Electrolux LUC4NE23W Freestanding Freezer
WE’RE THINKING OF YOU
Thank you for purchasing an Electrolux appliance. You’ve chosen a product that brings with it decades of professional experience and innovation. Ingenious and stylish, it has been designed with you in mind. So whenever you use it, you can be safe in the knowledge that you’ll get great results every time. Welcome to Electrolux.
Visit our website to:
- Get usage advice, brochures, troubleshooter, service, and repair information: www.electrolux.com/support
- Register your product for better service: www.registerelectrolux.com
- Buy Accessories, Consumables, and Original spare parts for your appliance: www.electrolux.com/shop
CUSTOMER CARE AND SERVICE
Always use original spare parts. When contacting our Authorised Service Centre, ensure that you have the following data available: Model, PNC, Serial Number. The information can be found on the rating plate.
- Warning / Caution-Safety information
- General information and tips
- Environmental information
- Subject to change without notice.
Before the installation and use of the appliance, carefully read the supplied instructions. The manufacturer is not responsible for any injuries or damage that are the result of incorrect installation or usage. Always keep the instructions in a safe and accessible location for future reference.
Children and vulnerable people’s safety
- This appliance can be used by children aged 8 years and above and persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge if they have been given supervision or instruction concerning the use of the appliance in a safe way and understand the hazards involved.
- Children aged from 3 to 8 years are allowed to load and unload the appliance provided that they have been properly instructed.
- This appliance may be used by persons with very extensive and complex disabilities provided that they have been properly instructed.
- Children, less than 3 years of age should be kept away from the appliance unless continuously supervised.
- Do not let children play with the appliance.
- Children shall not carry out cleaning and user maintenance of the appliance without supervision.
- Keep all packaging away from children and dispose of it appropriately.
- This appliance is intended to be used in household and similar applications such as:
- Farmhouses; staff kitchen areas in shops, offices, and other working environments;
- By clients in hotels, motels, bed, and breakfasts, and other residential type environments.
- To avoid contamination of food respect the following instructions:
- do not open the door for long periods;
- clean regularly surfaces that can come in contact with food and accessible drainage systems;
- Keep ventilation openings, in the appliance enclosure or in the built-in structure, clear of obstruction.
- Do not use mechanical devices or other means to accelerate the defrosting process, other than those recommended by the manufacturer.
- Do not damage the refrigerant circuit.
- Do not use electrical appliances inside the food storage compartments of the appliance, unless they are of the type recommended by the manufacturer.
- Do not use water spray and steam to clean the appliance.
- Clean the appliance with a moist soft cloth. Only use neutral detergents. Do not use abrasive products, abrasive cleaning pads, solvents, or metal objects.
- When the appliance is empty for long period, switch it off, defrost, clean, dry, and leave the door open to prevent mould from developing within the appliance.
- Do not store explosive substances such as aerosol cans with a flammable propellant in this appliance.
- If the supply cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer, its Authorised Service Centre, or similarly qualified persons in order to avoid a hazard.
WARNING: Only a qualified person must install this appliance.
- Remove all the packaging.
- Do not install or use a damaged appliance.
- Follow the installation instructions supplied with the appliance.
- Always take care when moving the appliance as it is heavy. Always use safety gloves and enclosed footwear.
- Make sure the air can circulate around the appliance.
- At first installation or after reversing the door wait at least 4 hours before connecting the appliance to the power supply. This is to allow the oil to flow back in the compressor.
- Before carrying out any operations on the appliance (e.g. reversing the door), remove the plug from the power socket.
- Do not install the appliance close to radiators or cookers, ovens, or hobs.
- Do not expose the appliance to the rain.
- Do not install the appliance where there is direct sunlight.
- Do not install this appliance in areas that are too humid or too cold.
- When you move the appliance, lift it by the front edge to avoid scratching the floor.
- The appliance contains a bag of desiccants. This is not a toy. This is not food. Please dispose of it immediately.
WARNING: Risk of fire and electric shock. When positioning the appliance, ensure the supply cord is not trapped or damaged. Do not use multi-plug adapters and extension cables.
- The appliance must be earthed.
- Make sure that the parameters on the rating plate are compatible with the electrical ratings of the main power supply.
- Always use a correctly installed shockproof socket.
- Make sure not to cause damage to the electrical components (e.g. mains plug, mains cable, compressor). Contact the Authorised Service Centre or an electrician to change the electrical components.
- The main cable must stay below the level of the main plug.
- Connect the mains plug to the mains socket only at the end of the installation. Make sure that there is access to the mains plug after the installation.
