CLASSIC AIR FRYER
Save These Instructions For Household Use Only
MODELS: HF-509DT (4 qt.) – HF-8959DT (5 qt.) – HF-196DT (7 qt.)
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed. Do not use the PowerXL Classic Air FryerTM until you have read this manual thoroughly.
Visit TristarCares.com for tutorial videos, product details, and more. Guarantee Information Inside
PowerXL Classic Air Fryer
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
The PowerXL Classic Air Fryer will provide you many years of delicious family meals and memories around the dinner table. But before you begin, it’s very important that you read this entire manual, making certain that you are totally familiar with this appliance’s operation and precautions.
PREVENT INJURIES! CAREFULLY READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE!
When using electrical appliances, always follow these basic safety precautions.
- READ AND FOLLOW all instructions carefully.
- NEVER immerse the Main Unit Housing, which contains electrical components and heating elements in water. Do not rinse under water.
- THIS APPLIANCE IS NOT INTENDED FOR use by persons with reduced physical, sensory, or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge unless they are under the supervision of a responsible person or have been given proper instruction in using the appliance. This appliance is not intended for use by children.
- TO AVOID ELECTRICAL SHOCK, do not put liquid of any kind into the Main Unit Housing containing the electrical components.
- THIS APPLIANCE HAS A POLARIZED PLUG (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to modify the plug in any way.
- MAKE SURE the appliance is plugged into a wall socket. Always make sure that the plug is inserted into the wall socket properly.
- DO NOT use outdoors.
- DO NOT place the appliance on the stove top. Place on a flat, horizontal surface with adequate space for air flow. Do not place other appliances within 5 in. of the appliance.
- TO PREVENT food contact with the heating elements, do not overfill.
- DO NOT cover the Air Intake Vent or Hot Air Outlet Vent while the appliance is operating. Doing so will prevent even cooking and may damage the appliance or cause it to overheat.
- NEVER pour oil into the Basket. Fire and personal injury could result.
- WHILE COOKING, the internal temperature of the appliance reaches several hundred degrees F. To avoid personal injury, never place hands inside the appliance unless it is thoroughly cooled down.
- DO NOT use this appliance if the plug, the power cord, or the appliance itself is damaged in any way.
- IF THE POWER CORD IS DAMAGED, you must have it replaced by the manufacturer, its service agent, or a similarly qualified person in order to avoid hazard.
- KEEP the appliance and its power cord out of the reach of children when it is in operation or in the cooling down process.
- KEEP the power cord away from hot surfaces. Do not plug in the power cord or operate the appliance controls with wet hands.
- NEVER connect this appliance to an external timer switch or separate remote-control system.
- NEVER use this appliance with an extension cord of any kind. A short power-supply cord (or detachable power-supply cord) is provided to reduce the risk of becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord.
- DO NOT let cord hang over the edge of table or counter surfaces.
- DO NOT operate the appliance on or near combustible materials, such as tablecloths, paper towels, or curtains.
- WHEN COOKING, do not place the appliance against a wall or against other appliances. Leave at least 5 in. free space on the back and sides and above the appliance. Do not place anything on top of the appliance.
- DO NOT USE the appliance for any purpose other than described in this manual.
- THE USE OF ACCESSORY ATTACHMENTS not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may cause injuries.
- NEVER operate the appliance unattended.
- WHEN IN OPERATION, hot air and steam is released through the Hot Air Outlet Vent. Keep your hands and face at a safe distance from the Hot Air Outlet Vent. Also avoid the hot steam and air while removing the Basket and Fry Tray from the appliance.
- THE APPLIANCE’S OUTER SURFACES may become hot during use.The Basket and Fry Tray will be hot. Wear oven mitts when handling hot components or touching hot surfaces.
