GRILLSKÄR side burner
LIST OF FEATURES
The numbering of the product features shown refers to the illustration of the side burner on the graphic page
- Top lid
- Control knob
- Side burner body
The safety symbols and their meanings are explained below. Read and follow the instructions in this manual carefully.
Failure to read and follow these instructions could result in serious injury or damage to property.
Installation must conform to local codes or in the absence of local codes with either the National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 or Propane and storage handling code B149.2.
This product is for OUTDOOR USE ONLY. Shall not be used in a building. NEVER use in an enclosed space such as a carport, garage, veranda, covered patio, or under an overhead structure of any kind.
Important – LEAK TEST THE SIDE BURNER WHEN FULLY ASSEMBLED BEFORE FIRST USE. IN
ADDITION always leak test the side burner annually, when dismantled, when parts are replaced, or if the gas cylinder is removed or replaced.
FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY, OR DAMAGE TO THE SIDE BURNER. Always keep the cylinder vertical.
Important – Ensure the unit is positioned on flat, level ground to aid with fat/grease run off.
GRILLSKÄR side burner is designed for use with liquid propane (LP) gas only. Do not use with natural (piped in city) gas. The valves, orifices, hose and regulator are for LP gas only.
Should you need to change the gas cylinder, make sure the unit is switched off, and that there are no sources of ignition (cigarettes, open flame, sparks, etc.) nearby before proceeding.
Never use indoors, in an enclosed area or below ground level.
This side burner shall only be used above ground in an open-air situation with natural ventilation, without enclosed areas, where gas leakage and products of combustion are rapidly dispersed by wind and natural convection.
This side burner is not intended to be used in or on boats or in or on recreational vehicles.
This side burner should not be used under overhead combustible construction.
Never use an adjustable regulator with this unit. This side burner will become very hot when in use take care when touching.
Keep children and pets at a safe distance from this side burner when in use.
Do not attempt to move this side burner when in use.
Always turn off gas supply at the gas cylinder when not in use.
Any modification of this burner may be dangerous.
Do not leave this side burner unattended when in use.
Any parts sealed by the manufacturer or his agent must not be altered by the user. When igniting, always have the lid open. Only use the side burner on a flat, level non-
flammable surface or ground. When positioning, ensure the side burner is a minimum of 1 metre/ 40″ from flammable items or structure from sides and back of the appliance.
Before each use inspect the gas hose to ensure it is free of any twisting or tension.
Do not obstruct the flow of combustion and ventilation air.
When storing the side burner or gas cylinder, ensure they are away from flammable materials or liquids.
The gas cylinder must not be stored next to this or any other appliance.
Always follow care and maintenance instructions regularly maintain your side burner.
Do not allow grease, fat or food residue to build up in or on the side burner – RISK OF FIRE.
Always replace worn parts – do not use the side burner if a leak, wear or damage is found.
Do not store or cover the side burner until fully cooled.
Keep the ventilation opening of the cylinder enclosure free and clear from debris.
Keep the fuel supply hose away from any heated surface.
Keep the area around your gas side burner clear of any combustible materials, petrol or other flammable liquids and vapours.
Pressure regulator and hose assembly supplied with this barbecue/side burner must be used.
Replacement pressure regulators and hose assemblies must be the same as those supplied originally with the side burner.
Do not hang any combustible materials from the hand rails of this barbecue/side burner.
Accessible parts may be very hot. Keep young children away.
Always wear protective gloves or a barbecue mitt when handling hot components or items such as pots.
A cooking vessel with a diameter of no less than 10cm (3.9″) and no greater than 26cm (10″) should only be used.
IMPORTANT – PERFORM LEAK TESTS BEFORE USE
Always leak test the unit – annually, when dismantled, when parts are replaced, or if the gas cylinder is removed or replaced.
- Never use an open flame to check for leaks at anytime. DO NOT IGNITE THE SIDE BURNER DURING LEAK TESTING.
- To be performed in a well-ventilated area.
- Be sure all control knobs are in the ‘OFF’ position.
- Check for leaks by brushing a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 soap over all the gas system joints, including all valve connections, hose connections and regulator connections.
- Ensure the soap solution has been applied to all connections – connect the regulator to the gas cylinder, open the gas control valve on the regulator allowing gas to flow.
- OBSERVE – if bubbles form over any part of the joints there is a leak.
- Turn off the gas and tighten all joints
- Repeat test. If bubbles form again, do not use the side burner. Please contact your local dealer for assistance.
GAS AND REGULATOR INSTRUCTIONS
- This side burner is only for use with cylinders marked propane.
- The cylinder should be positioned underneath the main barbecue body and stored upright.
- Gas cylinders should never be stored or laid on their side.
- Before each use inspect the gas hose to ensure it is free of any twisting or tension
GRILLSKÄR side burner is only to be used together with GRILLSKÄR gas barbecue. Before assembling your side burner, remove all protective packaging from each part. Do not store a spare LP gas cylinder under or near this appliance. Cylinder used must include a collar to protect the cylinder valve.
Never fill the cylinder beyond 80% full. Failure to follow these instructions exactly may result in fire causing serious injury or death. Place dust cap on cylinder valve outlet whenever the cylinder is not in use. Only install the type of dust cap on the cylinder valve outlet that is provided with the cylinder valve. Other types of caps or plugs may result in leakage of propane.
The gas cylinder must have a connection compatible with the regulator supplied with the side burner and have a minimum capacity of 4kg / 9lbs.
SIDE BURNER USER INSTRUCTIONS
Before proceeding, make certain that you understand the warning statements in this manual.
BEFORE USING THIS APPLIANCE
- Please read all of these instructions and appliance owners manual prior to installation and use.
- FOR OUTDOOR USE ONLY!
- Appliance and tank must be in open, well ventilated outdoor area prior to connection and use. Make sure tank valve is fully closed and not leaking prior to moving or connecting.
- NEVER USE IN A GARAGE OR UNDER OVERHANGS!
- NEVER STORE A SPARE CYLINDER OR ANY FLAMMABLE LIQUID OR GAS UNDER OR NEAR THIS APPLIANCE OR ANY OTHER HEAT SOURCE.
- Be sure tank valve and regulator are proper mating types, with correct threads or fittings, see manual.
- Inspect tank valve, regulator, hose and fittings to be sure they are clean, free of dirt, debris, not plugged and not damaged. If damaged replace before use. See local LP dealer for repairs.
- Prior to connection, turn all control valves to the OFF position.
- Connect regulator to tank valve according to appliance owners manual. Handle cylinder with care – the contents are under high pressure.
- If good connection has been made, slowly open tank valve to full open. Use a soapy water solution to check all gas connections for leaks before lighting appliance.
- NEVER TEST WITH OPEN FLAME!
- IF YOU SMELL GAS OR A LEAK IS FOUND:
- SHUT OFF GAS AT THE TANK VALVE IMMEDIATELY.
- EXTINGUISH ANY OPEN FLAME, OR OTHER POTENTIAL IGNITION SOURCE.
- DO NOT USE APPLIANCE UNTIL REPAIRS ARE MADE BY QUALIFIED LP GAS DEALER.
- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAKE REPAIRS YOURSELF!
- DO NOT USE ANY APPLIANCE, OR PARTS, EXPOSED TO OR DAMAGED BY FIRE!
- If not leaking, carefully light appliance and use according to the instructions in this manual. This appliance regulator and tank valve connection may contain two or more important safety features such as Excess Flow Control and High Temperature Activated Shutoff.
- FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN AN EXPLOSION OR FIRE THAT MAY CAUSE PROPERTY DAMAGE, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH!
- NEVER LEAVE THIS APPLIANCE UNATTENDED WHILE IN USE! NOT TO BE USED BY CHILDREN!
Lighting the side burner
- Open the side burner lid.
- Ensure the control knob is in the “OFF” position.
- Turn on the gas supply at the gas cylinder.
- Push control knob down and turn to ignition position.
- Hold control knob in for at least 10 seconds to ensure the burner stays lit.
- If ignition does not occur in 5 seconds, turn the burner control off, wait 5 minutes and repeat the lighting procedure. Do not continuously hold the control knob in as you may cause a build up of gas.
- In windy conditions shield from wind to ensure easy lighting.
- Turn control knob to alter burner settings as required.
Manual Lighting Instructions
- Place a lit match beside the burner (at the same location as the sparker shield).
- Push and turn the control knob to the high position.
Always protect your hands when handling anything near cooking surface of the side burner.
Turning off your side burner
Push the control knob in and turn to the “OFF” position. Turn the gas off and disconnect the cylinder when not in use. The regulator must be disconnected when the side burner is not in use.
Please read and follow this advice when cooking on your side burner:
- Always wash your hands before and after handling uncooked meat and before eating.
- Always keep raw meat away from cooked meat and other foods.
- Before cooking, ensure side burner surfaces and tools are clean and free of old food residue.
- Do not use the same utensils to handle cooked and uncooked foods.
- Ensure all meat is cooked thoroughly before eating.
