JBL L52 Classic Iconic 2-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
- Read these instructions.
- Keep these instructions.
- Heed all warnings.
- Follow all instructions.
- Clean only with a dry cloth.
- Do not block any ventilation openings. Install this apparatus in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do not install this apparatus near any heat sources such as radiators, heat registers, stoves or other apparatus (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
- Use only attachments/accessories specified by the manufacturer.
- Use only with the cart, stand, tripod, bracket or table specified by the manufacturer or sold with the apparatus. When a cart is used, use caution when moving the cart/apparatus combination to avoid injury from tip-over.
- Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. Servicing is required when the apparatus has been damaged in any way, such as when the power-supply cord or plug is damaged, liquid has been spilled or objects have fallen into the apparatus, or the apparatus has been exposed to rain or moisture, does not operate normally or has been dropped.
Correct disposal of this product (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment)
This symbol means the product must not be discarded as household waste, and should be delivered to an appropriate collection facility for recycling. Proper disposal and recycling helps protect natural resources, human health and the environment. For more information on disposal and recycling of this product, contact your local municipality, disposal service, or the shop where you bought this product.
This product is RoHS compliant.This product is in compliance with Directive 2011/65/EU, and its amendments, on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment.
REACH (Regulation No 1907/2006) addresses the production and use of chemical substances and their potential impacts on human health and the environment. Article 33(1) of REACH Regulation requires suppliers to inform the recipients if an article contains more than 0.1 % (per weight per article) of any substance(s) on the Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC) Candidate List (‘REACH candidate list’). This product contains the substance “lead”(CAS-No. 7439-92-1) in a concentration of more than 0.1% per weight.At the time of release of this product, except for the lead substance, no other substances of REACH candidate list are contained in a concentration of more than 0.1% per weight in this product.
On June 27, 2018, lead was added to the REACH candidate list. The inclusion of lead in the REACH candidate list does not mean that lead-containing materials pose an immediate risk or results in a restriction of permissibility of its use.
Thank you for purchasing the JBL® L52 Classic 2-Way Loudspeaker.For more than 70 years, JBL has been providing audio equipment for concert halls, recording studios and movie theaters around the world and has become the trusted choice of leading recording artists and sound engineers. Designed and engineered in JBL’s world-famous acoustic engineering facility in Northridge, California, the L52 Classic is a 5.25-inch (130mm) 2-way loudspeaker featuring JBL’s advanced acoustic technologies in combination with the award-winning retro-inspired style of its larger family members. The vintage design of the L52 Classic features a choice of Quadrex foam grilles. Beneath this iconic exterior is a loudspeaker built from modern acoustic components, delivering legendary JBL sound sure to please any music lover.
- 2x L52 Classic loudspeaker
- 2x Quadrex foam grille
- 1x L52 Classic Quick Start Guide
PLACEMENT AND POSITIONING
Before deciding where to place your speakers, survey your room and think about placement, using the illustration below as a guide.
- Avoid placing the speakers near power amplifiers, heat registers or other objects that generate large amounts of heat.
- Do not place the speakers in very humid or dusty places.
- Do not place the speakers in direct sunlight or where they will be exposed to other intense light.
- For best results, place the speakers 6–8 feet (1.8-2.4m) apart. If you set the speakers farther apart than this, angle them toward the listening position.
- The speakers will produce the most accurate stereo soundstage when the angle between the listener and the speakers is between 40 and 60 degrees.
- Generally, bass output will increase as the speaker is moved closer to a wall or corner. For best performance, we recommend that you place the speakers at least 20 inches (50cm) away from the sidewalls.
- The speaker will yield the best stereo imaging when oriented vertically.
- The L52 Classic may be stand-mounted on any 24″ to 36″ stand strong enough to stably support 11 lb. (5.0 kg) and angle the tweeter toward the listening height. The L52 Classic should only be attached with screws using the threaded insert pattern on the rear of the enclosure.
- We recommend that you position each speaker so that its tweeter points approximately to the listening position ear level.
Make sure that all of the system’s electrical components are turned OFF (and preferably unplugged from their ac outlets) before making any connections. Speakers and amplifiers have corresponding positive and negative (“+” and “–”)connection terminals. The L52 Classic has color-coded connection terminals. The “+”terminal is red, while the “–” terminal is black. See the illustration on the right.The L52 Classic is designed so that a positive voltage at the “+” (red) terminal willcause the speaker drivers to move outward (toward the room).We recommend using a high-quality speaker cable with polarity coding. The side of thewire with a ridge or other coding is usually considered positive polarity (“+”).
To ensure proper polarity, connect each “+” terminal on the back of the amplifier or receiver to the respective “+” (red) terminal on each speaker. Connect the “–” (black) terminals in a similar way. See your receiver or amplifier’s owner’s manual to confirm its connection procedures.
BASIC SINGLE-WIRE CONNECTION
Connect the amplifier to each speaker as shown in the illustration on the right.
Do not reverse polarities (i.e., “+” to “–” or “–” to “+”) when making connections. Doing so will cause poor stereo imaging and diminished bass performance. The L52 Classic’s gold-plated speaker terminals can accept a variety of wire connector types: bare wire, spade connectors, pin connectors and banana connectors.
USING BARE WIRE OR PIN CONNECTORS:
Make sure that the (+) and (–) wires or pins do not touch each other or the other terminal. Touching cables can cause a short circuit that can damage your receiver or amplifier.
USING SPADE CONNECTORS:
Make sure the (+) and (–) spade connector blades do not touch each other or the other terminal. Touching blades can cause a short circuit that can damage your receiver or amplifier.
The L52 Classic has a front-panel adjustment that lets you balance the level of the tweeter (HF) relative to the woofer.You can use this control to adjust the tweeter balance to the woofer, to change the speaker’s sound. The “0dB” default position is a good place to start. Whatever sounds best to you in your room is the right setting.As with most speakers, after you start playing the L52 Classic it will take the drivers’ suspensions several weeks to “break in” and achieve optimum performance. During this period, this tweeter balance may change, so we recommend that you adjust the tweeter control again after the break-in period.
There is a protective plastic film on the front control panel label that may be removed.
CARING FOR YOUR SPEAKERS
- Wipe the cabinet with a clean, dry cloth to remove dust. Damp cloths or cleaning paper may dull the cabinet’s finish.
- Do not use volatile liquids such as benzene, paint thinner, alcohol, etc., on the cabinet. Do not spray insecticide near the cabinet.
- To remove dust from the foam grille, use a vacuum cleaner set to low suction.
- Do not wash the grille in water.
- If the surfaces of the woofer and midrange cones become dusty, you can carefully sweep them clean with a soft, dry calligraphy brush or paintbrush. Do not use a damp cloth.
- NEVER touch anything to the tweeter dome.
Documents / Resources
|JBL L52 Classic Iconic 2-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker [pdf] Owner's Manual|
L52 Classic, Iconic 2-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker