KLEIN TOOLS KTB500 Portable Power Station
The Klein Tools KTB500 is a portable power station with the ability to supply 500W of pure sine wave AC power via the two on-board AC outlets. Additionally, the power station is able to support USB quick charging via two on-board USB-C ports (one of which is Power Delivery (PD) capable), two USB-A ports, and a 12V car port. Use the supplied AC adapter to charge the KTB500. Overall storage capacity is 505Wh of energy.
- Capacity: 505Wh (46.8Ah / 10.8V)
- Cell Type: 18650
- Cell Chemistry: Li-Ion
- 8mm Input: 13-30V, 3.5A, 105W maximum
- AC Output: 120V each outlet, 500W shared / 1000W peak
- DC Output: 120W (12V/10A)
- USB Output (total output 90W): USB-A: 2 x 12W (5V/2.4A), USB-C: 1 x 15W (5V/3A), USB-C PD: 1 x 60W (5V-20V/3A)
- Operating / Storage Maximum Altitude: 6562 ft. (2000m)
- Operating / Storage Maximum Humidity: <75% non-condensing
- Operating Temp: 14° to 104°F (-10° to 40°C)
- Charging Temp: 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)
- Storage Temp: -4° to 113°F (-20° to 45°C)
- Dimensions: 11.8″ × 7.5″ × 7.3″ (30.0 × 19.1 × 18.5 cm)
- Weight: 13.9 lbs (6.3 kg)
- Life Expectancy: 500 cycles to 80% capacity typical (depending on use and care)
- Standards: FCC, UN38.3, DOE/CEC, NRCAN
- Charging Time (Supplied AC Adapter): Full charge 8 to 10 hours
- Charging Time (105W Input Max): Full charge 7 hours
- Charge Time (Supplied Car Charger Adapter): Full charge 12 hours
- Storage: Charge every 3 months (fully charge before storage)
- Transportation: This lithium-ion battery is regulated as a hazardous material (dangerous goods) by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and other transport authorities and has been tested in accordance with the UN38.3 lithium battery testing requirements. The Watt-hour rating is 505 Wh. If shipped international by air, the battery must be packaged and transported in accordance with the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations. Packing Instruction 965, Section IA. All package labeling requirements must be met and relevant shipping documents must be completed. Shipments by vessel (ocean) and motor vehicle must comply with the applicable dangerous goods regulations for those modes of transport. Keep ALL original packaging and shipping materials for future use. Call customer service for replacement packaging if original packaging is lost or damaged. Specifications subject to change.
To ensure safe operation and service of the power station, follow these instructions. Failure to observe these warnings can result in severe injury or death.
- Do NOT use portable battery in excess of its output rating. Overload outputs above rating may result in a risk of fire or injury to persons.
- Use of a power supply, charger, or cable not recommended or sold by portable battery manufacturer may result in a risk of fire or injury to persons.
- Do NOT use portable battery or AC wall charger if it is damaged or has been modified. Damaged or modified batteries may exhibit unpredictable behavior resulting in fire, explosion, or risk of injury.
- Do NOT subject to vibration, impacts, or drops. Secure the unit during transport. The housing may not show signs of damage, but internal components may have been compromised. It is advisable to replace the unit if any such severe events occur.
- Do NOT expose portable battery to moisture, rain, or snow.
- Keep away from high voltage electrical fields.
- Do NOT attempt to repair portable battery or AC wall charger. There are no user-serviceable components inside.
- Risk of fire and burns, do not open, crush, heat above 140°F (60°C) or incinerate. Follow all instructions.
- NOT intended for use with plug types or adapters not listed on the product label.
- Do NOT handle unit with wet hands.
- Do NOT place the unit on its side or upside down while in use or in storage.
- If rust, odor, overheating, or other abnormal circumstance are observed, stop using and contact Klein Tools customer service.
FCC & IC COMPLIANCE
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
NOTE: The grantee is not responsible for any changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance. Such modifications could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
IC NOTICE TO CANADIAN USERS
This device complies with industry Canada license-exempt RSS standard(s). Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
This device complies with RSS-247 of Industry Canada. Operation is subject to the condition that this device does not cause harmful interference. This Class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003.
- USB Output ON/OFF Button
- Car Port Output On/Off Button
- Car Port Output (12V/10A)
- AC Charging Input (8mm)
- USB-A Ports (5V / 2.4A)
- USB-C Ports (5V/3A to 60W PD)
- UNITS Button
- LCD Screen
- DISPLAY Button
- INFO Button
- AC Outlets (120V / 500W)
- Air Intake Vent w/ Fan
- AC Outlet ON/OFF Button
- AC Wall Charger
- Air Exhaust Vent
- Klein Tools Accessory Mount
SYMBOLS ON BATTERY
|Warning or Caution|
|Risk of Electrical Shock|
|Conforms with BCS regulations of California Energy Commission|
A. Hot / Cold Indicator
C. Battery Malfunction Indicator
D. Input Stats
E. Battery Level Indicator
F. Low Input Voltage Indicator
G. Time Until Full / Empty
H. Output Stats
I. Overload Condition Indicator
SYMBOLS ON LCD
|Low Source Voltage. This will result in very limited charge, or none at all. Recommended to only use supplied wall charger.|
|See OVERLOAD CONDITION in OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS section of this manual|
|The battery temperature is higher than rated operating temperature, the unit may not function, or provide limited output capability during this time. See GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS for operating temperature|
|The battery temperature is less than rated operating temperature, the unit may not function, or provide limited output capability during this time. See GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS for operating temperature|
|Fan: The fan icon illuminates when the fan is operating. This occurs during high load situations for increased cooling. The fan icon may flash during overload conditions.|
|Battery Malfunction: The battery malfunction icon with flash when the power station is no longer able to charge beyond 40% of its original capacity. If the icon remains illuminated without flashing, the KTB500 has had an unrecoverable failure.|
|DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SERVICE
Contact Klein Tools Customer Service Directly.
SYMBOLS ON WALL CHARGER
|Warning or Caution|
|Risk of Electrical Shock|
|Indoor Use Only|
|This product meets applicable UL standards|
|This product meets applicable NOM standards|
|WEEE – Electronic Equipment Disposal|
INPUT AND OUTPUT DISPLAY DETAILS
KTB500 display is intended to provide real-time input and output performance data on all ports combined, individually, and if specific output protocols are being utilized.
Press to obtain input and output parameters in Watts (W), Watt-hour (Wh), Volts (V), and Current (A), as applicable. Press the button and the unit icon on the screen will change with updated performance results.
Press to cycle input and output from all ports, or individual ports (as applicable).
Press the DISPLAY button to illuminate the LCD for 60 seconds. Press and hold the DISPLAY button longer than 3 seconds, to keep LCD illuminated indefinitely. The display will flash on/off to alert the user that it will remain on, pressing the DISPLAY button will turn the display off.
DETAILS DISPLAYED ON LCD
BATTERY LEVEL Ⓔ : The battery level is provided by percentage of battery charge corresponding to the number of bars and percentage displayed. The bars in the battery level correspond to the current state of charge, 0-20%, 21-40%, 41-60%, 61-80%, and all five are lit when charge level is above 81%.
IME UNTIL EMPTY/FULL Ⓖ : Provides the user live telemetry data on time to completely charge, or deplete the battery based upon the energy entering or leaving the battery. Please be aware that this value can adjust multiple times as the energy draw changes from the connected devices. This is evident during initial activation of ports with a connected device.
INPUT Ⓓ : The KTB500 is capable of providing input energy in watts, watt-hr, or amps.
OUTPUT Ⓗ : The display will provide output characteristics of all ports, including 12V car port, AC ports, and USB ports. The details on this function are provided below in the OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS section. The output wattage displayed by the power station will be accurate to within 10%.
COOLING FAN Ⓑ : KTB500 utilizes an internal cooling fan to ensure the product is operating within the appropriate temperature range. The unit, when it experiences a higher output load, will automatically turn on the fan. During discharge, and possibly charging, the fan may operate intermittently to keep internal temperature within operating range. The fan will likely start when the AC circuit is activated to ensure proper operation.
Only charge unit with provided AC wall charger, Klein Cat. No. 29201, 12V car port charger, Klein Cat. No. 29209, or APP® to 8mm adapter, Klein Cat. No. 29205 (105W max input).
Charge unit indoors.
Connect the provided AC Wall Charger ⑮ to the AC Charger input ⑤ , and allow KTB500 to fully charge prior to use, approx. 9 hours. The LCD display will provide charge level Ⓔ , along with time until full Ⓖ . The unit is fully charged when the level is 100. It is recommended to fully charge KTB500 every 3 months to maintain the health of the battery pack. POWERING /
CHARGING DEVICES WITH KTB500
Select the type of outlet required by pressing the USB Output ON/OFF Button ② or the AC Outlet ON/OFF Button ⑭ . The outlet port will NOT function until the appropriate button is pressed to activate the port. When activated, the indicator on the button will illuminate green, indicating that the output(s) are active, and the LCD display will turn on and provide details on the charging output. Press the ON/OFF button(s) to shut down the output(s) when not in use. The LCD will automatically shut down when no outputs are activated. KTB500 will enter sleep mode after 90 seconds of inactivity (no output load detected) and will “wake up” when inputting a charging cord or when any button is pressed.
The advanced battery management system of the KTB500 allows it to charge a connected device while the wall charger unit is plugged into the KTB500. The KTB500 is capable of supporting more output than can be provided by the wall charger input. Therefore, the KTB500 may still be depleting battery capacity depending upon the load required by the connected device being charged.
If the LCD displays the overload condition symbol (“OL“); do the following:
- Turn off USB ports ② and AC outlets ⑭ . The green indicator light will no longer be illuminated when the ports / outlets are turned off.
- Disconnect all devices, including the KTB500’s charging cord.
- Verify the maximum power requirements for all devices, and confirm that the device power requirements do not exceed KTB500’s capacity (see GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS).
- Reconnect only necessary devices.
- Turn on USB ports and/or AC outlets and resume operation.
If an overload condition occurs on the input port, the portable battery will automatically shut off the input port. The port will be reactivated when the input source meets the specification outlined in the GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS section. Only charge the unit with provided AC wall charger.
KLEIN TOOLS ACCESSORY MOUNT ⑰
To attach a Klein Tools accessory to KTB500, such as the AEPJS1 Wireless Jobsite Speaker, or 55437 Tradesman ProTM Worklight, align the tabs on the accessory’s mounting flange with the slots on KTB500’s Accessory Mount, then insert and rotate clockwise to lock into place. To remove the accessory, rotate counterclockwise and pull out.
KTB500 WILL NOT CHARGE OR OPERATE CONNECTED DEVICES:
- Ensure that the output ports ④ , ⑥ , ⑦ , and/or ⑫ are activated by pressing the button ② , ③ and/or ⑭ for the port(s) in use.
- Confirm the connected device is suitable for the KTB500 by reviewing the output specifications provided in the GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS section.
- Confirm the battery is charged by reviewing the charge level Ⓔ . This may need to be displayed by pressing the INFO ⑪ .
- Verify whether a warning icon Ⓐ , Ⓑ , Ⓒ , Ⓕ is displayed on the LCD ⑨ .
KTB500 WILL NOT CHARGE:
- Verify that the AC Charger Input ⑤ is illuminated. If not, the AC charger being used may not be providing an output.
- Confirm that the charger’s cord is inserted fully into the AC Charger Input.
- Confirm that the AC Wall Charger ⑮ is the charger provided with KTB500.
- If the input does not comply with the requirements located in the GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS section, the Low Input Voltage icon Ⓕ may be displayed on LCD screen.
NOTE: The LCD display ⑨ will provide additional fault codes that can be reviewed in the FEATURE DETAILS section.
Be sure that KTB500 is disconnected from all input power sources and output devices. Use a clean, dry, soft-lint-free cloth to wipe down the unit. Remove any debris, dirt, or other blockages on both side vents. When cleaning debris from the side vents, do not allow the debris, dirt, or other blockages to enter the body of KTB500.
Do not use abrasive cleaners or solvents.
Do not use compressed air to clean side cooling vents, as this will force foreign particles into the internal circuitry.
To avoid the risk of electrical shock, DO NOT use metal objects to clean ports.
Recharge as needed. There are no pre-designated intervals at which to recharge as long as the KTB500 is being used regularly. Avoid discharging completed on a regular basis, as this can impact overall life.
Regularly inspect all ports and wall charger for any debris, dirt, damage, and corrosion. DO NOT attempt to fix.
Regularly observe if the side vents are collecting dirt or dust, and clean following cleaning procedures noted in manual
If storing for more than 1 month, charge completely before storage and recharge approximately every 3 months to avoid full discharge and possible damage.
Store indoors, in cool temperatures, mild humidity, and away from direct sunlight (See GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS section). Leaving in a vehicle or other confined spaces in extreme hot temperatures can lead to decreased service life, overheating, and fire. Extreme cold conditions below specific storage range can also harm performance and service life.
Keep away from corrosion chemicals and gases.
After taking out of storage, visually inspect to make sure KTB500 and all accessories look satisfactory. Inspect the intake and exhaust side vents to ensure they are clear of debris. Allow unit to return to ambient conditions before recharging or charging other devices.
DISPOSAL / RECYCLE
Do not place equipment and its accessories in the trash or in curbside recycle bin. Items must be properly recycled in accordance with local regulations. See www.epa.gov/recycle for additional information.
*APP is a registered trademark of Anderson Power Products, Inc.
Documents / Resources
|KLEIN TOOLS KTB500 Portable Power Station [pdf] Instruction Manual|
KTB500, Portable Power Station