HomeSeer HS-WX300-R2 Z-Wave In-Wall Dimmer and Switch User Manual
PLEASE READ FIRST! This printed user guide includes only the bare essentials for installing and configuring the HS-WX300-R2 switch. It does NOT contain information about advanced features, Z-Wave parameters and hub compatibility. Please use the QR code at right or visit docs.homeseer.com and search for “WX300” for more information about HS-WX300-R2.
WARNING RISK OF FIRE | RISK OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK | RISK OF BURNS DO NOT USE THIS SWITCH TO CONTROL ANYTHING THAT MAY PRESENT A HAZARD WHEN CONTROLLED REMOTELY OR USED IN AN UNATTENDED FASHION. DO NOT USE WITH MEDICAL AND LIFE SUPPORT INSTRUMENTS. CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF OVERHEATING AND POSSIBLE DAMAGE TO OTHER EQUIPMENT, DO NOT INSTALL TO CONTROL A RECEPTACLE, A MOTOR-OPERATED APPLIANCE, A FLUORESCENT LIGHTING FIXTURE, OR A TRANSFORMER-SUPPLIED APPLIANCE.
HS-WX300-R2 is a Z-Wave in-wall light switch that may be configured to operate as either a dimmer switch or an on/off switch. It may be installed with or without a neutral wire and it works with both wired and wireless companion switches in 3-way circuit configurations.
Most lighting loads are powered with line (120 VAC) and neutral wires. The line wire always runs through the wall switch box but the neutral may not be present there. If the neutral wire is present, use the 3-wire method below. If no neutral is present, use the 2-wire method. For 3-way circuits, a neutral is only required at the companion switch location (using HS-WA100+ or standard 3-way switches).
Tools required: medium standard and Phillips head screwdrivers, wire strippers/cutters
- Shut off power to the circuit at the circuit breaker or fuse box. VERIFY power is OFF before continuing!
- Remove existing switch’s wall plate and mounting screws. Carefully remove the existing switch from the electrical box but leave the wires connected.
- There may be up to five wires connected to the existing switch. Make note of these wires and label, if necessary, to ensure correct installation of the HS-WX300-R2. You will need to match these wires with the corresponding screw terminals on the HS-WX300-R2.
Note: LINE, and LOAD wires are required for every installation. If a NEUTRAL wire is present, we recommend using that also for best performance, particularly for dimming loads. Wires are usually color-coded fore easy identification. However, colors can deviate from what’s shown in the list below, depending upon the original installer. We recommend using a multi-meter to verify which wire is actually connected to power before wiring. In general, the colors follow the convention below.
• LINE (120 VAC) – Black (connected to power)
• NEUTRAL – White (this wire is often tied to other neutral wires and may require a jumper to connect with the HS-WX300-R2)
• LOAD – Black (connected to load)
• GROUND — Green or Bare · TRAVELER — Red/Other (only used in 3-way circuits)
- Disconnect the wires from the existing switch and attach those wires to the HS-WX300-R2 using the screw terminal connectors on the back with the following procedure:
- Strip 16 mm (5/8″) insulation from each wire*.
- With a screw driver, loosen each screw terminal by rotating the screw counter-clockwise a few turns until resistance is felt.
- There are two holes on the back of the switch near each screw terminal. Insert the stripped wire into one of these holes and tighten the screw terminal to secure the connection. Connections should be snug. *all wires should be 14 AWG or larger rated at 80°C or higher. Tightening torque should be 12 lbf-in (14kgf-cm). Use copper wire only.
- Carefully install the wired switch back into the electrical box and reattach the trim plate.
