Mapei Flexcolor CQ
MAPEI Flexcolor CQ is a professional-grade, ready-to-use specialty grout for precision commercial and residential installations with porcelain, ceramic and natural-stone tiles. MAPEI Flexcolor CQ can be used to grout interior/ exterior tile, and its dense composition helps to prevent water-based stains by providing water repellency to the grout surface. MAPEI Flexcolor CQ is formulated with the latest innovation in quartz aggregate, which ensures color consistency, ease of cleanability and improved workability. In addition, this grout can be used on sensitive tile surfaces once tested, requires no sealer and cures naturally from evaporation of the low level of water in the formulation. Comparison testing of MAPEI Flexcolor CQ versus traditional Portland-cement grout has verified that MAPEI Flexcolor CQ is 30% more cost-efficient (based on typical rates of installers) and requires 65% less time to install.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Stain- and chemical-resistant grout formulation with no sealing required
- Easy cleanability, color consistency and improved workability
- Dries to a hard, uniform color surface in 24 hours and will not stain surfaces
- Crack-resistant and shrinkage-controlled formulation, with no efflorescence
- BioBlock® technology for mold and mildew resistance
- Is used straight from the pail, without the need to add water
- Specialized pail design with flip-top hinged lid
INDUSTRY STANDARDS AND APPROVALS
- ANSI: Although ready-to-use grouts do not yet have ANSI requirements, MAPEI Flexcolor CQ meets or exceeds specific tests in ANSI A118.3 and A118.6 covering other grout types.
Living Building Challenge (LBC) Red List Free: This product has been verified per the most current Red List on the LBC’s Website.
WHERE TO USE
- For grout joints from 1/16″ to 1/2″ (1.5 to 12 mm)
- Use for grouting interior and exterior floor, walls, countertops and backsplashes.
- Use for groutable luxury vinyl tile (LVT) and luxury vinyl plank (LVP).
- Use for glass tile/mosaics as well as porcelain, ceramic and natural-stone tile (such as granite, travertine, slate, marble and polished marble), quarry, and cement-based terrazzo.
- Use for grouting intermittent wet conditions such as bathtub surrounds, shower walls and shower floors.
- Multiple uses of steam cleaners or power washers on MAPEI Flexcolor CQ is not recommended.
- Use for interior/exterior commercial and residential installations under Res 1, 2, 3 and 6 and Com 1, 2, 3 and 6 per TCNA Environmental Classifications. MAPEI Flexcolor CQ is not for installations in submerged areas or areas hotter than 125°F (52°C).
- For heavy industrial installations where fatty acids are present, such as commercial kitchens, use MAPEI’s Kerapoxy ® IEG CQ.
- Use only at temperatures between 50°F and 95°F (10°C and 35°C). Drying time will vary depending on temperature, humidity, tile porosity and grout joint depth/width.
- MAPEI Flexcolor CQ cures faster in lower humidity conditions (less than 50% is ideal).
- Do not use in water submersion installations such as pools and hot tubs.
- Concrete surfaces should be dry, fully cured and free of hydrostatic pressure and/or excessive moisture vapor transmission rates (MVERs).
- MAPEI Flexcolor CQ is not recommended for installation in steam rooms or saunas.
- Do not use in areas exposed to continuous high surface temperatures (greater than or equal to 140°F [60°C]), such as areas near fireplaces or wood stoves.
- Some types of sensitive tiles such as glass mosaic or marble can be permanently stained, scratched, dulled or damaged when grouting. Always test the grout on a separate sample area before grouting to determine the suitability of the tile with the grout color selected.
- Do not use for distressed or tumbled travertine tiles if no grout is desired in the pits of these tiles.
- Do not use with pebble-stone or river-rock tile or mosaics, irregularly shaped tile or stone, or any time the grout joint width or depth equals or exceeds 1/2″ (12 mm).
- Do not use for commercial kitchen floors or environments where “no-rinse” enzymatic cleaners will be used.
Consult MAPEI’s Technical Services Department for installation recommendations regarding substrates and conditions not listed.
- Before grouting, make sure that tiles are firmly set and the adhesive or mortar is completely dry.
- Remove all tile spacers.
- Grout joints must be clean and free of standing water, dust, dirt and foreign matter.
- Remove excess adhesive or mortar from the joint area so that 2/3 of the tile depth is left available for grouting.
- Clean the tile surface thoroughly to remove dust, dirt and other contaminants that may cause grout discoloration.
- See MAPEI’s “Surface preparation requirements” reference guide in the Related Documents section of the Tile & Stone Installation Systems page on MAPEI’s Website.
Before product use, take appropriate safety precautions. Refer to the Safety Data Sheet for details.
- No mixing is required.
Read all installation instructions thoroughly before installation. Using consistent application procedures will produce consistent results.
- To aid in spreading the grout, slightly moisten the tile surface with a damp, rounded grout sponge just before application. For vertical/wall applications, do not pre-wet the tile but ensure that it is clean before grouting.