- Do not pull the mains cable to disconnect the appliance. Always pull the mains plug.
Risk of injury, burns, electric shock, or fire. The appliance contains flammable gas, isobutane (R600a), and natural gas with a high level of environmental compatibility. Be careful not to cause damage to the refrigerant circuit containing isobutane.
- Do not change the specification of this appliance.
- Do not put electrical appliances (e.g. ice cream makers) in the appliance unless they are stated applicable by the manufacturer.
- If damage occurs to the refrigerant circuit, make sure that there are no flames and sources of ignition in the room. Ventilate the room.
- Do not let hot items touch the plastic parts of the appliance.
- Do not put soft drinks in the freezer compartment. This will create pressure on the drink container.
- Do not store flammable gas and liquid in the appliance.
- Do not put flammable products or items that are wet with flammable products in, near, or on the appliance.
- Do not touch the compressor or the condenser. They are hot.
- Do not remove or touch items from the freezer compartment if your hands are wet or damp.
- Do not freeze again food that has been thawed.
- Follow the storage instructions on the packaging of frozen food.
- Wrap the food in any food contact material before putting it in the freezer compartment.
WARNING: Risk of electric shock.
- Concerning the lamp(s) inside this product and spare part lamps sold separately: These lamps are intended to withstand extreme physical conditions in household appliances, such as temperature, vibration, humidity, or are intended to signal information about the operational status of the appliance. They are not intended to be used in other applications and are not suitable for household room illumination.
Care and cleaning
WARNING: Risk of injury or damage to the appliance.
- • Before maintenance, deactivate the appliance and disconnect the mains plug from the mains socket.
• This appliance contains hydrocarbons in the cooling unit. Only a qualified person must do the maintenance and the recharging of the unit.
• Regularly examine the drain of the appliance and if necessary, clean it. If the drain is blocked, defrosted water collects in the bottom of the appliance.
- To repair the appliance contact the Authorised Service Centre. Use original spare parts only.
- Please note that self-repair or non-professional repair can have safety consequences and might void the guarantee.
- The following spare parts will be available for 7 years after the model has been discontinued: thermostats, temperature sensors, printed circuit boards, light sources, door handles, door hinges, trays, and baskets. Please note that some of these spare parts are only available to professional repairers and that not all spare parts are relevant for all models.
- Door gaskets will be available for 10 years after the model has been discontinued.
WARNING: Risk of injury or suffocation.
- Disconnect the appliance from the main supply.
- Cut off the main cable and discard it.
- Remove the door to prevent children and pets to be closed inside of the appliance.
- The refrigerant circuit and the insulation materials of this appliance are ozone-friendly.
- The insulation foam contains flammable gas. Contact your municipal authority for information on how to discard the appliance correctly.
- Do not cause damage to the part of the cooling unit that is near the heat exchanger.
WARNING: Refer to Safety chapters.
|Overall dimensions ¹|
¹ the height, width, and depth of the appliance without the handle and feet * including the height of the top hinge (10 mm)
|Space required in use ²|
² the height, width, and depth of the appliance including the handle, plus the space necessary for free circulation of the cooling air
|Space required in use ²|
|Overall space required in use ³|
³ the height, width, and depth of the appliance including the handle, plus the space necessary for free circulation of the cooling air, plus the space necessary to allow door opening to the minimum angle permitting removal of all internal equipment
Refer to the installation instructions for the installation
This appliance is not intended to be used as a built-in appliance. In case of different installation from freestanding respecting space required in use dimensions, the appliance will function correctly but energy consumption might increase slightly. To ensure the appliance’s best functionality, you should not install the appliance in a nearby heat source (oven, stoves, radiators, cookers, or hobs) or in a place with direct sunlight. Make sure that air can circulate freely around the back of the cabinet.This appliance should be installed in a dry, well-ventilated indoor position. To ensure the best performance, if the appliance is positioned below an overhanging wall unit, the minimum distance between the top of the cabinet shall be maintained. Ideally,however, the appliance should not be positioned below overhanging wall units. One or more adjustable feet at the base of the cabinet ensure that the appliance stands level.
- If you position the appliance against the wall, use the back spacers provided or keep the minimum distance indicated in the installation instructions.
- If you install the appliance next to a wall, refer to the installation instructions to understand the minimum distance between the wall and the side of the appliance where the door hinges are to provide enough space to open the door when the internal equipment is removed (e.g. when cleaning).
- This appliance is intended to be used at ambient temperatures ranging from 10°C to 38°C.
- The correct operation of the appliance can only be guaranteed within the specified temperature range.
- If you have any doubts regarding where to install the appliance, please turn to the vendor, to our customer service, or to the nearest Authorised Service Centre.
