Omron HJ-320 Pedometer Instruction Manual
Thank you for purchasing the OMRON® HJ-320 Pedometer.
- Staple your purchase receipt here
- Register your product online at
This Pedometer features advanced 3D Smart Sensor technology – so it knows exactly when you’re taking a step. It’s more accurate than other pedometers which use a simple pendulum design. Use this in your pocket, bag or on your hip for added convenience. The seven day memory helps you keep track of your daily activity to help you reach your fitness goals. Use this unit everyday to monitor your fitness achievements! Your Pedometer comes with the following components:
- Battery (CR2032 installed)
- Instruction Manual
Please read this instruction manual thoroughly before using the unit. Please keep for future
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
To assure the correct use of the product basic safety measures should always be followed including the warnings and cautions listed in this instruction manual.
SAFETY SYMBOLS USED IN THIS INSTRUCTION MANUAL
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided,
could result in death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided,
may result in minor or moderate injury to the user or patient or damage to the equipment or other property.
OPERATING THE DEVICE
- Contact your physician or healthcare provider before beginning a weight reduction or exercise program.
- Keep the unit out of the reach of young children. The unit contains small pieces that may be swallowed. Immediately contact your physician if any piece is swallowed.
- Please use caution when wearing the unit around your neck so as to avoid possible strangulation. Do not place the unit around the neck of children.
- If battery fluid gets in your eyes, immediately rinse with plenty of clean water. Contact a physician immediately.
- Read all information in the instruction manual and any other literature included in the box before using the unit. Operate the unit only as intended. Do not use for any other purpose.
- If battery fluid gets on your skin or clothing, immediately rinse with plenty of clean water.
- Do not insert the battery with the polarities in the wrong direction.
- Do not throw the battery into fire. The battery may explode.
- Dispose of the device, battery, and components according to applicable local regulations. Unlawful disposal may cause environmental pollution.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
- Do not disassemble or modify the unit. Changes or modifications not approved by Omron Healthcare will void the user warranty.
- Do not subject the unit to strong shocks, such as dropping the unit on the ground.
- Do not submerge the unit or any of the components in water.
KNOW YOUR UNIT
Front of unit
NOTE: Remove the protective film from the face of the display.
Back of the main unit
STRIDE LENGTH MEASUREMENT
Measure your stride length before setting the pedometer.
How to measure your stride length
1. Walk 10 steps with your normal stride as illustrated below.
2. Measure the distance from START to END in inches.
3. Calculate your stride length by dividing the total distance by 10.
Total distance = 320’’
320 ÷ 10 = 32 inches (2 feet 8 inches)
- 12 inches = 1 foot
- 24 inches = 2 feet
- 36 inches = 3 feet
- 48 inches = 4 feet
The unit comes with the battery installed. When you use the unit for the first time, follow the steps below. For setting range details refer to “SPECIFICATIONS”.
NOTE: If the initial settings are not correct, the measurement results may not be accurate.
USING THE UNIT
The unit accurately counts in a pocket, bag or anywhere you want to put it. The unit
may be placed in the upper front pocket of your clothing, in the front pocket of your
pants, in a bag, or attached to your belt or pants, or hang it from your neck.
1. Simply bring the unit with you wherever you go.
NOTE: In order to avoid counting steps that are not part of a walk, the unit does not display the step count for the first 4 seconds of walking. If you continue walking for more than 4 seconds, it displays the step count for the first 4 seconds and then continues to count.
2. Press ON Mode to read the data.
The unit may not count steps correctly in the following conditions:
1. The unit moves irregularly.
- When the unit is placed in a bag and a bag moves irregularly.
- When the unit swings from your belt, the top of your pants or a bag.
2. Walking at an inconsistent pace.
- When you shuffle or wear sandals.
- Starting and stopping or other forms of inconsistent walking.
3. Up and down movement.
- Standing up and/or sitting down movement.
- Playing sports other than walking.
- Ascending or descending movement on stairs or on a steep slope.
4. Vibrations from a moving vehicle.
- Such as riding a bicycle, automobile, train or bus.
5. Walking extremely slowly.
READING THE CURRENT DISPLAY
The unit stores 7 days of measurements for steps and distance. The current day’s data is automatically stored in memory when the time reaches 12:00AM (0:00). The display will return to 0.
NOTE: The time must be correctly set in the unit.
