Oster 3.7L Immersion Deep Fryer
For product questions:
Sunbeam Consumer Service
USA : 1.800.334.0759
Canada : 1.800.667.8623
© 2016 Sunbeam Products, Inc. doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions. All rights reserved. Distributed by Sunbeam Products, Inc. doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions, Boca Raton, Florida 33431.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed, including the following:
READ AND SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
- Read all instructions before using.
- Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs.
- To protect against risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury do not immerse control panel assembly, cord or plugs in water or other liquids.
- Close supervision is necessary when Deep Fryer is used near children. Children should not use this appliance.
- Unplug from outlet when not in use, before putting on or taking off parts and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning appliance.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug, or after the appliance malfunctions or has been dropped or damaged in any manner. Contact Customer Service (see warranty) to return for examination, repair, or electrical or mechanical adjustment.
- The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the manufacturer may result in injury.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Do not let cord hang over edge of table or countertop, or touch hot
surfaces including the stove.
- Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
- Extreme caution must be used when moving fryer containing hot oil. Always use oven mitts or hot pads.
- Always attach plug to appliance first, then plug AC cord into the wall outlet. To disconnect, turn control to OFF, then remove AC cord from wall outlet.
- Do not use appliance for other than intended use.
- Periodically check the handle for looseness. If loose, retighten the screws using a Phillips screwdriver. CAUTION: Over tightening can result in stripping of screws or cracking of handle.
- Use only Model #MI-10/15 magnetic cord set with this product. The use of any other magnetic cord set may cause fire, electric shock, or injury.
- Be sure handles are properly assembled to basket and locked in place before use. See detailed assembly instructions on page 5.
- Do not use without oil.
- Do not use an extension cord.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
This appliance is for HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY.
This Deep Fryer is equipped with a unique Power Cord System, which includes a detachable magnetic cord designed to separate from the unit when certain amounts of force are applied.
A short power supply cord is provided to reduce the risk resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord.
No user-serviceable parts inside. Do not attempt to service this product.
This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to modify the plug in any way. If the plug fits loosely into the AC outlet or if the AC outlet feels warm do not use that outlet.
Congratulations on your purchase of a Oster® Deep Fryer!
Before using your Oster® Deep Fryer for the first time, remove all packaging materials from the exterior and interior of the fryer. Make sure the fryer is unplugged. Clean the frying basket, lid and oil reservoir. Dry all parts thoroughly. See the Care and Cleaning section for details.
CAUTION: DO NOT IMMERSE THE CORD OR FRYER UNIT IN WATER OR ANY OTHER LIQUID!
KNOW YOUR DEEP FRYER
PREPARING YOUR FRYER FOR USE
Prior to first use, remove all packaging materials from the exterior and interior of the fryer. Make sure the fryer is unplugged. Wash the Frying Basket and removable Oil Reservoir in hot soapy water. Gently wipe the Heating Element with a damp cloth. Dry all parts thoroughly. See the Care and Cleaning section for details.
CAUTION: Do not immerse cord, plugs or control panel assembly in water.
BASKET HANDLE ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS
- Remove Handle and Frying Basket from inside the deep fryer.
- Notice the eyelets on the interior side of the basket.
- Squeeze the handle prongs in the middle.
- Release the prongs into the eyelets on the interior side of the basket.
- Press firmly down on the handle to lock in place.
TIPS FOR DEEP FRYING
- Fill the unit with oil between the maximum and minimum capacity lines only.
- Do not over fill the basket. To achieve quality results deep frying food needs to be surrounded by oil. Too much food causes the oil temperature to drop, resulting in “soggy” food. Food should be no higher than the top of the basket.
- Be sure that all ice crystals are removed from the food and food is completely dry. Excessive water and ice can cause the oil to splatter and/ or overflow.
- Coated foods (bread crumbs, batters, etc.) are best for deep frying. The coating acts as a protective layer keeping food moist on the inside and crisp on the outside.
- For best results, defrost frozen foods for 20 minutes prior to frying.
- Fry foods at the correct temperature for best results. This will prevent burning and give you even colored, crispy food.
- Prepackaged frozen, cooked chicken, may cook faster than uncooked food.