CAUTION – eating raw or undercooked meat can cause food poisoning (e.g bacteria strains such as E.coli)
- To reduce the risk of undercooked meat, cut open to ensure it is cooked all the way through internally.
CAUTION – if meat has been cooked sufficiently the meat juices should be clear in colour and there should be no traces of pink/red juice or meat colouring.
- After cooking on your side burner always clean the cooking surfaces and utensils.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
- Regularly clean your side burner between uses and especially after extended periods of storage.
- Ensure the side burner and its components are sufficiently cool before cleaning.
- Do not leave the unit exposed to outside weather conditions or stored in damp, moist areas.
- Never douse the unit burner with water when its surfaces are hot.
- Never handle hot parts with unprotected hands.
- In order to extend the life and maintain the condition of your side burner, we strongly recommend that the unit is covered when left outside for any length of time, especially during the winter months.
IMPORTANT – We recommend that servicing of this side burner should be performed either after every 100 hours of use or annually, whichever is achieved soonest.
- Keep outdoor cooking area with gas appliance clear and free from combustible materials, gasoline and other flammable vapors and liquids.
- Do not obstruct the flow of combustion and ventilation air.
Burner (2) Maintenance
- In normal usage, burning off the residue after cooking will keep the burners clean.
- The burners should be cleaned annually, or whenever heavy build-up is found, to ensure that there are no signs of blockage (debris, insects) in either the burner portholes or the venturi tubes of the burners fitted over the valve outlets. A blocked burner can lead to a fire beneath the grill.
- Visually inspect the operation of the burners. See figure below showing correct burning.
There should be flame from all portholes
See figures below showing correct burner installation with respect to the burner orifice.
Do not leave your side burner uncovered when not in use. Store your side burner in a cool dry place like a shed or garage when not in use to protect against the effects of extreme weather conditions, particularly if you live near coastal areas.
Prolonged exposure to sunlight, standing water, sea air/saltwater can all cause damage to your appliance. (A cover may not be sufficient to protect your appliance in some of these situations).
- Cover the burners with aluminium foil in order to prevent insects or other debris from collecting in burner holes.
- If the side burner is to be stored indoors, the gas cylinder must be disconnected and left outside. The gas cylinder should always be stored outside, in a dry, well-ventilated area, away from any sources of heat or ignition. Do not let children tamper with the cylinder.
- Cylinders must be stored out of the reach of children and must not be stored in a building, garage or any other enclosed area.
Do not put side burner in storage or travel mode immediately after use. Allow the side burner to cool to touch before moving or storing. Failure to do so could result in fire resulting in property damage, personal injury or death.
This side burner is designed for outdoor use only using propane gas. Please read all accompanying documentation carefully.
Type of gas: Propane Regulator
Pressure: 11″ per W.C
Heat input: 10000BTU/HR*1 Injector Size: 0.9mm
Countries intended for: U.S.A / C.A Model nr: 40490006
The pressure regulator and hose assembly supplied with the outdoor cooking gas appliance must be used. Replacement pressure regulators and hose assemblies must be those specified by the outdoor cooking gas appliance manufacturer. The cylinder used must include a collar to protect the cylinder valve.
- Do not store a spare LP gas cylinder under or near this appliance;
- Never fill the cylinder beyond 80 percent full; and
- If the information in 1 and 2 is not followed exactly, a fire causing death or serious injury may occur.
Inspect the hose before each use of the outdoor cooking gas appliance. If it is evident there is excessive abrasion or wear, or the hose is cut, it must be replaced prior to the outdoor cooking gas appliance being put into operation. The replacement hose assembly shall be that specified by the manufacturer.
HOW TO REACH US IF YOU NEED OUR SERVICE
Contact your local IKEA store. You will find the address and phone number in the IKEA catalogue or at www.IKEA.com To ensure that we provide you with the best assistance, please read carefully the Assembly Instructions and/or the User Instruction section of this manual before contacting us.
Burner will not light using the ignition system
LP gas cylinder is empty
Replace with full cylinder
Have regulator checked or replace
Obstructions in burner
Obstructions in gas jets or gas hose
Clean jets and gas hose
Electrode wire is loose
Electrode or wire is damaged
Change electrode and wire
Low flame or flashback (fire in burner tube – a hissing or roaring noise may be heard)
LP gas cylinder too small
Use larger cylinder
Obstructions in burner
Obstructions in gas jets or gas
Clean jets and gas hose
Use BBQ in a more sheltered position
Gas valve knob difficult to turn
Gas valve jammed
Replace gas valve