Universal 65 W
Note: the tips shown in this manual are for illustrative purposes only and may not reflect the actual product.
Before using your new product, please read these instructions to prevent any damage.
Thank you for purchasing an Insignia Laptop Charger. This charger plugs into any AC power outlet and provides a reliable power source to run your laptop computer and charge its internal battery. Insignia chargers are made using the highest quality components and feature all of the necessary voltage and heat protection circuits to ensure maximum levels of safety and efficiency.
Note: A physical adapter plug may be necessary to plug into some AC power outlets outside of the United States, but no voltage converter is needed anywhere in the world.
This charger comes with a variety of numbered tips that connect to the output cable of the charger and control the output voltage. To make sure that the proper voltage is delivered to your laptop, you must always make sure that you are using the correct tip for your specific laptop model. Read the following instructions and go to the Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder to make sure you select the correct tip for your laptop.
CAUTION: This charger is not compatible with Mac computers or laptops requiring more than 65 watts of power.
- Do not expose the charger to rain, moisture, or excessive dust. It may cause shock hazards.
- Do not operate the charger in direct sunlight.
- Operate the charger in a well-ventilated area. Maximum ambient temperature around the charger must not exceed 93.2° Fahrenheit (35° Celsius).
- Do not open the charger under any circumstances. The charger is not intended to be repaired in case of failure or component defect. There are no internal serviceable parts.
- Discontinue use and contact our toll-free helpline for assistance (877) 467-4289 if any of the following should occur:
- The charger shuts down when it is plugged into the device.
- A cord or plug is damaged or frayed.
- Do not use laptops that require more than 65 watts of power.
- Make sure to use the correct tip for your laptop by going to the Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder for a complete listing of compatible models. Do not use a tip that is not listed for your laptop.
- Keep away from children.
- The socket-outlet shall be installed near the adapter and shall be easily accessible.
- The adapter may become warm or hot while in use. Do not cover the adapter and keep it away from your body while it is connected to a power source.
- Provides up to 65 watts of power
- Includes over-voltage, over-temperature, and short circuit protection
- Powers laptops using a standard AC wall outlet
- Can be used anywhere in the world – no voltage converter needed (an adapter plug may be necessary)
- Universal 65 Watt laptop charger
- Assorted tips
- Tip compatibility guide
- User Guide
Using the laptop charger
- Locate your laptop manufacturer and model using the Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder.
- Identify the correct tip number for your laptop model.
CAUTION: The use of an incorrect tip may damage your laptop. Do not use this product if you cannot locate your laptop model by using the Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder. If you still have questions, contact our toll-free helpline for assistance at (877) 467-4289. Your adapter is not compatible with Mac computers
or laptops requiring more than 65 watts of power.
- Locate the specified tip from the tip bundle provided. Each tip is clearly numbered. If you do not have the tip you need, you can get a free tip from the Tip Wizard at bbyurl.us/tipfinder.Note: For illustration purposes only. Actual tips included with your charger may vary.
- Connect the selected tip to the end of the output cable, making sure that the pins on the tip are aligned with the holes in the cable. Make sure that the tip is firmly connected to the output cable’s connector.
- Connect the AC cord to the socket on the charger.
- Plug the AC cord into an AC power outlet.
- Plug the tip connected to the output cable into the DC input jack on your laptop. The charger powers the laptop and charges its battery.
FAQ for Insignia chargers
What tip should I use for my laptop?
You can determine the correct tip for your laptop by visiting the Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder. Locate your laptop manufacturer and model and the correct tip will be listed.
If you cannot find your specific laptop model please contact Insignia customer service at (877) 467-4289 for additional assistance.
My tip is not included, how do I order a new one?
First review the Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder for a complete listing of compatible laptop models. If the compatible tip for your laptop is not included in the charger package, one free tip can be ordered through the Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder. Use the Tip Wizard to locate your laptop manufacturer and model and you can order your complimentary tip. If you are unable to locate your laptop in the Tip Wizard please contact Insignia customer service at (877) 467-4289.
How do I connect the tip to the charger cable?
After you have selected the correct tip for your laptop, connect the tip to the output cable, making sure that the ridge on the inside of the tip aligns properly with the groove in the output cable connector. Additionally, the pins on the inside of the tip should be in line with the holes in the output cable. The tip should be pushed firmly onto the cable until the tip and cable meet and there is no gap.
What other laptops can I use this charger for?
The Insignia laptop charger is compatible with thousands of laptop models. A complete list of compatible laptops can be viewed through the Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder.
Why doesn’t the tip fit into my laptop?
If the tip does not appear to fit into your laptop you may have selected the incorrect tip for your laptop. The tip should fit snugly inside the DC input jack on the side or back of your laptop. If the tip does not fit into the jack, do not force the tip. Confirm you have selected the correct tip for your laptop by visiting the Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder. If you need additional assistance, or if you need a tip that isn’t included in the package, please contact Insignia customer service at (877) 467-4289.
Will using incorrect tips damage my laptop?
The tips are designed to be used with specific laptops and so you should only use the tip that is designated specifically for your laptop. The correct tip can be identified by using the online Tip Wizard at http://bbyurl.us/tipfinder.
The use of an incorrect tip may cause performance issues, including the inability to charge the internal battery or power the laptop, or the display of an error message on the laptop screen. It is also possible that the use of an incorrect tip could damage your laptop. For these reasons, it is necessary to use the tip designed specifically for your laptop.
My laptop uses less than 65 watts (e.g. 40 watts). Will this charger damage my laptop?
No, using this charger will not damage your laptop. This charger only supplies as much power as required by the laptop, up to a maximum of 65 watts.
My laptop uses more than 65 watts (e.g. 90 watts). Will this charger damage my laptop?
This is a 65-watt charger and it should not be used with any computer that requires more than 65 watts. Using a computer that uses more than 65 watts can damage your charger.
I notice that the charger is warm when I use it. Is this a problem?
During standard operation, the charger body may feel warm, and this is normal. The charger should always be placed in a ventilated area in order to prevent over-heating.
If I leave the charger plugged in when I’m not using it does it waste energy?
This Insignia charger meets CEC VI energy requirements which means it is an energy-efficient product designed to conserve power. When the charger is plugged in and not being used it draws less than 0.5 watts of power.
|AC wall socket input cable||6 ft. (183 cm) (includes charger)|
|DC power output cable||4 ft. (122 cm)|
|AC input voltage||100-240V AC —1.5 A 50-60Hz|
|DC output voltage||19 Volts DC|
|DC output current||3.42 Amps maximum continuous|
|Output power||65 W maximum (DC)|
|Weight||12.1 oz. (345 g)|
|Charger dimensions (LxWxH)||4.2 x 1.8 x 1.1 in. (10.7 x 4.6 x 2.8 cm)|
FCC Part 15
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. The operation of this product is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced technician for help.
Changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance with the FCC Rules could void the user’s authority to operate this equipment.
Canada ICES-003 statement
This Class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003.
- Under Industry Canada regulations, this radio transmitter may only operate using an antenna of a type and maximum (or lesser) gain approved for the transmitter by Industry Canada. To reduce potential radio interference to other users, the antenna type and its gain should be so chosen that the equivalent isotropically radiated power (e.i.r.p.) is not more than that necessary for successful communication.
- This equipment complies with IC radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled environment. This equipment should be installed and operated with a minimum distance of 20cm between the radiator and your body.
- “This device complies with Industry license-exempt RSS standard(s). Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.”
Insignia is a trademark of Best Buy and its affiliated companies.
Registered in some countries. Distributed by Best Buy Purchasing, LLC.
7601 Penn Ave South, Richfield, MN 55423
© 2020 Best Buy. All rights reserved.
ONE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
The Distributor* of Insignia branded products warrants to you, the original purchaser of this new Insignia-branded product (“Product”), that the Product shall be free of defects in the original manufacturer of the material or workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of your purchase of the Product (“Warranty Period”). For this warranty to apply, your Product must be purchased in the United States or Canada from a Best Buy branded retail store or online at www.bestbuy.com or www.bestbuy.ca and is packaged with this warranty statement.
How long does the coverage last?
The Warranty Period lasts for 1 year (365 days) from the date you purchased the Product. Your purchase date is printed on the receipt you received with the Product.
What does this warranty cover?
During the Warranty Period, if the original manufacture of the material or workmanship of the Product is determined to be defective by an authorized Insignia repair center or store personnel, Insignia will (at its sole option): (1) repair the Product with new or rebuilt parts; or (2) replace the Product at no charge with new or rebuilt comparable products or parts. Products and parts replaced under this warranty become the property of Insignia and are not returned to you. If service of Products or parts are required after the Warranty Period expires, you must pay all labor and parts charges. This warranty lasts as long as you own your Insignia Product during the Warranty Period. Warranty coverage terminates if you sell or otherwise transfer the Product.
How to obtain warranty service?
If you purchased the Product at a Best Buy retail store location or from a Best Buy online website (www.bestbuy.com or www.bestbuy.ca), please take your original receipt and the Product to any Best Buy store. Make sure that you place the Product in its original packaging or packaging that provides the same amount of protection as the original packaging. To obtain warranty service, in the United States and Canada call 1-877-467-4289. Call agents may diagnose and correct the issue over the phone.
Where is the warranty valid?
This warranty is valid only in the United States and Canada at Best Buy branded retail stores or websites to the original purchaser of the product in the country where the original purchase was made.
What does the warranty not cover?
This warranty does not cover:
- Customer instruction/education
- Set up adjustments
- Cosmetic damage
- Damage due to weather, lightning, and other acts of God, such as power surges
- Accidental damage
- Commercial purposes/use, including but not limited to use in a place of business or in communal areas of a multiple dwelling condominium or apartment complex, or otherwise used in a place other than a private home.
- Modification of any part of the Product, including the antenna
- Display panel damaged by static (non-moving) images applied for lengthy periods (burn-in).
- Damage due to incorrect operation or maintenance
- Connection to an incorrect voltage or power supply
- Attempted repair by any person not authorized by Insignia to service the Product
- Products sold “as is” or “with all faults”
- Consumables, including but not limited to batteries (i.e. AA, AAA, C, etc.)
- Products where the factory-applied serial number has been altered or removed
- Loss or Theft of this product or any part of the product
- Display panels containing up to three (3) pixel failures (dots that are dark or incorrectly illuminated) grouped in an area smaller than one-tenth (1/10) of the display size or up to five (5) pixel failures throughout the display. (Pixel-based displays may contain a limited number of pixels that may not function normally.)
- Failures or damage caused by any contact including but not limited to liquids, gels, or pastes.
REPAIR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTY IS YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY. INSIGNIA SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR THE BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THIS PRODUCT, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOST DATA, LOSS OF USE OF YOUR PRODUCT, LOST BUSINESS, OR LOST PROFITS. INSIGNIA PRODUCTS MAKES NO OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCT, ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES FOR THE PRODUCT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE WARRANTY PERIOD SET FORTH ABOVE AND NO WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WILL APPLY AFTER THE WARRANTY PERIOD. SOME STATES, PROVINCES AND JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE OR PROVINCE TO PROVINCE.
INSIGNIA is a trademark of Best Buy and its affiliated companies.
*Distributed by Best Buy Purchasing, LLC
7601 Penn Ave South, Richfield, MN 55423 U.S.A.
©2020 Best Buy. All rights reserved.
1-877-467-4289 (U.S. and Canada) or 01-800-926-3000 (Mexico)
INSIGNIA is a trademark of Best Buy and its affiliated companies.
Distributed by Best Buy Purchasing, LLC
7601 Penn Ave South, Richfield, MN 55423 U.S.A.
©2020 Best Buy. All rights reserved.
Documents / Resources
|INSIGNIA NS-PWL965 Universal 65W Laptop Charger [pdf] User Guide|
NS-PWL965, Universal 65W Laptop Charger