CONAIR GMT8CS Beard and Mustache Trimmer Instruction Manual
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
When using electrical appliances, especially when children are present, basic safety precautions should always be taken, including the following:
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING
Keep away from water
DANGER – Any appliance is electrically live, even when the switch is off.
To reduce the risk of death or injury by electric shock:
- always unplug appliance from electrical outlet immediately after using.
- Do not place or store appliance where it could fall or be pulled into a tub or sink.
- Do not use appliance while bathing or in the shower.
- Do not place appliance in, or drop into, water or other liquid.
- If appliance has fallen into water, do not reach for it. Unplug immediately.
- Unplug this appliance before cleaning.
DO NOT REACH INTO THE WATER
WARNING – To reduce the risk of burns, electric shock, fire, or injury to persons:
- Never leave a plugged-in appliance unattended.
- This appliance should not be used by, on, or near children or individuals with certain disabilities.
- Use appliance only for its intended use as described in this manual. Only use attachments recommended by the manufacturer. Do not use an extension cord to operate the appliance.
- Never operate the appliance if it has a damaged cord or plug, is not working properly, has been dropped or damaged, or dropped into water. Return the appliance to a Conair service center for examination and repair.
- Keep the appliance cord away from heated surfaces.
- Do not pull, twist or wrap the cord around the appliance.
- Never drop or insert any object into any opening of the appliance.
- Do not place the appliance on any surface while it is operating.
- Do not use the appliance with a damaged or broken comb or with teeth missing from the blades, as injury may result. Before each use, make certain the blades are aligned properly.
- Do not use the appliance outdoors or where aerosol (spray) products are being used or oxygen is being administered.
- Never operate the appliance with the air openings blocks or while on a soft surface, such as a bed or couch, where the air openings may be blocked. Keep the air openings free of lint, hair, and the like.
THIS PRODUCT IS FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
This appliance is intended for household use.
Use on alternating current (120V AC 60HZ) only.
- For dry location use only. Do not expose to water.
- When not in use, unplug unit completely.
- Never operate this unit if the specification is out of the rating.
- When using this unit, a warm temperature will be reached.
If your corded trimmer does not seem to be functioning, take the following troubleshooting steps before returning it for repair:
Be sure the electrical outlet is working by plugging in another appliance to test the outlet.
To reduce the risk of electric shock, this appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). This plug will fit in a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician to install the proper outlet. Do not change the plug in any way. Do not attempt to defeat this safety feature.
USER MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS
TAKING CARE OF YOUR TRIMMER
OILING THE BLADES (OIL NOT INCLUDED)
About once a month you should oil the trimmer blades. It is best to do this over a piece of newspaper. Turn the trimmer on and hold it so that the blades are pointed downward. Spread one drop of light mineral oil across the blades, then turn the trimmer off and wipe away the excess oil with a soft cloth.
Be careful not to use too much oil and don’t oil your trimmer more than necessary, as this could damage the motor. (Never attempt to oil the motor bearing, as it is permanently lubricated.)
Because the trimmer blades are precision-made for a very special use, they should always be handled with care. Each time you finish using the trimmer, brush away any loose hair that has collected in the blades. Then store the trimmer until the next use.
To promote the long life of the appliance, use your trimmer only for the purpose intended by the manufacturer – to trim your beard and mustache.
To operate, simply slide switch toward blade, to stop, simply slide switch away from blade.
GROWING A BEARD AND MUSTACHE
There are three key factors that will determine which beard or mustache style is best for you:
- The shape and dimensions of your face.
- The natural growth of your beard/ mustache.
- The thickness of your beard/mustache. If you are unsure about the type of beard or mustache that would most suit your face, speak with a professional hair stylist and ask for an opinion on what style would be best. Once your beard or mustache has been styled, it is essential that you maintain its appearance. To do this, use your trimmer to trim your beard/mustache weekly.
For the best trimming results, your beard or mustache should be slightly damp (NOT WET) when using your trimmer. This will prevent the trimmer from removing more hair than desired.
TYPES OF BEARD/MUSTACHES
OUTLINING YOUR BEARD
- It is always best to begin with a clean, slightly damp beard.
- After you have combed through your beard in the direction it grows naturally, you will want to outline the desired shape, beginning under your jawline.
- Begin defining your beard’s shape under your chin and work upward on each side of your face toward your ears. Then define the upper outline of your beard across your cheeks, past your sideburns, and toward your hairline.
TO TRIM YOUR BEARD OR MUSTACHE
- The trimmer includes two jawline combs, which provide lengths of 3mm (shortest) to 5mm (longest).
- To use one of the attachments, press it down over the trimmer blades until it clicks into position. At first, until you become familiar with the combs, use the longest comb first. (You can always go back and make your beard or mustache a little shorter.).
- Begin trimming your beard using smooth, even strokes. Start with your sideburns and work downward toward your chin. (Never attempt to trim against the natural growth of your beard because the hair will be cut too short.)
- If you decide you want a closer trim, you can now switch to the shorter comb (3mm) and go over your beard again until you achieve the desired length. Turn off the trimmer and remove the attachment by gently pulling up on the tab.
- To trim your mustache, comb through your mustache in the direction it grows.
- Place the 5-position comb over the facial hair blade and snap it into position. The 5-position comb provides 2-10mm.
- After your mustache has been trimmed to the desired length, remove the 5-position comb and, using the blades only, define the outline of the bottom of your mustache.
BLENDING THE JAWLINE
- The two jawline attachments will also help you to achieve a neat, finished trim under your chin.
- Hold the trimmer in an upright position and begin trimming under your jawline using short, even strokes. Start with the longest comb and move to the shorter combs for a closer trim.
CARE OF YOUR TRIMMER
REPLACEMENT (REMOVAL) OF BLADE SET
To remove blade set from your trimmer, make sure the trimmer is in the OFF position. Remove the blade set by placing thumb against the smaller cutter and pushing forward, releasing the cutter assembly from the trimmer housing. Replace with new cutting system and reverse the removal procedure, only this time place your thumb on the large cutter and snap into place.
GMT8CS BEARD/MUSTACHE TRIMMER
©2010 Conair Corporation
7475 North Glen Harbor Blvd.
Glendale, AZ 85307
TRIMMER REPLACEMENT PARTS & ACCESSORIES ORDER FORM
Pricing in effect through June 1, 2010. Orders postmarked after this date will be accepted, and the customer will be notified if pricing has changed.
Documents / Resources
|CONAIR GMT8CS Corded Beard and Mustache Trimmer [pdf] Instruction Manual|
GMT8CS, Corded Beard and Mustache Trimmer