Plug-In Dimmer with Wi-Fi® Technology
Cat. No. DW3HL
Rated: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
Control lights from anywhere using the My Leviton App
© 2017 Leviton Mfg. Co., Inc.
WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS
- To be installed and/or used in accordance with electrical codes and regulations.
- If you are unsure about any part of these instructions, consult an electrician.
- To reduce the risk of overheating and possible damage to other equipment do not install to control a motor-operated receptacle, fluorescent lighting fixture, or a transformer supplied receptacle.
- For control of dimmable CFL’s and LED lamps
- Unplug unit when servicing connected lighting fixtures.
- Leviton Wi-Fi® enabled devices rely on Wi-Fi® communication. Increasing the number of Wi-Fi® devices can affect Wi-Fi® performance. Consult the network’s wireless access point specifications to determine the maximum number of supported Wi-Fi® devices. For installations with a large number of Leviton Wi-Fi® devices, a high performance wireless access point capable of supporting a large number of devices may be required.
- Save this instruction sheet. It contains important technical data along with testing and troubleshooting information which will be useful after installation is complete.
Leviton’s Decora SmartTM Wi-Fi® devices are designed to streamline home control using the cloud, apps and connectivity with key industry partners. The my.Leviton.com cloud service provides an easy, secure way to control devices from an iOS or Android app, as well as any web browser. After installing your Decora SmartTM device, configure it from the My Leviton app with just a few simple steps. You can create custom scenes to control your home settings. Through the my.Leviton.com site you can integrate with exciting and constantly expanding group of third party partners to create a complete home automation system.
Decora SmartTM devices are ideal for living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, dining rooms, home offices, outdoor lighting or anywhere full control of lighting is desired.
WARNING: TO AVOID FIRE, PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH DO NOT USE the remote for the control of high power heating appliances such as portable heaters. There can be some unexpected consequences if not used with care. For example, an empty coffee pot can be remotely turned on. If that should happen, your coffee pot could be damaged from overheating. If an electric heater is turned on by remote control while clothing is draped over it, a fire could result. This module will not control lighting that is used with electronic low-voltage and high frequency power supply transformers, nor high pressure discharge lamps (HID lighting). This includes mercury-vapor, sodium vapor and metal halide lamps.
|Incandescent||300W – 120VAC, 60Hz|
|LED/CFL||100W – 120VAC, 60Hz|
- The Decora SmartTM Wi-Fi® Plug-in Dimmer provides app control and scheduling without the need of an automation hub
- Compatible with my.Leviton.com cloud service for device control from a mobile device inside or away from the home
- Over The Air (OTA) firmware updates via the My Leviton App
- Ease of installation – No new wiring
- Wi-Fi® Network
- Free My Leviton App
NOTE: Use check boxes when Steps are completed
Step 1 Attaching Load to Plug-In Dimmer Module:
- Attach load plug into Plug-in Dimmer Module receptacle noting proper polarity of blades. Ensure the load to be controlled is fully operational and in the on position.
Step 2 Attaching Plug-In Dimmer Module to Wall Receptacle:
- Plug the Plug-in Dimmer Module into wall receptacle.
- Verify that receptacle is live.
- If controlled by a wall switch, the switch must be kept ON at all times.
- The Plug-in Dimmer module can manually control the load.
- With the load ON, tap the control button to turn the load OFF.
- With the load OFF, tap the control button to turn the load ON.
Leviton Wi-Fi® devices use the my.Leviton.com cloud service to provide connectivity from your mobile device when you are home or away. If this is your first Leviton Wi-Fi® device, use the My Leviton app or browse to my.Leviton.com and setup a free account.
DECORA SMART™ Wi-Fi® SETUP
Leviton Wi-Fi® devices are compatible with the My Leviton App and my.Leviton.com cloud service. The app is used to pair your device with your Wi-Fi® network, customize your device configuration and provide communication via my.Leviton. com. To control the Leviton Wi-Fi® device it will need to be added to a Wi-Fi® network with Internet access:
- Download the My Leviton App.
- Ensure the Leviton accessory is properly wired and power is applied.
- Upon initial power-up the Locator LED will flash green to show the accessory is ready to be configured.
- If the Locator LED is no longer flashing green when you are ready to add the accessory, press and hold the paddle for 7 seconds until the Locator LED turns amber and release.