- For even cooking, shake basket half way through cooking time.
HOW TO USE YOUR DEEP FRYER
CAUTION: Never turn on the fryer with an empty Oil Reservoir. Always use your fryer on a flat, heat resistant surface.
- Attach magnetic end of cord assembly directly to the fryer (See Figure 1). This should be done prior to plugging the cord into the wall outlet.
- The magnetic end of the cord is designed to only go on one way. Be sure the side stating “THIS SIDE UP” is facing up.
- Remove Frying Basket by pulling the Basket Handle up.
- Make sure the Oil Reservoir is seated in place. Pour cooking oil into Oil Reservoir until it reaches between “MIN” and “MAX” marks inside reservoir.
DO NOT OVER OR UNDER FILL.
- Make sure that fryer is OFF and insert plug into 120 volt AC outlet.
- Turn fryer to desired temperature position.
- Turn Timer knob to “ON” position. Power Light will turn on.
- Ready light will turn on when oil is pre-heated. Remove the lid and place Frying Basket onto basket hook inside Oil Reservoir.
- Place food inside Frying Basket (Do not over stack food). Lower Frying Basket into Oil Reservoir. CAUTION: Always replace Lid after immersing food in oil.
- Turn timer knob to desired time.
- After time is up a bell with sound and the power and power light will turn off. Remove the lid and lift Frying Basket and hang basket onto basket hook in Oil Reservoir. To remove excess grease and retain crispness, let food drain in Frying Basket at least 10–20 seconds. Then lift Frying Basket by handle and pour contents onto plate covered with paper towels before serving.
- When finished cooking, make sure fryer is in OFF position.
WARNING: DO NOT USE THE DETACHABLE MAGNETIC CORD SYSTEM TO
DISCONNECT THE FRYER. ALWAYS DISCONNECT PLUG FROM WALL OUTLET
FIRST TO DISCONNECT FRYER.
Use only Model #MI-10/15 magnetic cord set with this product. The use of any other magnetic cord set may cause fire, electric shock, or injury.
CAUTION: The detachable magnetic cord is only for accidental disconnection and not to be removed during normal operation. If the cord becomes disconnected, the user should immediately unplug the cord set from the wall outlet, then reconnect the magnetic cord to the deep fryer and then to the wall outlet.
TO REMOVE AND REPLACE LID
- Remove Lid by pulling firmly upwards. Reverse the sequence to secure Lid from the vertical position to secure back in place.
NOTE: Always remove Lid before emptying the Oil Reservoir or cleaning.
CAUTION: Ensure that Lid is in place prior to operation of unit.
FRYING TIME AND TEMPERATURE
The frying times in this chart are a guide and should be adjusted to suit the different quantities or thickness of food and to suit your own taste. Preheat time is 7–10 minutes for fryer to reach desired temperature. (Ready light will cycle On/Off during frying as temperature fluctuates due to food load.)
NOTE: Prepackaged frozen cooked chicken may cook faster than above time.
TIPS FOR OIL USE AND STORAGE
- Do not use seasoned or flavored oil such as walnut, olive oil, lard or drippings because they have a low smoke point. Use blended vegetable oil, pure corn oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil or grape seed oil (canola oil) because these oils have a high smoke point. Peanut oil is not recommended because it impacts the flavor greatly.
- Oils should never be mixed when deep frying.
- High heat, water and burnt food particles break down the oil’s smoke point.
- Replace oil if you notice:
- Excessive smoking at normal temperatures
– Strong oil discoloration
– A rancid smell
– Excessive foaming around the frying food
- Oil darkens with use because the oil and food molecules burn when subjected to high/prolonged heat. The more you use an oil, the more slowly it will pour. Its viscosity changes because of changes to the oil’s molecular structure. When smoke appears on the oils’ surface before the temperature reaches 375°F/190°C, your oil will no longer deep-fry effectively.
- When frying foods with strong flavor and/or aroma like fish or chicken, use the oil only once.
- Filtering the oil with a cooking oil filter or fine-mesh strainer can keep it fresher. Although storing oil in a refrigerator may extend the life of the oil, this should never be done. This process of chilling oil then bringing the oil to room temperature causes excessive splattering during the heat up process.
