ceramicspeed OSPW X for Shimano RX/GRX Instruction Manual
Mounting the Ceramic Speed Oversized Pulley Wheel X System for Shimano XR/GRX
- Pulley wheel bolts
- Tower bolts
- Back cage plate
- Upper pulley
- Lower pulley
- M7 pivot screw
- Front cage
- Rotation stop screw
- Pulley wheel lubrication points
- Placement chip
For a good result after installation, ensure that the existing setup is performing/shifting correctly before mounting the OSPW X. A common cause of imperfect shifting is poor shift cable/housing setup from the shifter to the derailleur, misalignment of the derailleur hanger, or poor b-limit adjustment.
For the installation of your new Ceramic Speed Oversized Pulley Wheel X for Shimano RX/GRX you will need the following tools:
- A: 2mm Allen key
- B: 2,5mm Allen key
- C: 3mm Allen key
- D: 4mm Allen key
- E: Chain Tool
- F: Philips screwdriver
- G: Torque wrench 0,3 & 1 Nm
- H: Torque wrench 3 & 6 Nm
To ensure the very best in riding performance it is vital that your new OSPW X System is mounted correctly. Follow these instructions to install your OSPW X System for Shimano RX/GRX:
- Begin with your bike mounted in a stand. Remove the rear wheel.
- Remove your chain by using the proper chain tool. When completing the installation of the OSPW System you may need to start with a new, uncut chain.
Note: it is not recommended to add links to a previously ridden chain.
- Next, shift the derailleur up, past the cable routing mount. Using one hand to rotate the front pulley cage plate (A) downward, locate and remove the Philips head rotation stop screw (B). Carefully allow the pulley cage spring to unwind, releasing the spring tension. Your derailleur cage will appear to be upside down.
- Remove the 3 screws on the clutch cover with a 2mm Allen Key. Please note the rubber gasket that sits between the clutch cover and derailleur body. Carefully set the cover, gasket, and screws aside as they will be reinstalled.
- Hold the original cage and loosen the main mounting screw inside the clutch with a 4mm Allen key and remove the original cage. Take care that all the clutch parts remains in the original position, flat against the derailleur body.
Once the cage is free, be careful to not drop the pulley spring and/or plastic spacer.
- Remove the Aluminium washer, spring and plastic dust from the Shimano cage and set it aside. The end of the spring is hooked to lock into the pulley cage, you may need to wiggle the spring to release the hook from the cage.
- Unbox the OSPW X and remove the original stop screw and silver placement chip. with a 2,5mm Allen key. For RX800, RX805, and GRX810 derailleurs, you will only use the rotation stop screw.
For GRX815 derailleurs you will use the silver placement chip.
- Place the factory alloy washer, spring and plastic cover onto the face of the OSPW X cage. Make sure that the plastic dust cover is facing the same way on the OSPW X cage as on the Shimano assembly. The flat face should sit against the OSPW X cage.
Note the four spring tension settings on the OSPW cage: from H (high) to L (low). The L tension setting will reduce both chain tension and friction, but can result in slightly compromised shifting performance. The H tension setting provides the best in shifting performance, yet it will increase friction over lower tension settings.
For general mixed terrain (dirt/gravel) or Cyclo-Cross racing, select the spring tension hole next to H (second highest tension) and insert the end of the spring until it’s hooked. The plastic dust cover must be placed over the spring and aligned with the spring notch on the derailleur body.
- Hold the derailleur body back, and position the OSPW X cage facing forward. Align the tension spring and plastic dust cover into the square shaped slot of the derailleur body and insert it until it sits flush. Pivot the system back and forth to ensure smooth movement and spring engagement. The clutch mechanism may be pushed out slightly at this time.
- Carefully align the male threads of the cage with the female threads in the derailleur, and slowly thread the mounting bolt within the clutch with a 4mm Allen to avoid cross threading.
Hold the OSPW X cage still and tighten the main mounting bolt inside the clutch to 6 Nm. Take care that the clutch remains in the original position during the installation.
- Rotate the cage counter-clockwise seen from the face of the derailleur (up first and then backwards) to increase the spring tension.
Mechanical GRX (810) and Ultegra RX800/805: The silver placement chip will not be used. Mount the Ceramic Speed stop screw with a 2,5mm Allen key. Tighten to 1 Nm.
Electronic GRX (815): The silver placement chip must be included placed over the Ceramic Speed stop screw. Begin threading the stop screw 2 revolutions and align the placement chip in the recess. Tighten the stop screw to 1,0 Nm.
- Position the clutch cover in place over the clutch, taking careful note of the gasket and install the three screws with a 2mm Allen Key to 1 Nm.
- Your new OSPW X System is now installed.
Shift the derailleur to the bottom, and install the rear wheel. Follow the below chain length guide to determine if your existing chain is suffienct in length, or if a new, longer, chain is required. Confirm the upper lower limits, and adjust the gears until they are appropriately aligned with the cassette sprockets.
Test the present chain length acc. to the description below. If it turns out to be necessary to change the chain length, follow the description below.
Recommendation on upper pulley clearance on the largest cog (adjusting of B-limit) = 10-15mm depending on cassette size.
STEP 1: Place the chain on the smallest cog on the cassette and the small front chain ring. To find the correct chain length, pull the two chain ends together, just as you would when needing to cut a chain to length. The lower part of the cage should start to move downwards, away from the cassette, as referenced in the second image.
STEP 2: When tension is applied on the chain and the OSPW X System appears to be aligned as the diagram above, the chain needs to be cut (1 link shorter than step 1) and connected by the required amount of links in order to achieve sufficient tension in this gear combination (always the small cog on the cassette).
STEP 3: With the chain now cut to length it is important to test the clearance of the OSPW X System when the rear derailleur is set in the largest cog on the cassette. Just as the arrow indicates the cage should be able to rotate counter clockwise. It is important that there is some clearance between the upper pulley wheel of the OSPW X System and the largest cog on the cassette. If you find the clearance is not enough, adjust the B-tension accordingly.
Documents / Resources
|ceramicspeed OSPW X for Shimano RX/GRX [pdf] Instruction Manual|
OSPW X for Shimano RX GRX, OSPW X for Shimano RX, OSPW X for Shimano GRX, OSPW X, Shimano RX, Shimano GRX