- Before using your new appliance on any countertop surface, CHECK with your countertop manufacturer or installer for recommendations about using appliances on your surfaces. Some manufacturers and installers may recommend protecting your surface by placing a hot pad or trivet under the appliance for heat protection. Your manufacturer or installer may recommend that hot pans, pots, or electrical appliances should not be used directly on top of the countertop. If you are unsure, place a trivet or hot pad under the appliance before using it.
- DO NOT place your appliance on a on a cooktop, even if cool, because it could cause a fire or damage the appliance, your cooktop, and your home.
- SHOULD THE APPLIANCE EMIT BLACK SMOKE, unplug immediately and wait for smoking to stop. Allow the appliance to cool and wipe excess oil and grease from the appliance.
- Extreme caution must be used when moving an appliance containing hot oil or other hot liquids.
- USE EXTREME CAUTION when removing tray or disposing of hot grease.
- DO NOT clean with metal scouring pads. Pieces can break off the pad and touch electrical parts, creating risks of electric shock.
For California Residents
This product can expose you to Bisphenol A, which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY
- Always operate the appliance on a horizontal surface that is level, stable, and noncombustible.
- This appliance is intended for normal household use only. It is not intended for use in commercial or retail environments.
- If the appliance is used improperly or for professional or semi-professional purposes or if it is not used according to the instructions in the user manual, the guarantee becomes invalid and the manufacturer will not be held liable for damages.
- Always unplug the appliance after use.
- When the cooking time has completed, cooking will stop and the fan will continue running for 10 secs. to cool down the appliance.
- Let the appliance cool down for approximately 30 mins. before handling, cleaning, or storing.
- The appliance is equipped with an internal microswitch that automatically shuts down the fan and heating element when the Basket is removed.
Should the inner temperature control system fail, the overheating protection system will be activated and the appliance will not function. Should this happen, unplug the appliance. Allow time for the appliance to cool completely before restarting or storing.
The appliance has a built-in shut-off device that will automatically shut off the appliance when the cooking time has completed. You can manually switch off the appliance by pressing the Power Button. The fan will continue running for 10 secs. to cool down the appliance.
The appliance should be operated on a dedicated electrical outlet. If the electrical outlet is being used by other appliances, your new appliance may not operate properly.
This appliance complies with all standards regarding electromagnetic fields. If handled properly and according to the instructions in this user manual, the appliance is safe to use based on scientific evidence available today.
Parts & Accessories
|1. MAIN UNIT HOUSING |
2. CONTROL PANEL
3. AIR INLET VENT
|4. HOT AIR OUTLET VENT |
5. POWER CABLE
6. FRY TRAY
|7. RUBBER BUMPERS* |
NOTE: Unpack all listed contents from the packaging. Contents vary by model. Please remove any clear or blue protective film on the components before use.
*Removing bumpers is not recommended.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure that your PowerXL Classic Air Fryer has been shipped with the components that you ordered (some accessories may be sold separately). Check everything carefully before use. If any part is missing or damaged, do not use this product. Contact customer service using the number located on the back of the manual.
CAUTION: Appliance may be hot. Be careful not to touch the appliance while in use. Keep the appliance away from other objects.
|Model Number ||Supply Power ||Rated Power ||Capacity ||Temperature |
|HF-509DT ||120V ~60Hz ||1200W ||4 qt. ||180° F/ 82° C–400° F/ 204° C |
|HF-8959DT ||120V ~60Hz ||1500W ||5 qt. ||180° F/ 82° C–400° F/ 204° C |
|HF-196DT ||120V ~60Hz ||1700W ||7 qt. ||180° F/ 82° C–400° F/ 204° C |
Using The Control Panel
4-Qt. Display Panel
5– and 7-Qt. Display Panel
Model (5-Qt.): HF-8959DT
Model (7-Qt.): HF-196DT
- Power Button
Once the Basket and Fry Tray are properly placed in the Main Unit Housing, the Control Panel will be illuminated. Pressing the Power Button once will set the appliance to a default cooking temperature of 370° F/188° C and time of 15 mins. Pressing the Power Button a second time will start the cooking process. Pressing the Power Button during the cooking cycle will turn the appliance off.