- It must be possible to disconnect the appliance from the mains power supply. The plug must therefore be easily accessible after installation.
- Before plugging in, ensure that the voltage and frequency shown on the rating plate correspond to your domestic power supply.
- The appliance must be earthed. The power supply cable plug is provided with a contact for this purpose.
- If the domestic power supply socket is not earthed, connect the appliance to a separate earth in compliance with current regulations, consulting a qualified electrician.
- The manufacturer declines all responsibility if the above safety precautions are not observed.
- This appliance complies with the E.E.C. Directives.
Please refer to the separate document with instructions on installation and door reversal.
CAUTION: At every stage of reversing the door protect the floor from scratching with durable material.
- Temperature scale
- Temperature key
- ECO mode icon
- FastFreeze icon
- Plug the appliance into the electrical main socket.
- To turn on the appliance, touch the temperature key. All LED indicators light up.
The temperature is set to the default setting (ECO mode). The LED indicator next to the ECO mode icon illuminates.
- To switch off the appliance press the temperature key for 3 seconds. All LED indicators turn off.
- To disconnect the appliance from the electrical supply, remove the main plug from the power socket.
To regulate the temperature, press the temperature key. Every time the key is pressed, the set temperature moves by one position, and the corresponding LED indicator lights up. Press the temperature key repeatedly until the required temperature is selected. The setting will be fixed. Selection is progressive, varying from -15°C to -24°C. The recommended setting is -18°C. You can activate it also in ECO mode.
The set temperature will be reached within 24 hours. After a power failure, the set temperature remains stored.
In this mode, the temperature is set to -18°C.
- This is the best setting to ensure good food preservation with minimal energy consumption. To activate ECO mode press the temperature key repeatedly until the LED indicator next to the ECO mode icon lights up.
This function is used to perform pre-freezing and fast freezing in sequence in the freezer compartment. It accelerates the freezing of fresh food and, at the same time, protects food products already stored in the compartment from undesirable warming. To freeze fresh food activate the function at least 24 hours before placing the food in the compartment to complete the pre-freezing step. To activate this function press the temperature key repeatedly until the LED indicator next to the FastFreeze icon lights up. This function stops automatically after 52 hours. When the function deactivates, the previous temperature setting is restored. You can deactivate this function at any time by pressing the temperature key and choosing a new temperature setting.
Door open alarm
If the door has been left open for approximately 90 seconds, the door open alarm activates. The LED indicator of the currently set temperature flashes and the sound is on.
To turn the sound off press the temperature key. You can deactivate this alarm by closing the door. If you do not press the key and do not close the door, the sound switches off automatically after approximately one hour to avoid disturbing.
High-temperature alarm: An increase in the temperature in the freezer compartment (for example due to
Positioning door shelves: The door of this appliance is equipped with runners that enable shelves/bins to be arranged according to individual preferences.
To reposition the door shelves/bins:
- Gradually lift the shelf/bin in the direction of the arrows until it comes free.
- Place the shelf/bin in the desired position and gently insert it into the runner.
Removing glass shelves
This appliance is equipped with glass shelves separating the drawers. To remove a glass shelf:
an earlier power failure or opening of the door) activates the high-temperature alarm. The LED indicator of the currently set temperature flashes and the sound is on. To turn the sound off press the temperature key (if a temperature has not yet been restored the temperature indicator keeps flashing). If the temperature is restored and you press the temperature key, the temperature indicator stops flashing. If you do not press the key, the sound switches off automatically after approximately one hour to avoid disturbing.
- Remove surrounding drawers (refer to “Removing drawers”).
- Pull out locking pins on both sides of the shelf (1).
- Pull the glass shelf outwards (2).
To put the glass shelf back follow the above steps in reverse order.
CAUTION: When pushing in the locking pins make sure to insert them fully in their place.
- Deep-frozen or frozen food, prior to being consumed, can be thawed in the refrigerator or inside a plastic bag under cold water.
- This operation depends on the time available and on the type of food. Small pieces may even be cooked still frozen.
To remove a drawer from a compartment:
- Pull the drawer out until it stops.
- Once you reach the end of the runners, lift slightly the front of the drawer and remove it from the appliance.
To put the drawer into a compartment, follow the above steps in reverse order.
HINTS AND TIPS
Hints for energy saving
- The internal configuration of the appliance is the one that ensures the most efficient use of energy.
- Do not open the door frequently or leave it open longer than necessary.
- The colder the temperature setting, the higher the energy consumption.
- Ensure good ventilation. Do not cover the ventilation grilles or holes.
