manual.
- NEVER immerse housing in water. If the Unit falls or accidentally becomes immersed in water, unplug from wall outlet immediately. Do not reach into liquid if the appliance is plugged in and immersed.
- To protect against electrical shock, DO NOT immerse cord, plugs, or expose the electrical components to water or other liquid.
- DO NOT plug in the power cord or operate the appliance controls with wet hands.
- ALWAYS make sure the plug is attached to the appliance first, then plug the cord into the wall outlet. To disconnect, press the Power button to turn the appliance off, then remove the plug from the wall outlet.
- A short power supply cord is provided to reduce the risk of entanglement or tripping over a longer cord. Longer detachable power-supply cords or extension cords are available and may be used if care is exercised in their use. If a longer detachable power-supply cord or extension cord is used:
- The marked electrical rating of the cord set or extension cord should be at least as great as the electrical rating of the appliance.
- The cord should be arranged so that it will not drape over the countertop or tabletop where
it can be pulled on by children or tripped over unintentionally.
- If the appliance is of the grounded type, the cord set or extension cord should be a grounding-type 3-wire cord.
- KEEP the appliance and its power cord out of reach of children when it is in operation or in the cooling down process.
- NEVER plug the appliance into an outlet below the surface where the appliance is placed.
- DO NOT let the power cord hang over the edge of a table or counter, or touch hot surfaces.
- DO NOT clean with metal scouring pads. Pieces can break off the pad and touch electrical parts, creating risks of electric shock.
- Should the appliance emit black smoke, UNPLUG IMMEDIATELY and wait for smoking to stop before handling the appliance. Allow the appliance to cool and wipe excess oil and grease from the appliance.
- Cooking appliances should be positioned in a stable location with the handles (if any) positioned to avoid the spillage of hot liquids.
- NEVER operate the appliance unattended.
- NEVER connect this appliance to an external timer switch or separate remote-control system.
- The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may cause injuries.
- UNPLUG the appliance from outlet when not in use and before cleaning. ALLOW 30 minutes to cool before handling, putting on or taking off parts, cleaning, or storing.
- DO NOT cover the Air Intake Vent or Hot Air Outlet Vent while the appliance is operating. Doing so will prevent even cooking and may overheat or damage the appliance.
- When in operation, hot air and steam is released through the Hot Air Outlet Vent. KEEP YOUR HANDS AND FACE at a safe distance from the Hot Air Outlet Vent and KEEP the Vent clear of obstructions.
- While cooking, the internal temperature of the appliance reaches several hundred degrees Fahrenheit. To avoid personal injury, NEVER place hands inside the appliance unless it is thoroughly cooled.
- The appliance’s outer surfaces and accessories may become hot during use. WEAR OVEN MITTS when handling the appliance during and after use, and to protect against hot steam and air released when opening the appliance.
- DO NOT touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs.
- EXTREME CAUTION MUST BE USED when moving an appliance containing hot oil or other hot liquids or when removing accessories or disposing of hot grease. This appliance is not intended for deep-frying foods.
- Oversized foods, metal foil packages, or utensils MUST NOT be inserted in the appliance as they may involve a risk of fire or electric shock.
DO NOT overfill the appliance.
- DO NOT store any materials, other than manufacturer-recommended accessories, in this appliance when not in use.
- DO NOT place any of the following materials in the appliance: paper, cardboard, plastic.
- NEVER pour oil into the appliance or accessories. Fire and personal injury could result.
- DO NOT use aerosol cooking sprays. These sprays will build up on cookware and become difficult to remove while reducing the nonstick cooking performance.
- DO NOT expose the appliance to corrosive chemicals or vapors.
- DO NOT use sharp utensils with the appliance. These implements can damage the appliance’s protective non-stick coating.
- When cleaning the appliance interior, use ONLY mild, nonabrasive soaps or detergents applied with a sponge or soft cloth.
- This appliance is for home use only. If the appliance is used improperly or for professional or semi-professional purposes or if it is not used according to the instructions in the user manual, the guarantee becomes invalid and Tristar will not be held liable for damages. DO NOT use this appliance for anything other than its intended use.
- SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
This product can expose you to Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- NEVER rest anything on the basket while it is open.
- DO NOT leave the basket open for an extended period.
- ALWAYS ensure that nothing is protruding out of the appliance before closing the basket.