- Timer Control Buttons
The + and − symbols enable you to increase or decrease cooking time 1 min. at a time. Keeping the Button held down will rapidly change the time. Time control range: 0– 60 mins.
- Temperature Control Buttons
The + and − symbols enable you to increase or decrease cooking temperature 10° F at a time. Keeping a button held down will rapidly change the temperature. Temperature control range: 180° F/ 82° C–400° F/204° C.
- Cooking Presets
Press the cooking preset buttons to choose from up to ten cooking presets (smaller models have fewer presets; see Fig. 1). See the Preset Chart below for the cooking times and temperatures associated with each preset.
NOTE: The running lights on the Control Panel will illuminate when the cooking cycle begins and will stay illuminated for up to 20 seconds after the cooking cycle is complete.
- Time and Temperature Display
This display will keep track of the temperature and remaining cook time.
Once you are familiar with the appliance, you may want to experiment with your own recipes. Simply choose the time and temperature that suits your personal taste.
NOTE: The Roast, Bake, and Shrimp presets are only available with the 5-quart and 7-quart models.
|Preset ||Temperature ||Time ||Models |
|Default ||370° F (188° C) ||15 mins. ||All models |
| French Fry ||400° F (204° C) ||18 mins. ||All models |
| Roast ||350° F (177° C) ||25 mins. ||5 & 7 Quart |
| Bake ||310° F (154° C) ||30 mins. ||5 & 7 Quart |
|Fish ||350° F (177° C) ||10 mins. ||All models |
|Shrimp ||330° F (165° C) ||8 mins. ||5 & 7 Quart |
|Chicken ||360° F (182° C) ||20 mins. ||All models |
|Steak ||400° F (204° C) ||12 mins. ||All models |
Fig. 1: Only the 5-quart and 7-quart models have all seven presets listed in this chart.
Instructions for Use
Before First Use
- Remove all the packaging material.
- Remove any stickers or labels from the appliance.
- Before initial use, wipe the inside and outside of the appliance with a warm, moist cloth and mild detergent. Handwash all cooking accessories.
- Before cooking food, preheat the PowerXL Classic Air Fryer for a few minutes to allow the appliance to burn off the manufacturer’s protective coating of oil. Wipe the appliance with warm, soapy water and a washcloth after this burn-in cycle.
- Place the appliance on a stable, horizontal, and level surface. Do not place the appliance on a surface that is not heat resistant. Ensure that the appliance is used in an area with good air circulation and away from hot surfaces and any combustible materials. Do not place on the stove top.
- Place the Fry Tray in the Basket. Slide the Basket into the appliance. If the Basket is placed properly, it will click into place.
NOTE: The PowerXL Classic Air Fryer cooks using hot air. Do not fill the Basket with oil or frying fat. Do not put anything on top of the Unit. This disrupts the airflow and affects the cooking results.
Using the PowerXL Classic Air Fryer
- Plug the appliance into a grounded wall socket.
- To preheat, push the Power Button.
- Press the Temperature Increase or Decrease Buttons to set the cooking temperature.
- Press the Time Decrease Button to set the preheat time to 3 mins. When the preheat cycle finishes, carefully pull the Basket out of the appliance and place the ingredients inside.
NOTE: For better performance, always use the Fry Tray with the Basket.
- Do not touch the Basket directly because the Basket becomes very hot during operation. Only hold the Basket by its handle.
- Press the Power Button. Set the appropriate time and temperature for the ingredients you are cooking.
- When the timer beeps five times, the set cooking time has elapsed. Pull the Basket out of the appliance and place it on a heatresistant surface.
- Use tongs to remove food.
CAUTION: Do not turn the Basket upside down because any excess oil that has collected on the bottom of the basket will leak onto the ingredients.