- Make sure that food products inside the appliance allow air circulation through dedicated holes in the rear interior of the appliance.
Hints for freezing
- • Activate the FastFreeze function at least 24 hours before placing the food inside the freezer compartment.
• Before freezing wrap and seal fresh food in aluminum foil, plastic film, or bags, airtight containers with lids.
• For more efficient freezing and thawing divide food into small portions.
• It is recommended to put labels and dates on all your frozen food. This will help to identify foods and to know when they should be used before their deterioration.
• The food should be fresh when frozen to preserve good quality. Especially fruits and vegetables should be frozen after the harvest to preserve all of their nutrients.
• Do not freeze bottles or cans with liquids, in particular drinks containing carbon dioxide – they may explode during freezing.
• Do not put hot food in the freezer compartment. Cool it down at room temperature before placing it inside the compartment.
• To avoid the increase in temperature of already frozen food, do not place fresh unfrozen food directly next to it. Place food at room temperature in the part of the freezer compartment where there is no frozen food.
• Do not eat ice cubes, water ices, or ice lollies immediately after taking them out of the freezer. Risk of frostbites.
- Do not re-freeze defrosted food. If the food has defrosted, cook it, cool it down and then freeze it.
Hints for storage of frozen food
- The freezer compartment is the one marked with
- A good temperature setting that ensures the preservation of frozen food products is a temperature less than or equal to -18°C.
- Higher temperature settings inside the appliance may lead to shorter shelf life.
- The whole freezer compartment is suitable for the storage of frozen food products.
- Leave enough space around the food to allow air to circulate freely.
- For adequate storage refer to the food packaging label to see the shelf life of the food.
- It is important to wrap the food in such a way that prevents water, humidity, or condensation from getting inside.
After grocery shopping:
- Ensure that the packaging is not damaged – the food could deteriorate. If the package is swollen or wet, it might have not been stored in the optimal conditions and defrosting may have already started.
- To limit the defrosting process buy frozen goods at the end of your grocery shopping and transport them in a thermal and insulated cool bag.
- Place the frozen foods immediately in the freezer after coming back from the shop.
- If food has defrosted even partially, do not re-freeze it. Consume it as soon as possible.
- Respect the expiry date and the storage information on the package.
|Type of food||Shelf life (months)|
|Fruits (except citrus)||6 – 12|
|Vegetables||8 – 10|
|Leftovers without meat||1 – 2|
Soft cheese (e.g. mozzarella)
Hard cheese (e.g. parmesan, cheddar)
|6 – 9
3 – 4
|Fatty fish (e.g. salmon, mackerel)||2 – 3|
|Lean fish (e.g. cod, flounder)||4 – 6|
|Shucked clams and mussels||3 – 4|
|Cooked fish||1 – 2|
|Poultry||9 – 12|
|Beef||6 – 12|
|Pork||4 – 6|
|Lamb||6 – 9|
|Sausage||1 – 2|
|Ham||1 – 2|
|Leftovers with meat||2 – 3|
CARE AND CLEANING
WARNING: Refer to Safety chapters.
Cleaning the interior
Before using the appliance for the first time, the interior and all internal accessories should be washed with lukewarm water and some neutral soap to remove the typical smell of a brand-new product, then dried thoroughly.
- Do not use detergents, abrasive powders, chlorine, or oil-based cleaners as they will damage the finish.
- The accessories and parts of the appliance are not suitable for washing in a dishwasher.
The equipment has to be cleaned regularly:
- Clean the inside and accessories with lukewarm water and some neutral soap.
- Regularly check the door seals and wipe them clean to ensure they are clean and free from debris.
- Rinse and dry thoroughly.
Defrosting of the freezer
The freezer compartment is frost-free. This means that there is no build-up of frost when it is in operation, neither on the internal walls nor on the food.
Period of non-operation
When the appliance is not in use for a long period, take the following precautions:
- Disconnect the appliance from the electricity supply.
- Remove all food.
- Clean the appliance and all accessories.
- Leave the door open to prevent unpleasant smells.
WARNING: Refer to Safety chapters.