- Force the grout into the joints with a medium- to hardrubber float held at a 45-degree angle to the tile surface. Float or spread the grout in an area within arm’s reach, typically 10 to 15 sq. ft. (0.93 to 1.39 m2), using a “clean as you go” approach to spreading and washing the grout.
- Make sure all joints are well-compacted and are free of voids and gaps.
- Remove excess grout from the tile surface, holding the float at an almost 90-degree angle to the surface and moving the float diagonally to the joints while the grout is still fresh.
- The grout surface should be flush with the tile edge.
- Cleaning should begin after the surface develops a dry, skinned-over appearance – within 5 to 10 minutes, depending upon the temperature, humidity and absorption rate of the tile. Use a “clean as you go” approach to spreading and washing this grout, to ensure that cleaning begins before the grout skins over and dries on the tile surface. Grout small areas of between 30 to 40 sq. ft. (2.79 to 3.72 m2) at a time, so that cleaning can begin before the grout skins over and dries on the tile surface.
- Move a damp grout sponge or white scrubpad across the tile surface in a circular motion to loosen grout and to shape the joints. Drag a clean and damp sponge diagonally across the tile joints, applying slight pressure. Use one side of the sponge for each pass over the tile, rinsing the sponge after the second pass.
Note: Under certain conditions, a milky film can appear on the grout surface. This film will dissipate in 20 to 30 minutes after the washing step is completed.
- Change the water bucket frequently to prevent the development of a haze on the tile surface.
- If residue is observed on the tile surface, a final wash can be performed (if needed) about 1 hour after the initial wash. If needed in the cleaning process, add 1 U.S. oz. (30 mL) of a clear dish washing soap to a pail containing 3 U.S. gals. (11.4 L) of clean water; then use a clean, white, moistened scrubpad to loosen any remaining grout residue and a moistened sponge to remove the residue.
- If joints are not fully flush, MAPEI Flexcolor CQ can be re-applied after 24 hours of drying by repeating steps 1 through 4. The product will bond to itself.
- Clean tools and the surface with fresh water while the product is wet.
* Coverage shown is for estimating purposes only. Actual jobsite coverage may vary according to actual tile size and thickness, exact joint width, job conditions and grouting methods. Consult MAPEI’s Technical Services Department or use the grout calculator at www.mapei.com to
determine the amount of product needed for project criteria not shown.
PROTECTION AND MAINTENANCE
- Light foot traffic is acceptable 24 hours after grouting.
- To develop stain resistance and for a full cure, allow 3 days before water exposure.
- Protect the product from freezing. However, if product does freeze, allow the product to return to room temperature before use. MAPEI Flexcolor CQ was tested in the cured state and passed 25 cycles of freeze/thaw testing at 0°F (-18°C) for 16 hours and 8 hours at 74°F (23°C) per cycle.
- If haze residue or “picture framing” is experienced after installation, use MAPEI’s UltraCare™ Epoxy Grout Haze Remover or UltraCare Heavy-Duty Stone, Tile & Grout Cleaner.
- Although sealing is not required, MAPEI’s UltraCare products can be used for care and maintenance of the grout surface. MAPEI’s UltraCare water-based products are fully compatible with MAPEI Flexcolor CQ.
Reference Guide: “Surface preparation requirements” for tile and stone installation system
Refer to the SDS for specific data related to health and safety as well as product handling.
For information on MAPEI’s commitment to sustainability and transparency, as well as how MAPEI meets the health and well-being requirements of product certification programs, contact the MAPEI Sustainability Team at 1-800-992-6273.
The contents of this Technical Data Sheet (“TDS”) may be copied into another project-related document, but the resulting document shall not supplement or replace requirements per the TDS in effect at the time of the MAPEI product installation. For the most up-to-date TDS and warranty information, please visit our website at www.mapei.com. ANY ALTERATIONS TO THE WORDING OR REQUIREMENTS CONTAINED IN OR DERIVED FROM THIS TDS SHALL VOID ALL RELATED MAPEI WARRANTIES. Before using, the user must determine the suitability of our products for the intended use, and the user alone assumes all risks and liability. ANY CLAIM SHALL BE DEEMED WAIVED UNLESS MADE IN WRITING TO US WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) DAYS FROM DATE IT WAS, OR REASONABLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN, DISCOVERED.
We proudly support the following industry organizations
MAPEI Headquarters of North America
1144 East Newport Center Drive
Deerfield Beach, Florida 33442
1-888-US-MAPEI (1-888-876-2734) /
1-800-992-6273 (U.S. and Puerto Rico)
Services in Mexico
Edition Date: May 20, 2019
MK 3000066 (19-1806)
For the most current BEST-BACKEDSM product data and warranty information, visit www.mapei.com. All Rights Reserved. © 2019 MAPEI Corporation.
Read More About This Manual & Download PDF:
Questions about your Manual? Post in the comments!