- ALWAYS close the basket gently; NEVER slam the basket closed. ALWAYS hold the handle of the basket when opening and closing
- The appliance MUST be operated with the Drip Tray in place, and the Drip Tray MUST be cleaned if it becomes more than half full.
- NEVER operate your appliance with the basket open.
- When the cooking time has completed, cooking will stop and the fan will continue to run for 10 to 20 seconds to cool down the appliance.
- The appliance is equipped with an internal microswitch that automatically shuts down the fan and heating element when the (Basket is removed).
This appliance has a polarized plug (one size wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to modify the plug in any way.
The appliance has a built-in shut-off device that will automatically shut off the appliance when the cooking time has completed. You can manually switch off the appliance by pressing the Power Button. The fan will continue running for 10 to 20 seconds to cool down the appliance.
Should the inner temperature control system fail, the overheating protection system will be activated and the appliance will not function. Should this happen, unplug the appliance. Allow time for the appliance to cool completely before restarting or storing.
This appliance complies with all standards regarding electromagnetic fields. If handled properly and according to the instructions in the user manual, the appliance is safe to use based on scientific evidence available today.
Parts & Accessories
- MAIN UNIT HOUSING
- CONTROL PANEL
- AIR INLET VENT
- HOT AIR OUTLET VENT
- POWER CABLE
- FRY TRAY
- GRILL PLATE*
- RUBBER BUMPERS
*May be sold separately.
Unpack all listed contents from the packaging. Contents vary by model. Please remove any clear or blue protective film on the components before use. Optional items may be sold separately.
†Removing the bumpers is not recommended to avoid scratching the Basket.
Appliance may be hot. Be careful not to touch the appliance while in use. Keep the appliance away from other objects.
Using The Control Panel
- Power Button
Once the Basket is properly placed in the Main Unit Housing, the Control Panel will be illuminated. Pressing the Power Button once will set the appliance to a default cooking temperature of 370° F (188° C) and time of 15 minutes. Pressing the Power Button a second time will start the cooking process. Pressing the Power Button during the cooking cycle will turn the appliance off.
- Preset Button (M)
Press the Preset Button to cycle between the eight cooking presets. Once a cooking preset has been selected for 5 seconds, the cooking cycle will begin. See the Preset Chart below for the cooking times and temperatures associated with each preset.
- Temperature Control Buttons
The + and − symbols enable you to add or decrease cooking temperature 5° F at a time. Keeping a button held down will rapidly change the temperature. The temperature can be adjusted after the cooking cycle has begun. Temperature control range: 180° F–400° F (82° C–204° C).
- Time and Temperature Display
This display will keep track of the temperature and remaining cook time.
- Timer Control Buttons
The + and − symbols enable you to add or decrease cooking time 1 minute at a time. Keeping the Button held down will rapidly change the time. The time can be adjusted after the cooking cycle has begun. Time control range: 1– 60 minutes.
- Blue Fan Icon & Red Heat Light
The spinning Blue Fan Icon will appear when the appliance is turned on and for up to 20 seconds after it is turned off. The star-shaped Red Heat Light will appear inside the center of the fan when the appliance is in Cook or Preheat mode.
Once you are familiar with the appliance, you may want to experiment with your own recipes. Simply choose the time and temperature that suits your personal taste.
Instructions for Use
Before First Use
- Remove all the packaging material.
- Remove any stickers or labels from the appliance.
- Before initial use, wipe the inside and outside of the appliance with a warm, moist cloth and mild detergent. Handwash all cooking accessories.
- Before cooking food, preheat the appliance for a few minutes to allow the appliance to burn off the manufacturer’s protective coating of oil. Wipe the appliance with warm, soapy water and a dishcloth after this burn-off cycle.
- Place the appliance on a stable, horizontal, and level surface. Do not place the appliance on a surface that is not heat resistant. Ensure that the appliance is used in an area with good air circulation and away from hot surfaces and any combustible materials. Do not place your appliance on a cooktop, even if the cooktop is cool, because you could accidentally turn the cooktop on and damage the appliance, your cooktop and your home.
- Place the Fry Tray in the Basket. Slide the Basket into the appliance. If the Basket is placed properly, it will click into place.
NOTE: This appliance cooks using hot air. Do not fill the basket with oil or frying fat. Do not put anything on top of the appliance. This disrupts the airflow and affects the cooking results.
Using the Air Fryer
- Plug the appliance into a grounded wall outlet.