What to do if…
|The appliance does not operate.||The appliance is switched off.||Switch on the appliance.|
|The mains plug is not connected to the mains socket correctly.||Connect the mains plug to the mains socket correctly.|
|There is no voltage in the main socket.||Connect a different electrical appliance to the main socket. Contact a qualified electrician.|
|The appliance is noisy.||The appliance is not supported properly.||Check if the appliance stands stable.|
|The acoustic or visual alarm is on.||The cabinet has been recently switched on.||Refer to “Door Open Alarm” or “High-Temperature Alarm”.|
|The temperature in the appliance is too high.||Refer to “Door Open Alarm” or “High Temperature Alarm”.|
|The door is left open.||Close the door.|
|The compressor operates Temperature is set to incur‐ Refer to “Control Panel” continually. recently. chapter.|
|Many food products were put in at the same time.||Wait a few hours and then check the temperature again.|
|The room temperature is too high.||Refer to “Installation” chapter.|
|Food products placed in the appliance were too warm.||Allow food products to cool to room temperature be‐ fore storing.|
|The door is not closed correctly.||Refer to the “Closing the door” section.|
|The fast freeze function is switched on.||Refer to the “FastFreeze function” section.|
|The compressor does not The compressor starts at‐ start immediately after ter a period of time. pressing the “FastFreeze”,
or after changing the temperature.
|This is normal, no error has occurred.|
|The door is misaligned or inter‐ The appliance is not level‐ feres with ventilation grill. led.||Refer to installation instructions.|
|The door does not open easily. You attempted to re-open
the door immediately after closing.
|Wait at least 30 seconds between closing and re-opening of the door.|
|The side panels of the appliance are warm.||This is a normal state caused by the operation of the heat exchanger.|
|There is too much frost The door is not closed cor‐ and ice. recently.||Refer to the “Closing the door” section.|
|The gasket is deformed or dirty.||Refer to the “Closing the door” section.|
|Food products are not wrapped properly.||Wrap the food products better.|
|The temperature is set incorrectly.||Refer to the “Control Panel” chapter.|
|The appliance is fully loaded and is set to the lowest temperature.||Set a higher temperature. Refer to the “Control Panel” chapter.|
|The temperature set in the appliance is too low and the ambient temperature is too high.||Set a higher temperature. Refer to the “Control Panel” chapter.|
|Water flows on the floor.||The melting water outlet is not connected to the evaporative tray above the compressor.||Attach the melting water outlet to the evaporative tray.|
|Problem Possible cause||Solution|
|Temperature cannot be The “FastFreeze function” set. is switched on.||Switch off the “FastFreeze function” manually, or wait until the function deactivates and automatically sets the temperature. Refer to the “FastFreeze function” section.|
|The temperature in the ap‐ The temperature is not set appliance is too low/too high. correctly.||Set a higher/lower temperature.|
|The door is not closed correctly.||Refer to the “Closing the door” section.|
|The food products’ temperature is too high.||Let the food products temperature decrease to room temperature before storage.|
|Many food products are stored at the same time.||Storeless food products at the same time.|
|The door has been opened often.||Open the door only if necessary.|
|The fast freeze function is switched on.||Refer to the “FastFreeze function” section.|
|There is no cold air circulation in the appliance.||Make sure that there is cold air circulation in the appliance. Refer to the “Hints and Tips” chapter.|
|Temperature setting LEDs An error has occurred in flash at the same time. measuring the tempera‐
|Contact the nearest Authorised Service Centre. The cooling system will continue to keep food products cold, but temperature adjustment will not be possible.|
If the advice does not lead to the desired result, call the nearest Authorized Service Centre.
Closing the door
- Clean the door gaskets.
- If necessary, adjust the door. Refer to installation instructions.
- If necessary, replace the defective door gaskets. Contact the Authorised Service Centre.
The technical information is situated in the rating plate on the internal side of the appliance and on the energy label. The QR code on the energy label supplied with the appliance provides a web link to the information related to the performance of the appliance in the EU EPREL database. Keep the energy label for reference together with the user manual and all other documents provided with this appliance. It is also possible to find the same information in EPREL using the link https://eprel.ec.europa.eu and the model name and product number that you find on the rating plate of the appliance. See the link www.theenergy.label.EU for detailed information about the energy label.
INFORMATION FOR TEST INSTITUTES
Installation and preparation of the appliance for any EcoDesign verification shall be compliant with EN 62552. Ventilation requirements, recess dimensions, and minimum rear clearances shall be as stated in this User Manual in Chapter 3. Please contact the manufacturer for any other further information, including loading plans.
Recycle materials with the symbol. Put the packaging in relevant containers to recycle it. Help protect the environment and human health by recycling waste of electrical and electronic appliances. Do not dispose of appliances marked with the symbol with the household waste. Return the product to your local recycling facility or contact your municipal office.
Documents / Resources
|Electrolux LUC4NE23W Freestanding Freezer [pdf] User Manual|
LUC4NE23W, Freestanding Freezer, LUC4NE23W Freestanding Freezer
- APPLiA Europe | The new Energy Label | Belgium
- Register Your Appliance – Product Registration – Electrolux