NOTE: If no button is pressed for more than 1 minute, the display will return to the current day’s data.
If the symbol blinks or appears on the display, replace the battery with a new (CR2032) battery. If the battery is removed, the settings and all measurement values will be deleted. Please reset the settings (refer to “SETTINGS”).
- If you want to keep any of the measurement values, make a note of them before removing the battery.
- The supplied battery is for initial use. The battery life may be shorter.
1. Loosen the screw of the battery cover on the back of the unit. Remove the
battery cover by pulling it off in the direction of the arrow.
Use the supplied screwdriver or use a small screwdriver to loosen the screw on the
2. Remove the battery with a toothpick.
NOTE: Do not use a pair of metal tweezers or any metal object such as a small screwdriver.
- Dispose of the device, battery, and components according to applicable local
regulations. Unlawful disposal may cause environmental pollution.
- Do not throw the battery into fire. The battery may explode.
3. Insert the battery (CR2032) with the positive (+) side face up.
4. Replace the battery cover by sliding the catch in first, then tighten the screw.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
To keep the unit in the best condition and protect the unit from damage follow the directions listed below:
Do not disassemble or modify the unit. Changes or modifications not approved by Omron Healthcare will void the user warranty.
Clean the unit with a soft dry cloth.
Do not use any abrasive or volatile cleaners.
- Do not immerse the unit or any of the components in water. The unit is not waterproof. Do not wash it or touch it with wet hands. Be careful that water does not get into the unit.
Store the unit in a safe and dry location.
Avoid the unit being exposed to direct sunlight, high temperatures, high humidity, water and/or dust.
- Do not subject the unit to strong shock, drop, or step on it.
- Replace a worn battery with a new one immediately.
- Remove the battery if the unit will not be used for three months or longer.
- Use of the unit must be consistent with the instructions provided in this manual.
NOTE: If a malfuncion has occurred and you need to repair your unit, all settings and measurement results are deleted. We recommend that you record measurement results.
• Specifications are subject to change without notice.
* New battery life based on OMRON testing.
POTENTIAL FOR RADIO/TELEVISION INTERFERENCE (for U.S.A. only). This product has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC rules.
These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference
in a residential installation. The product generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications.
However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If the product does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the product on and off, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the product and the receiver.
- Connect the product into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
POTENTIAL FOR RADIO/TELEVISION INTERFERENCE (for Canada only)
This digital apparatus does not exceed the Class B limits for radio noise emissions from digital apparatus as set out in the interference-causing equipment standard entitled “Digital Apparatus”, ICES-003 of the Canadian Department of Communications.
Changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
Your OMRON HJ-320 Pedometer, excluding the battery, is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship appearing within 1 year from the date of purchase, when used in accordance with the instructions provided with the unit.
The above warranties extend only to the original retail purchaser. We will, at our option, repair or replace without charge any Pedometer covered by the above warranties. Repair or replacement is our only responsibility and your only remedy under the above warranties.
To obtain warranty service contact Omron’s Customer Support at 1-800-634-4350.
Information for warranty service is available on our website at www.omronhealthcare.com.
Enclose the Proof of Purchase. Include a letter, with your name, address, phone number, and description of the specific problem. Pack the product carefully to prevent damage in transit. Because of possible loss in transit, we recommend insuring the product with return receipt requested.
THE FOREGOING IS THE SOLE WARRANTY PROVIDED BY OMRON IN CONNECTION WITH THIS PRODUCT, AND OMRON HEREBY DISCLAIMS ANY OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND OTHER TERMS THAT MAY BE IMPOSED BY LAW, IF ANY, ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE PERIOD OF THE ABOVE EXPRESS WARRANTY. OMRON SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR LOSS OF USE OR ANY OTHER SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INDIRECT COSTS, EXPENSES OR DAMAGES.
This warranty provides you with specific legal rights, and you may have other rights that vary by jurisdiction. Because of special local requirements, some of the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you.
FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE Visit our web site at: www.omronhealthcare.com Call toll free: 1-800-634-4350
OMRON HEALTHCARE, INC.
1925 West Field Court
Lake Forest, IL 60045 U.S.A.
© 2012 OMRON HEALTHCARE, INC.
Made in China
Read More About This Manual & Download PDF:
Questions about your Manual? Post in the comments!