- To preheat, push the Power Button.
- Press the Temperature Increase or Decrease Buttons to set the cooking temperature.
- Press the Time Decrease Button to set the preheat time to 3 minutes. When the preheat cycle finishes, carefully pull the Basket out of the appliance and place the ingredients inside.
NOTE: Do not touch the Basket directly because the Basket becomes very hot during operation. Only hold the Basket by its handle.
- Press the Power Button. Set the appropriate time and temperature for the ingredients you are cooking.
- When the timer beeps five times, the set cooking time has elapsed. Pull the basket out of the appliance and place it on a heat-resistant surface.
- If the food is fully cooked, use tongs to remove food. If the food is not fully cooked, simply slide the Basket back into the appliance and add a few minutes to the cooking time.
CAUTION: Do not turn the basket upside down because any excess oil that has collected on the bottom of the basket will leak onto the ingredients.
- The appliance is instantly ready for preparing more food.
To ensure even cooking, some foods require shaking during the cooking process. Remove the Basket from the appliance. Gently shake the contents as needed and place them back in the appliance to continue cooking.
CAUTION: The Basket will be hot. Wear an oven mitt during this procedure.
- Place the Basket on a heat-resistant surface.
- Shake the ingredients in the basket.
- Return the Basket to the appliance to finish cooking.
- Foods that are smaller in size usually require a slightly shorter cooking time than larger foods.
- Large quantities of food only require a longer cooking time than smaller quantities.
- Shaking food halfway through the cooking process ensures that all the pieces are fried evenly.
- Adding a bit of vegetable oil to fresh potatoes is suggested for a crispier result. When adding oil, do so just before cooking and add only a small amount onto the potato.
- Snacks normally cooked in an oven can also be cooked in this appliance.
- Use premade dough to prepare filled snacks quickly and easily. Premade dough also requires a shorter cooking time than homemade dough.
- You can use this appliance to reheat foods. Simply set the temperature and time to however warm you want your food.
General Cooking Guidelines
NOTE: Keep in mind that these settings are guidelines. Since ingredients differ in origin, size, shape, and brand, we cannot guarantee the best settings for youAr ingredients.
|FROZEN FOOD |
|French fries || ||400° F (204° C) ||18 min || ||ü || |
|Sweet potato fries || ||400° F (204° C) ||22 min || ||ü || |
|Chicken nuggets || ||400° F (204° C) ||14 min || ||ü || |
|Breaded cutlets ||6 oz ||400° F (204° C) ||10 min ||ü ||ü ||ü |
|Wings || ||400° F (204° C) ||25 min ||ü ||ü || |
|Chicken breast ||6 oz ||400° F (204° C) ||8 min ||ü || || |
|Burgers ||6 oz ||400° F (204° C) ||10 min ||ü ||ü || |
|Hot dogs ||8 pc ||375° F (191° C) ||5 min ||ü ||ü || |
|NY strip steaks ||8 oz ||400° F (204° C) ||12 min ||ü ||ü || |
|Meatballs, 1 inch ||1.5 lb ||375° F (191° C) ||10 min ||ü ||ü || |
|Pork chops || ||400° F (204° C) ||12 min ||ü ||ü || |
|Sausages || ||350° F (177° C) ||15 min ||ü ||ü || |
|Salmon filets ||6 oz ||390° F (199° C) ||12 min ||ü || || |
|Shrimp (16–20 size) ||12 oz ||390° F (199° C) ||10 min ||ü ||ü || |
|Asparagus ||1 lb ||380° F (193° C) ||8 min || ||ü ||ü |
|Broccoli ||8 oz ||380° F (193° C) ||8 min || ||ü ||ü |
|Corn on the cob ||2 pc ||380° F (193° C) ||8 min || ||ü ||ü |
|PREPARED FOOD |
|Hard boiled eggs, shell on || ||250° F (121° C) ||18 min || || || |
|Cake || ||320° F (160° C) ||20 min || || || |
|Grilled cheese sandwich ||1 pc ||375° F (191° C) ||6 min ||ü ||ü || |
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I prepare foods other than fried dishes with my air fryer?
You can prepare a variety of dishes, including steaks, chops, burgers, and baked goods. See the Air Fryer Recipe Guide.
- Is the air fryer good for making or reheating soups and sauces?
Never cook or reheat liquids in the air fryer.
- Is it possible to shut off the appliance at any time?
Press the Power Button once to shut off the appliance.
- What do I do if the appliance shuts off while cooking?
As a safety feature, the Air Fryer has an Auto Shut-Off device that prevents damage from overheating. Remove the Basket and set it on a heat-resistant surface. Allow the appliance to cool down. Remove the Power Cable from the outlet. Once cool, plug the Power Cable back into the outlet. Restart by pressing the Power Button.
- Does the appliance need time to heat up?
If you are cooking from a cold start, add 3 minutes to the cooking time to compensate.
- Can I check the food during the cooking process?
You can remove the Basket at any time while cooking is in progress. Removing the Basket pauses the cooking cycle. Reinserting the Basket resumes the cooking cycle.
- Is the air fryer dishwasher safe?
Only the Basket and Fry Tray are dishwasher safe. The appliance itself, which contains the heating coil and electronics, should never be submerged in liquid of any kind or cleaned with anything more than a warm, moist cloth or nonabrasive sponge with a small amount of mild detergent.
- What happens if the appliance still does not work after I have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions?
Never attempt a home repair. Contact the retailer or customer service and follow the procedures set forth by the guarantee. Failure to do so could render your guarantee null and void.
Cleaning & Storage
Clean the appliance after each use. The Basket and Fry Tray are coated with a special nonstick surface. Never use abrasive cleaning materials or utensils on these surfaces.
- Remove the Power Cable from the wall outlet and be certain the appliance is thoroughly cooled before cleaning.
- Wipe the basket with a dishcloth dampened with warm, soapy water.
- Clean the baskets and Fry Tray with hot water, a mild detergent, and a nonabrasive sponge.
NOTE: The Fry Basket and Fry Tray are dishwasher safe.
Tip: Should the basket contain difficult-to- remove food particles, soak in hot, soapy water for 10 minutes.
- Clean the inside of the appliance with a warm, moist cloth or nonabrasive sponge with a small amount of mild detergent.
- If necessary, remove unwanted food residue from the heating element with a soft cleaning brush.
- Unplug the appliance and let it cool down thoroughly.
- Make sure all components are clean and dry.
- Place the appliance in a clean, dry place.
90-Day Money-Back Guarantee
The PowerXL Air Fryer Elite is covered by a 90-day money-back guarantee. If you are not 100% satisfied with your product, return the product and request a replacement product or refund. Proof of purchase is required. Refunds will include the purchase price, less processing and handling. Follow the instructions in the Return Policy below to request a replacement or refund.
Replacement Guarantee Policy
Our products, when purchased from an authorized retailer, include a 1-year replacement guarantee if your product or component part does not perform as expected, the guarantee extends only to the original purchaser and is not transferable. If you experience an issue with one of our products within 1 year of purchase, return the product or the component part for replacement with a functionally equivalent new product or part. The original proof of purchase is required, and you are responsible to pay to return the appliance to us. In the event a replacement appliance is issued, the guarantee coverage ends six (6) months following the receipt date of the replacement appliance or the remainder of the existing guarantee, whichever is later. Tristar reserves the right to replace the appliance with one of equal or greater value.
If, for any reason, you would like to replace or return the product under the money-back guarantee, your order number can be used as the return merchandise authorization number (RMA). If the product was purchased in a retail store, return the product to the store or use “RETAIL” as the RMA. Return your product to the address provided below for a replacement, which will incur no additional processing and handling fees, or for the refund of your purchase price, less processing and handling. You are responsible for the cost of returning the product. You can locate your order number at www.customerstatus.com. You can call customer service at 973-287-5129 or email email@example.com for any additional questions. Pack the product carefully and include in the package a note with
- your name,
- mailing address,
- phone number,
- email address,
- reason for return, and
- proof of purchase or order number, and
- specify on the note whether you are requesting a refund or replacement. Write the RMA on the outside of the package.
Send the product to the following return address:
PowerXL Air Fryer Elite
500 Returns Road
Wallingford, CT 06495
If the replacement or refund request has not been acknowledged after two weeks, please contact Customer Service at 973-287-5129.
Refunds requested within the money-back guarantee timeframe will be issued to the payment method used at purchase if the item was purchased directly from Tristar. If the item was purchased from an authorized retailer, proof of purchase is required, and a check will be issued for the item and sales tax amount. Processing and handling fees are non-refundable.
Documents / Resources