CHANGING SWITCH MODE (Must be done BEFORE Z-Wave inclusion)
HS-WX300-R2 may be configured to operate as an ON-OFF switch or as a DIMMER. By default, it will operate as a dimmer. To change the switch mode:
- Press & hold the small button located on the metal yoke next to the column of LEDs, OR if the trim plate is already installed, in rapid succession, tap the top paddle 3 times, then press & hold the top paddle for 3 seconds (tap-tap-tap-press & hold)
- Observe the behaviour of the LEDs
- If all LEDs blink green 3 times, HS-WX300-R2 is configured to function as a dimmer
- If the bottom LED blinks blue 3 times, HS-WX300-R2 is configured to function as an on-off switch
CHANGING WIRE MODE
HS-WX300-R2 may be installed with a neutral wire (3-wire mode) or without a neutral wire (2-wire mode). Selecting the correct wire mode will yield the best results, especially if the switch is configured as a dimmer. By default, 3-wire mode is enabled. To change the wire mode (at the switch):
- Turn the power off
- In rapid succession, tap the top paddle 2 times, then press & hold the top paddle for 3 seconds (tap-tap-press & hold)
- Observe the behaviour of the LEDs
• If the bottom 3 LEDs flash white 3 times, HS-WX300-R2 is configured for 3-wire mode
• If the bottom 2 LEDs flash white 2 times, HS-WX300-R2 is configured for 2-wire mode
Note: Wire mode may also be changed by the hub using Z-Wave parameter 32. See the Z-Wave Parameters section of the ONLINE manual for details. Z-WAVE INCLUSION or EXLUSION Follow this 2-step procedure to add (or remove) your new HomeSeer switch to (or from) your Z-Wave network: 1. Put your Z-Wave controller into inclusion (or exclusion) mode. Consult your controller’s manual if you’re unsure how to do this. 2. In rapid succession, tap the bottom paddle 2 times, then press & hold the bottom paddle for 3 seconds (tap-tap-press & hold). This will initiate the inclusion (or exclusion) process. Note: The switch will default to dimmer mode after Z-Wave exclusion.
FACTORY RESET – To be used only in the event that the network primary controller is lost or otherwise inoperable. 1. In rapid succession, tap the top paddle 3 times, then tap the bottom paddle 3 times. If all LEDs flash white 5 times, factory reset was successful.
If not, repeat this procedure. Note: As this must be done very quickly, we recommend using 2 fingers for this operation; one on each paddle! Note: The switch will default to 3-wire mode and dimmer mode after factory reset.
This product supports Group 1 and Group 2 Associations with up to five Z-Wave devices per group. Group 1 supports Lifeline Communication, Group 2 supports Basic Set, refer to your controller manual for instructions on setting up these features.
Your new HomeSeer switch may be operated locally (by pressing the paddle) or remotely using a Z-Wave compatible hub or system
- Press (tap) the top of the paddle to power the load.
- Press (tap) the bottom of the paddle to cut power to the load.
- If configured as a dimmer, press and hold the top or bottom of the paddle increase or decrease the dim level.
Remote Control – On / Off / Dim control is available remotely. Consult your controller manual for details.
SmartStart enabled products can be added into a Z-Wave network by scanning the Z-Wave QR Code* with a controller providing SmartStart inclusion. No further action is required and the SmartStart product will be added automatically within 10 minutes of being switched on in the network vicinity. *QR Code is located on the HS-WX300-R2 metal yoke under the switch paddle.
HomeSeer warrants to the original purchaser that this product, for the warranty period, will be free from material defects and workmanship. This warranty is subject to proper installation and operation of the product. HomeSeer’s sole obligation, under this warranty, is to repair, replace or correct any defect that was present at the time of delivery. This warranty does not extend to consequential or incidental damage to other products that may be used with this product. Warranty claims must be submitted in writing directly to HomeSeer at HomeSeer.com. Warranty period: limited 2 years from date of purchase
UL specifications: For indoor use only | Operating ambient temperature 0-40°C | Method of mounting included: Independently mounted (Vertical position only) | Operating control, Type 1.B action | Pollution Degree 2 | Rated Impulse Voltage 2500 V | Software Class A
FCC statements: This device complies with part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. NOTE: The manufacturer is not responsible for any radio or TV interference caused by unauthorized modifications or changes to this equipment. Such modifications or changes could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
Please visit docs.homeseer.com and search for “WX300” to find the full FCC/IC statements.
IC statements: This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules and with RSS of Industry Canada. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This Class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003.
Supplier’s Declaration of Conformity | 47 CFR 2.1077 Compliance Information | Responsible Party US Contact Information | 10 Commerce Park North, Unit 10 Bedford, NH 03110 United States | Model: WD800 | https://homeseer.com/support-home
This product employs or practices certain features and/or methods of the following U.S. Patents: U.S. Patent Nos.6,891,838, 6,914,893 and 7,103,511. HomeSeer | 10 Commerce Park North, Unit 10 | Bedford, NH 03110 | HomeSeer.com | Doc: HS-WX300-R2-insert-v1.5
Documents / Resources
|HomeSeer HS-WX300-R2 Z-Wave In-Wall Dimmer and Switch [pdf] User Manual|
WD800, 2AMY9WD800, HS-WX300-R2 Z-Wave In-Wall Dimmer and Switch, HS-WX300-R2, Z-Wave In-Wall Dimmer and Switch, Switch, In-Wall Dimmer, Wall Dimmer, Dimmer
- Smart Home Systems For Every Need & Budget | HomeSeer
- Support Home Page | HomeSeer
- Products - Products