- Store the covered oil in a cool dark place, for up to three months. Check the oil before using for color, smell, or excessive foaming. Discard the oil if it shows any of these qualities.
Resetting the Overheat Protection Reset Button may be necessary if unit will not turn on at start up (power indicator light illuminated and temperature dial set to selected temperature) or if unit appears to have stopped working during use.
- Unplug the unit from the wall electrical outlet.
- Allow the unit to cool down.
- Check the oil level in your unit. If it is below the minimum level, oil should be added before resetting the unit and resuming cooking cycle.
- Remove the control box with heater.
- Using a narrow slotted screwdriver or pen, gently press the recessed reset button on the back of the control box, located on the lower right hand side as indicated by the arrow. (see Figure 2)
CARE AND CLEANING
WARNING: Always turn control to OFF then disconnect plug from wall outlet. Remove cord from appliance.
- Do not immerse cord sets in water or any liquids
- Do not attempt to defeat the detachable magnetic Cord system by trying to permanently attach cord set to product.
- Do not stick pins or other sharp objects in holes on magnetic cord set.
- Do not use any type of steel wool to clean magnetic contacts.
- Turn unit OFF.
- Unplug from outlet and allow unit to cool completely.
- Remove magnetic cord from the fryer socket.
- Remove the Lid.
- Open the Filter Cover and remove the Filters.
- Remove Frying Basket. Wash the Frying Basket with hot soapy water. Rinse and towel dry carefully.
- Carefully lift Oil Reservoir straight up out of the exterior housing by holding the rim of the bowl. Empty cooking oil and store in an air tight container. See TIPS FOR OIL USE AND STORAGE. Oil Reservoir is dishwasher safe.
WARNING: Do not remove Oil Reservoir until the unit has cooled and is unplugged.
- The Basket, Lid, Oil Reservoir and Housing are dishwasher safe. Dry all parts thoroughly after cleaning.
- The Control Panel should never be immersed in water or other liquids. Gently clean the outer surface of the Control Panel with a damp cloth containing mild soap solution or plain water.
- Ensure that both the Lid and Oil Reservoir are completely dry after washing and before use.
- Insert Oil Reservoir back into housing.
- Place Basket into Oil Reservoir.
- Put Filters back into Lid and put Cover on.
- Place lid on top.
REPLACING AND CLEANING FILTERS
- Open the Filter Cover, and remove filters.
- Grease Filters may be washed in hot soapy water. Rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry.
- Clean the inside of the cover with a damp soapy sponge. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Place clean White Grease Filter on Lid, followed by Black Charcoal Odor Filter, then replace Filter Cover.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 orange (¹⁄³ cup)
- 1 cup chopped apple
Preheat oil to 375°F/190°C. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; set aside. Combine egg, cooking oil and vanilla. Combine dry and liquid ingredients and stir to blend thoroughly. Add orange juice and apple and mix well. Add teaspoon of combined mixture to raised frying basket. Close Lid and lower basket into oil. Fry for about 2 minutes until crisp and brown. Remove basket from oil and drain. Open Lid and place on a plate covered with paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Dust with powdered sugar or a mixture of granulated sugar and cinnamon; serve at once.
BEER BATTER FOR FISH OR CHICKEN
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp. oil or butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1¹⁄³ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup flat beer
Preheat oil to 375°F/190°C. Beat egg yolks with oil/butter, salt and pepper. Alternately add the beer and flour to mixture. Beat ingredients well and refrigerate for 3–12 hours. When you are ready to use mixture, carefully fold in 2 stiffly beaten egg whites. Pat fish or boneless chicken breasts. Coat lightly with flour then dip into beer batter. Place fish or chicken in raised fryer basket. Close Lid and lower basket into oil. Fry fish for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Fry fish chicken 5–8 minutes until brown and fully cooked. Remove basket from oil and drain. Open Lid and place on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
DEEP FRIED CHICKEN
- 1 fryer chicken (2½ lbs.), cut up
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1¼ cups milk
Preheat oil to 375°F/190°C. Combine flour and seasonings. Dip chicken pieces in flour, then milk, then flour again. Place chicken in raised fryer basket. Close Lid and lower basket into oil. Fry for 20 minutes or until golden brown and done. Remove basket from oil and drain. Open lid and place on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve warm.