- If the food is not fully cooked, simply slide the Basket back into the appliance and add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- The appliance is instantly ready for preparing another batch.
To ensure even cooking, some foods require shaking during the cooking process. Remove the Basket from the appliance. Gently shake the contents as needed and place them back in the appliance to continue cooking.
CAUTION: The Basket will be hot. Wear an oven mitt during this procedure.
- Place the Basket on a heat-resistant surface.
- Shake the ingredients in the Basket.
- Return the Basket to the appliance to finish cooking.
- Foods that are smaller in size usually require a slightly shorter cooking time than larger foods.
- Large quantities of food only require a longer cooking time than smaller quantities.
- Shaking smaller-sized foods halfway through the cooking process ensures that all the pieces are fried evenly.
- Adding a bit of vegetable oil to fresh potatoes is suggested for a crispier result. When adding oil, do so just before cooking and add only a small amount onto the potato.
- Snacks normally cooked in an oven can also be cooked in the PowerXL Classic Air Fryer.
- Use premade dough to prepare filled snacks quickly and easily. Premade dough also requires a shorter cooking time than homemade dough.
- You can use the PowerXL Classic Air Fryer to reheat foods. Simply set the temperature and time to however warm you want your food.
|Model/Size ||French Fries Quantity |
|4 qt. ||16 oz. |
|5 qt. ||22 oz. |
|7 qt. ||28 oz. |
General Cooking Guidelines
NOTE: Keep in mind that these settings are guidelines. Since ingredients differ in origin, size, shape, and brand, we cannot guarantee the best settings for your ingredients.
|FOOD ITEM ||QUANTITY ||SHAKE ||TEMP ||COOK TIME |
Adjustable Range (Increments)
|Thin Frozen Fries ||1¼ cups ||YES ||400° F/ 204° C ||15–16 mins. (1 min.) || |
|Thick Frozen Fries ||1¼ cups ||YES ||400° F/ 204° C ||15–20 mins. (1 min.) || |
|Homemade Fries ||1¼ cups ||YES ||400° F/ 204° C ||10–16 mins. (1 min.) ||Add ½ tbsp. oil |
|Homemade Potato Wedges ||1¼ cups ||YES ||360° F/ 182° C ||18–22 mins. (1 min.) ||Add ½ tbsp. oil |
|Hash Browns ||1 cup ||YES ||360° F/ 182° C ||15–18 mins. (1 min.) || |
|Steak ||¼ – 1.1 lb || ||360° F/ 182° C ||8–12 mins. (1 min.) || |
|Pork Chops ||¼ – 1.1 lb || ||360° F/ 182° C ||10–14 mins. (1 min.) || |
|Hamburger ||¼ – 1.1 lb || ||360° F/ 182° C ||7–14 mins. (1 min.) || |
|Sausage Roll ||¼ – 1.1 lb || ||400° F/ 204° C ||13–15 mins. (1 min.) || |
|Chicken Drumstick ||¼ – 1.1 lb || ||360° F/ 182° C ||18–22 mins. (1 min.) || |
|Chicken Breast ||¼ – 1.1 lb || ||360° F/ 182° C ||10–15 mins. (1 min.) || |
|Spring Rolls ||¼ – 3/4 lb ||YES ||400° F/ 204° C ||15–20 mins. (1 min.) ||Use oven-ready |
|Frozen Chicken Nuggets ||¼ – 1.1 lb ||YES ||400° F/ 204° C ||10–15 mins. (1 min.) ||Use oven-ready |
|Frozen Fish Sticks ||¼ – 1.1 lb || ||400° F/ 204° C ||6–10 mins. (1 min.) ||Use oven-ready |
|Mozzarella Sticks ||¼ – 1.1 lb || ||360° F/ 182° C ||8–10 mins. (1 min.) ||Use oven-ready |
|Cake ||1 ¼ cups || ||320° F/ 160° C ||20–25 mins. (1 min.) ||Use baking tin |
|Quiche ||1 ½ cups || ||360° F/ 182° C ||20–22 mins. (1 min.) ||Use baking tin/oven dish |
|Muffins ||1 ¼ cups || ||400° F/ 204° C ||15–18 mins. (1 min.) ||Use baking tin |
|Baked Goods ||1 ½ cups || ||320° F/ 160° C ||20 mins. (1 min.) ||Use baking tin/oven dish |
|Symptom ||Possible Cause ||Solution |
|The PowerXL Classic Air Fryer does not work ||The appliance is not plugged in. ||Plug the Power Cable into a wall socket. |
|You have not turned the appliance On |
by setting the preparation time and temperature.