- Within the app follow the on screen instructions or press + to add the device to the Wi-Fi® network and my.Leviton.com account.
- Leviton Wi-Fi® devices support Wi-Fi® 802.11 a/b/g/n networks @ 2.4GHz and 5GHz with WPA or WPA2 security.
CHANGING NETWORK CONFIGURATION
In situations where a wireless access point or password is changed but the configuration of the dimmer needs to remain, use the following changing network procedure:
- Press and hold the control button for 7 seconds until the Locator LED turns amber and release.
- The locator LED will flash green.
- Open the My Leviton App.
- Navigate to the device.
- On the device page select Details.
- Within the Details section choose Reconfigure Wireless and follow the app instructions.
In situations where a dimmer needs to be returned to factory default follow the following steps:
- Hold the control button for a total of 14 seconds.
- After the first 7 seconds the LED turns amber.
- Continue to hold the control button until the Locator LED quickly flashes red/amber.
- Release the control button and the dimmer will reset.
DECORA SMART™ FEATURES
Decora SmartTM products contain unique features which can be configured via the My Leviton App.
Load Type Setup:
Leviton Decora SmartTM Plug-in Dimmers are compatible with different types of loads. Choosing the correct load type will increase compatibility and provide proper operation.
- Incandescent Loads (Default)
- LED Loads
- CFL Loads
Locator LED Setup:
Leviton Decora SmartTM Plug-in Dimmers have a locator LED built into the control button. The LED can be used to locate the dimmer in the dark, indicate the current load status or can be turned OFF at all times.
- Status mode: Uses the LED to reflect the current state of the light. If the light is currently ON, the LED is ON, if the light is currently OFF, the LED is OFF.
- Locator mode (default): Uses the LED to help find the dimmer in a dark room. If the light is currently OFF, the LED is ON, if the light is currently ON, the LED is OFF.
- LED OFF: Places the LED is a permanently OFF state.
Adjusting the ON or OFF time will affect the speed that the lighting load will transition. Both ON and OFF times can be configured separately.
The dimmer can be set to allow a minimum or maximum lighting level. When using LED bulbs it is recommended to adjust the minimum light level to the lowest level possible when the load is illuminated without flicker.
Preset Light Level
The preset light level feature addresses how the dimmer behaves when turned ON. Default is memory dim, a feature that returns the dimmer to the last dim level. Alternatively, preset dim can be set which will place the dimmer to a level predefined by the app regardless of the last known state. In both modes the dim/bright bar can be used to select a dim level before turning the load ON.
If the Plug-In Dimmer Module appears to be functioning improperly, proceed with the following steps:
- Confirm that the module is being supplied from a 120V, 60Hz AC source ONLY.
- Confirm that the Load being controlled is in proper working order (local switch is ON) and check for burned-out bulbs.
- Confirm that the load being controlled does not exceed the 300W module limit.
- Confirm that the unit is programmed properly.
For additional information, contact Leviton’s Techline at 1-800-824-3005 or visit Leviton’s website at www.leviton.com
This product is covered by U.S. Patent No. 8,664,886 and corresponding foreign patents.
FCC COMPLIANCE STATEMENT
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device. This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B Digital Device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment OFF and ON, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving Antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and the receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/tv technician for help.
Any changes or modifications not expressly approved by Leviton Manufacturing Co., Inc., could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment
IC COMPLIANCE STATEMENT
This device complies with Industry Canada licence-exempt RSS standard(s). Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
Copyright and Trademark Information
Decora is a registered trademark of of Leviton Manufacturing Co., Inc. Use herein of other third party trademarks, service marks, trade names, brand names and/or product names are for informational purposes only, are/may be the trademarks of their respective owners; such use is not meant to imply affiliation, sponsorship, or endorsement. No part of this document may be reproduced, transmitted or transcribed without the express written permission of Leviton Manufacturing Co., Inc.
FOR CANADA ONLY
For warranty information and/or product returns, residents of Canada should contact Leviton in writing at Leviton Manufacturing of Canada Ltd to the attention of the Quality Assurance Department, 165 Hymus Blvd, Pointe-Claire (Quebec), Canada H9R 1E9 or by telephone at 1-800-405-5320.
LEVITON Plug-In Dimmer with Wi-Fi Technology Installation Instructions Manual – Download