- 4 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1¹⁄³ tsp. salt
- 1 stick of butter or margarine
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
Preheat oil to 375°F/190°C. Place chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with wooden mallet to flatten to ¼-inch thick. Remove plastic. Combine onion, parsley and salt and sprinkle on chicken. Cut butter into 8 pieces. Place a piece of butter on seasoned chicken toward one end. Roll as jelly roll, starting at end with butter, tucking in sides of meat. Press to seal well. Secure with toothpicks. Dust with flour, dip in beaten egg, then roll in bread crumbs. Chill rolls of chicken thoroughly (at least one hour). Place rolled chicken in a single layer in raised fry basket. Close Lid and lower basket into oil. Cook 5 minutes or until brown. To test for doneness, remove a piece of chicken from the oil. When fork can be inserted with ease, chicken is done. Remove basket from oil and drain. Open lid and place on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve warm.
- Refrigerated can of biscuits
- 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
Preheat oil to 375°F/190°C. Take each biscuit and flatten slightly with palm of hand. With finger, punch holes in center of each biscuit to shape into doughnuts. Place into raised frying basket. Close Lid and lower basket into oil. Fry for 2 minutes turning once. Remove basket from oil and drain. Open Lid and place on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Dip doughnut in mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Serve warm.
1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
Sunbeam Products, Inc. doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions or if in Canada, Sunbeam Corporation (Canada) Limited doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions (collectively “JCS”) warrants that for a period of one year from the date of purchase, this product will be free from defects in material and workmanship. JCS, at its option, will repair or replace this product or any component of the product found to be defective during the warranty period. Replacement will be made with a new or remanufactured product or component. If the product is no longer available, replacement may be made with a similar product of equal or greater value. This is your exclusive warranty. Do NOT attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical functions on this product. Doing so will void this warranty.
This warranty is valid for the original retail purchaser from the date of initial retail purchase and is not transferable. Keep the original sales receipt. Proof of purchase is required to obtain warranty performance. JCS dealers, service centers, or retail stores selling JCS products do not have the right to alter, modify or any way change the terms and conditions of this warranty.
This warranty does not cover normal wear of parts or damage resulting from any of the following: negligent use or misuse of the product, use on improper voltage or current, use contrary to the operating instructions, disassembly, repair or alteration by anyone other than JCS or an authorized JCS service center. Further, the warranty does not cover: Acts of God, such as fire, flood, hurricanes and tornadoes.
What are the limits on JCS’s Liability?
JCS shall not be liable for any incidental or consequential damages caused by the breach of any express, implied or statutory warranty or condition.
Except to the extent prohibited by applicable law, any implied warranty or condition of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose is limited in duration to the duration of the above warranty.
JCS disclaims all other warranties, conditions or representations, express, implied, statutory or otherwise. JCS shall not be liable for any damages of any kind resulting from the purchase, use or misuse of, or inability to use the product including incidental, special, consequential or similar damages or loss of profits, or for any breach of contract, fundamental or otherwise, or for any claim brought against purchaser by any other party.
Some provinces, states or jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or
consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusion may not apply to you.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from province to province, state to state or jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
How to Obtain Warranty Service
In the U.S.A.
If you have any question regarding this warranty or would like to obtain warranty service, please call 1-800-334-0759 and a convenient service center address will be provided to you.
If you have any question regarding this warranty or would like to obtain warranty service, please call 1-800-667-8623 and a convenient service center address will be provided to you. In the U.S.A., this warranty is offered by Sunbeam Products, Inc doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions located in Boca Raton, Florida 33431. In Canada, this warranty is offered by Sunbeam Corporation (Canada) Limited doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions, located at 20B Hereford Street, Brampton, Ontario L6Y 0M1. If you have any other problem or claim in
connection with this product, please write our Consumer Service Department.
PLEASE DO NOT RETURN THIS PRODUCT TO ANY OF THESE ADDRESSES OR TO THE PLACE OF PURCHASE.
Read More About This Manual & Download PDF:
Questions about your Manual? Post in the comments!