|Press the Power Button. |
Select a time and temperature. Press the Power Button again and cooking will begin.
|You have probably turned Off the appliance. If you press the Power Button while the appliance is cooking, you will trigger the Auto Shut-Off mode. ||Press the Power Button. Select a time and temperature. Press the Power Button again and cooking will begin. |
|Food is not cooked ||The Basket is overloaded. ||Use smaller batches for more even frying. |
|The temperature is set too low. ||Raise temperature and continue cooking. |
|Food is not fried evenly ||Some foods need to be shaken during |
the cooking process.
|See Shaking in Instructions for Use, p. 11. |
|Basket will not slide into appliance properly ||The Basket is overloaded. ||Do not fill the Basket above the Maximum line. |
|The Fry Tray is not placed in the Basket correctly. ||Ensure the Fry Tray sits evenly on the bottom of the Basket. |
|White smoke coming from appliance ||Too much oil is being used. ||Wipe down to remove excess oil. |
|The Basket has grease residue from the |
|Clean the Basket after each use. |
|French fries are not fried evenly ||Potatoes are not prepped properly. ||Consult a recipe for potato type and prep. |
|Fries are not cut evenly. ||Cut fries thinner or reshape fries. |
|Fries are too crowded. ||Spread fries out or cook a smaller batch. |
|Potatoes are not rinsed properly during preparation. ||Pat dry to remove excess starch. |
|Fries are not crispy ||Raw fries have too much water. ||Dry potato sticks properly before misting oil. |
|Cut sticks smaller. |
|Add a bit more oil. |
|Error ||E1 – Broken circuit of the thermal sensor ||Call Customer Service at 973-287-5129 |
|E2 – Short circuit of the thermal sensor |
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I prepare foods other than fried dishes with my PowerXL Classic Air Fryer? You can prepare a variety of dishes, including steaks, chops, burgers, and baked goods. See the PowerXL Classic Air Fryer Recipe Guide.
- Is the PowerXL Classic Air Fryer good for making or reheating soups and sauces? Never cook or reheat liquids in the appliance.
- Is it possible to shut off the appliance at any time? Press the Power Button once or remove the Basket.
- What do I do if the appliance shuts off while cooking? As a safety feature, the PowerXL Classic Air Fryer has an Auto Shut-Off device that prevents damage from overheating. Remove the Basket and set it on a heat-resistant surface. Allow the appliance to cool down. Remove the Power Cable from the outlet. Once cool, plug the Power Cable back into the socket. Restart by pressing the Power Button.
- Does the appliance need time to heat up? If you are cooking from a cold start, add 3 mins. to the cooking time to compensate.
- Can I check the food during the cooking process? You can remove the Basket at any time while cooking is in progress. During this time, you can shake the contents in the Basket if needed to ensure even cooking.
- Is the PowerXL Classic Air Fryer dishwasher safe? Only the Fry Tray is dishwasher safe. The appliance itself, which contains the heating coil and electronics, should never be submerged in liquid of any kind or cleaned with anything more than a warm, moist cloth or nonabrasive sponge with a small amount of mild detergent.
- What happens if the appliance still does not work after I have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions? Never attempt a home repair. Contact customer service and follow the procedures set forth by the guarantee. Failure to do so could render your guarantee null and void.
