CLEVER CHOICE DUO EAR & FOREHEAD Infrared Thermometer Instruction Manual
Thank you for choosing the Clever Choice Duo TM Ear & Forehead Thermometer, by Simple Diagnostics.
The infrared thermometer CLETEF-786 can be used to read body temperature by measuring the ear or forehead temperature, and is suitable for both adult and children.
NOTE: temperature of children below 3 months cannot be accurately measured with the Ear testing mode.
Please read the instructions carefully before using the product, and put it in a safe and secure place for future reference.
The Advantages of Clever Choice Duo™
Dual mode (forehead temperature and ear temperature) Thanks to dual mode design, you are free to take body temperature by detecting the infrared heat given off by the forehead or eardrum, The forehead temperature measurement range is from 89.6℉ to 108.0℉（32℃ to 42.2℃）.The ear temperature measurement range is from 32.0℉ to 212.0℉（0℃ to 100.0℃）.
The product consists of ABS plastics, temperature sensor, Infrared temperature measuring element, microcomputer controlled circuit, LCD , backlight and buzzer.
Convenient for use
Special ergonomic design to facilitate operation.
No inconvenience would be caused to your daily life. It’s available for measurement when your children’s sleeping.
It provides comfortable user experience compared with anus thermometer for children, rapid reading and simple operation compared with mouth thermometer.
A maximum of 20 previous readings is available to help you track the changes of your body temperature.
Safe and hygienic
Compared to mercury thermometer, there is no danger of breaking the glass or swallowing mercury.
It is completely safe for children to use.
After a reading, the backlight will appear green, orange, or red to indicate presence and severity of a fever. When the temperature is more than or equal to 38.0°C/100.4?, there will be 6 short double and half beeps and the reading will flicker with orange backlight for 5 seconds. This indicates that you may have a fever. Please consult your doctor if you are not sure. If fever is worse, the backlight will appear red.
Extensive clinical data of hospital
The cooperation with designated hospitals is subjected to precise clinical verification, with the support of extensive clinical data and professional medical experts.
The thermometer takes human body temperature for clinical or household use. It applies to all age groups and those who are suffering from a fever. (Ear temperature mode should not be used for children below 3 months)
The infrared temperature sensor detects infrared energy emitted by the eardrum. A built-in lens focuses the collected energy, which is converted into a temperature reading by the thermopiles and measurement circuits.
Necessary Safety Instructions
The device is not for use with newborn babies.
The device is not a continuous monitoring device.
CLETEF-786 is not waterproof. Please do not douse it with water or other liquids. Cleaning and disinfection procedure shall be in comply with the instructions specified in “cleaning and storage”
Please do not use the product if the temperature sensor or the infrared thermometer shows any sign of damage. Do not try to repair the product if it is damaged. Please contact Simple Diagnostics Customer Service.
CLETEF-786 consists of precision parts. No replacement shall be provided for damage due to intense shock or vibration. Do not twist the infrared thermometer and the temperature sensor.
- Temperature: 10°C to 40°C
- Humidity: 15% – 95%RH, non-condensing
- Atmospheric pressure: 86kPa to 106kPa
Storage and Shipping Conditions
- Temperature: -20°C to 55°C
- Humidity: 0-95% RH, non-condensing
- Atmospheric pressure: 50kPa to 106kPa
Put the two AAA batteries into battery compartment in correct polarities.
Push the battery cover horizontally along the arrow to close.
☆ If you using the thermometer for the first time, please pull out the Plastic sheet .
☆ Battery polarities should be correct. Otherwise, the device may be damage.
☆ Please remove the batteries if the thermometer will not be used for a prolonged time.
Please keep this infrared thermometer away from children
This thermometer is not a substitute for Medical Assistance
The infrared thermometer is not waterproof, Keep it away from water.
- Probe cover (put the cover on when using forehead mode)
- Probe (take off the cover when using ear mode)
- Head button
- LCD display screen
- Ear button
- Battery cover
- Ambient temperature
- Ready for measurement
- Ear mode
- Forehead mode
- Temperature unit (℃/ ℉)
- Low power indicator
- Memory mode
- Temperature value
How to Use Forehead Mode
- As shown in Figure A, put the cover on the probe, and position the thermometer at the center of the forehead, just above the eyebrow. Ensure that the thermometer is in contact with the forehead.
- Press and release the Head button. The temperature will be displayed on the screen instantly.
Continuous measurement (more accurate)
As shown in Figure B, press and hold the Head button, slide the thermometer across the forehead from one temple to the other and then release the button. The temperature will display on LCD screen.
Note: During continuous measurement the LCD displays the current read temperature value about every 0.5 seconds and then shows the maximum temperature value at the end.
How to Use Ear Mode
- Gently remove the sensor/probe cover to reveal the ear probe.
- Insert the ear probe into the ear canal. Ensure that the sensor is pointer towards the eardrum.
- Press and release the Ear button. The temperature will be displayed on the screen instantly. You can take another measurement when the backlight is off.
Children under 1 year: Pull their ear straight back.
Children aged 1 year to adult: Pull the ear up and back.
To Avoid Inaccurate Readings:
- Make sure that there is no dirt in or on the temperature sensor
- Use the device indoors, or with no strong winds.
- Make sure there is no sweat on the forehead.
- Make sure the ear canal is clean.
- Hold still and keep calm during measurement.
- If Clever Choice Duo TM is moved to an area with a different ambient temperature, wait 30 minutes before testing.
- If the patient moves to a room with a different ambient temperature, it is suggested to wait at least 10 minutes to test.
- Do not hold the unit for too long, as it is highly sensitive to heat.
Sound and Backlight Information
- When the temperature is less than or equal to 37.4°C/99.4?, there will be a long beep with green backlight. This indicates that the temperature is normal.
- When the temperature is between 37.5°C/99.5? to 37.9°C/100.3?, there will be a long beep with yellow backlight for 3 seconds. This indicates that the temperature is a little high. It should be noted.
- When the temperature is more than or equal to 38.0°C/100.4?, there will be 6 short double and half beeps and the reading will flicker with red backlight for 5 seconds. This indicates that you may have a fever. Please consult your doctor if you are not sure.
Display and Operation Instructions
You must wait for the backlight to
turn off before measuring again.
Electromagnetic interference: contains sensitive electronic components and should not be used in the presence of large electromagnetic interference, (such as near mobile phones and microwaves)
Please dispose of the product and batteries in
accordance with local regulation requirements.
Cleaning and Disinfection
- Clean the temperature probe with a soft cloth. Clean the lens of the temperature probe with a cotton swab.
- Wipe the thermometer body with a slightly damp soft cloth, and gently dry the body with a piece of tissue paper.
Keep water off the lens during the cleaning process. Otherwise,
the lens may be damaged.
The lens may be scratched if it is cleaned with a piece of tissue
paper, resulting in inaccurate readings.
Do not clean the thermometer with corrosive cleansers. During the cleaning process, do not touch the lens using hard objects, immerse any part of the thermometer into liquid, or allow liquid to enter the thermometer.
- Disinfect the thermometer body and the area around the temperature probe with a cloth slightly moistened with 75% medical alcohol.
Do not use hot steam or ultraviolet radiation for disinfection.
Otherwise, the thermometer may be damaged or age quickly.
- After each use, clean the temperature probe as described in “Cleaning and Disinfection”.
- Store the thermometer in a dry, dust-free, and well-ventilated place. Ensure that the thermometer is not exposed to sunlight. Ensure that the storage and transportation environments meet these requirements
- Check whether safety risks exist on a regular basis.
- Remove the batteries if the thermometer will not be used for more than two months.
Replacing the Batteries
- Slide the battery cover off along the marked direction. Put two AAA batteries correctly into the compartment.
- Remove the batteries if the thermometer will not be used for more than two months.
The infrared thermometer has been tested and conforms to the standard ASTM E1965-98. ASTM laboratory accuracy requirements in the display range of 96.8°F to102.2°F (36°C-39°C) for ear canal IR thermometers is ±0.4°F (±0.2°C) and for skin IR thermometers is ±0.5°F (±0.3°C). Note that for mercury-in-glass and electronic thermometers, the requirement per ASTM Standards E667-86 and E1112-86 is ±0.2°F (±0.1°C).
The device is under warranty for one year since the date of acquisition. Application for repairing should be presented during the warranty period. The damage caused by improper use is not under warranty scope. Batteries and packaging are not under warranty scope as well.
Anti-electric shock type: internally powered equipment.
Anti-electric shock degree: Type BF applied part.
Suite B, 29Harley Street, LONDON, W1G9QR,U.K.
EMC of this product complies with IEC60601-1-2 standard. The materials which the user can come into contact have no toxicity and no action on tissues comply with ISO10993-1, ISO10993-5 and ISO10993-10.
EMC Information-Guidance and Manufacture’s Declaration
- CLETEF-786 Infrared Thermometer needs special precautions regarding EMC and needs to be installed and put into service according to the EMC information provided for in the ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTS.
- Portable and mobile RF communications equipment can affect CLETEF-786 Infrared Thermometer
- The CLETEF-786 Infrared Thermometer should not be used adjacent to or stacked with other equipment.
Guidance and manufacturer´s declaration – electromagnetic emission –for all EQUIPMENT AND SYSTEMS
Guidance and manufacturer’s declaration – electromagnetic immunity –for all EQUIPMENT and SYSTEMS
Guidance and manufacturer´s declaration – electromagnetic immunity –for EQUIPMENT and SYSTEM that are not LIFE-SUPPORTING
Recommended separation distances between portable and mobile RF communications equipment and the EQUIPMENT or SYSTEM – for EQUIPMENT and SYSTEMS that are not LIFE-SUPPORTING
Recommended separation distances between portable and mobile RF communications equipment and the CLETEF-786 Infrared Thermometer.
The CLETEF-786 Infrared Thermometer is intended for use in an electromagnetic environment in which radiated RF disturbances are controlled. The customer or the user of the CLETEF-786 Infrared Thermometer can help prevent electromagnetic interference by maintaining a minimum distance between portable and mobile RF communications equipment (transmitters) and the CLETEF-786 Infrared Thermometer as recommended below, according to the maximum output power of the communications equipment.
For transmitters rated at a maximum output power not listed above, the recommended separation distance d in meters (m) can be estimated using the equation applicable to the frequency of the transmitter, where P is the maximum output power rating of the transmitter in watts (W) according to the transmitter manufacturer.
NOTE 1 – At 80 MHz and 800 MHz, the separation distance for the higher frequency range applies.
NOTE 2 – These guidelines may not apply in all situations. Electromagnetic propagation is affected by absorption and reflection from structures, objects and people.