Clean the PowerXL Classic Air Fryer after each use.
The Basket and the Fry Tray are coated with a special nonstick surface. Never use abrasive cleaning materials or utensils on these surfaces.
- Remove the Power Cable from the wall socket and be certain the appliance is thoroughly cooled before cleaning.
- Wipe the outside of the appliance with a warm, moist cloth and mild detergent.
- Clean the Basket and the Fry Tray with hot water, a mild detergent, and a nonabrasive sponge.
NOTE: The Fry Tray is dishwasher safe.
TIP: Should the Fry Tray contain difficult-to-remove food particles, soak in hot, soapy water for 10 mins.
NOTE: The rubber bumpers on the Fry Tray are part of the Fry Tray and should generally not be removed. However, if the rubber bumpers need to be cleaned, they can be removed and reattached: To remove the rubber bumpers, locate the capped end of the bumpers and push the capped end off of the Fry Tray. There will be some resistance, but keep pushing until the rubber bumpers come off of the Fry Tray. Take note of the slot on which the bumpers were sitting. To reattach the rubber bumpers, align the hole in the rubber bumpers with the slots from which the rubber bumpers were removed. Slide the rubber bumpers all the way back onto the slot on the Fry Tray.
- Clean the inside of the appliance with hot water, a mild detergent, and a nonabrasive sponge.
- If necessary, remove unwanted food residue from the heating element with a soft cleaning brush.
- Unplug the appliance and let it cool down thoroughly.
- Make sure all components are clean and dry.
- Place the appliance in a clean, dry place.
CLASSIC AIR FRYER
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee
The PowerXL Classic Air Fryer is covered by a 60-day money-back guarantee. If you are not 100% satisfied with your product, return the product and request a replacement product or refund. Proof of purchase is required. Refunds will include the purchase price, less processing and handling. Follow the instructions in the Return Policy below to request a replacement or refund.
Replacement Guarantee Policy
Our products, when purchased from an authorized retailer, include a 1-year replacement guarantee if your product or component part does not perform as expected, the guarantee extends only to the original purchaser and is not transferable. If you experience an issue with one of our products within 1 year of purchase, return the product or the component part for replacement with a functionally equivalent new product or part. The original proof of purchase is required, and you are responsible to pay to return the unit to us. In the event a replacement unit is issued, the guarantee coverage ends six (6) months following the receipt date of the replacement unit or the remainder of the existing guarantee, whichever is later. Tristar reserves the right to replace the unit with one of equal or greater value.
To receive a refund or replacement under the money-back guarantee, you must return the product to us at your expense. To return the product, call customer service at 1-973-287-5129 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and request a return merchandise authorization number. Pack the product carefully and include in the package a note with (1) your name, (2) mailing address, (3) phone number, (4) email address, (5) reason for return, and (6) proof of purchase or order number, and (7) specify on the note whether you are requesting a refund or replacement. Write the return merchandise authorization number on the outside of the package.
Send the product to the following return address:
PowerXL Classic Air Fryer
500 Returns Road
Wallingford, CT 06495
If the replacement or refund request has not been acknowledged after two weeks, please contact Customer Service at 973-287-5129.
Refunds requested within the money-back guarantee timeframe will be issued to the payment method used at purchase if the item was purchased directly from Tristar. If the item was purchased from an authorized retailer, proof of purchase is required, and a check will be issued for the item and sales tax amount. Processing and handling fees are non-refundable.
CLASSIC AIR FRYER
We are very proud of the design and quality of our
PowerXL Classic Air Fryer™.
This product has been manufactured to the highest standards.
Should you have any questions, our friendly customer service staff is here to help you.
Visit us at www.TristarCares.com, email us at
or call us at 973-287-5129
Tristar Products, Inc. Fairfield, NJ 07004
© 2020 Tristar Products, Inc.
Made in China
Documents / Resources